Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the best usb solution!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i didn’t read this anywhere but i thought I’d share this. I found the best usb hub for the tesla camera and music drive. It’s an anker hub for $9.99. It has 4 other USB ports. It was recommended to me when I emailed jeda (wireless charger) for recommendations. I’ve tested it and I’m happy. It handles usb thumb drive for music, and another usb drive for the TeslaCam. I can play mp3 files while recording video. Video was saved with no problem. And the best part it also runs the wireless charger plugged into the hub. It leaves the other usb input in the smartphone area for full 7.5w charging for my iPhone or another wireless usb charger that will reach full speed charging.

I’ve tested 3 other usb splitters on amazon ranging from $5-6 dollars without good results. All were duds. At least this one saves video and plays songs with no issue.

Attachments

• C73C0307-6A2D-41B8-8C4E-9231FBD4EDF7.png
    C73C0307-6A2D-41B8-8C4E-9231FBD4EDF7.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 1,028
I've been using two of the Sabrent style USB hubs in my car for several months. I have a ROAV dashcam and microSDHC USB adapter (for the Tesla dashcam and music) in one port and the phone charger cables in the other USB port. I have occasionally plugged my phone in but have yet to attempt to have four devices running at the same time.

Reactions: dlinsley
I have one of those Sabrent ones, something happened during yesterdays update, and the data connection stopped working on it. I had my ssd plugged into it, and tried all kinds of things before discovering that it was the hub. So now I'm just using the hub for powering my wireless charger. I've ordered the Anker hub listed above.

Ok I drove the car today. Plug a wireless charger on the anker hub. Also have the usb music stick and usb/micro sad card on the same anker hub. iPhone XS Max went from 89% to 93% in 15 mins. Not exactly fast but it’s decent for long road trips. I wasn’t running a mapping app on the phone.

Then again I would use the dedicated usb input that is not using the usb hub for my phone and I’m sure I’d get fast charging.

OK- I see a consensus building around (Amazon) Anker USB Hub. I am inclined to purchase it, but before I do, I'd appreciate the Tesla community's wisdom here-
My usual front USB setup at my Model-3 requires the following ports:
1+2-charging two cellphones, 3-TeslaCam, 4-USB for my music/Podcasts. I am a little concerned about the Anker/4 ability to supply the needed power. See these two comments I've found on Amazon :

1. Specs/ Power Usage:
For a stable connection, avoid connecting high power-consumption devices, such as external hard drives. The hub will sync but not charge tablets and other devices that require a higher power input. Data Port Output Current:4 USB 3.0 Port

2. User review/ Unit is compact, very light, and well made; supports a total of 900 mA which is what a USB 3.0 Port can supply; if you have USB 2.0 ports, be careful that the total of all the devices plugged into this hub is 500 mA or less; there is a chart which lists a few common devices but you can check how much current a device is drawing by opening:

Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus Controllers --> Select the port or hub --> select the Power Tab.....

Cons; product description did not indicate total mA supported by this device; also a caution about using it only for 500 mA max (USB 2.0) or 900 mA max (USB 3.0) would have been very appropriate in the buying description.

Any comments?

Anker USB3 x4.JPG

It would be unrealistic to believe you will get full power charging using a hub. I like the anker one because, it works, and it frees up one usb input that will charge my phone and give it full power. The other phone charging (which is rare) will get less than full charging. My phone will sometimes run waze therefore it needs all the power it can possibly need.

I only tried wireless charging on the anker hub not wired charging. I believe iOS devices will have problems charging wired directly to the hub according to the amazon description.

This anker setup is great for those wireless charging pads as well. I’m planning to get one when taptes releases gen 2 wireless pads in June.

Reactions: SoccerMan94043
Question, as I am about to utilize one forward USB for the camera, can playback be performed on the center screen or do I need to use a computer for playback of files?

Right now you have to view them on your computer (or get an adaptor that can plug into your phone). I assume we'll eventually have an update that includes the ability to review the footage on the screen though.

OK- I see a consensus building around (Amazon) Anker USB Hub. I am inclined to purchase it, but before I do, I'd appreciate the Tesla community's wisdom here-
My usual front USB setup at my Model-3 requires the following ports:
1+2-charging two cellphones, 3-TeslaCam, 4-USB for my music/Podcasts. I am a little concerned about the Anker/4 ability to supply the needed power. See these two comments I've found on Amazon :

1. Specs/ Power Usage:
For a stable connection, avoid connecting high power-consumption devices, such as external hard drives. The hub will sync but not charge tablets and other devices that require a higher power input. Data Port Output Current:4 USB 3.0 Port

2. User review/ Unit is compact, very light, and well made; supports a total of 900 mA which is what a USB 3.0 Port can supply; if you have USB 2.0 ports, be careful that the total of all the devices plugged into this hub is 500 mA or less; there is a chart which lists a few common devices but you can check how much current a device is drawing by opening:

Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Universal Serial Bus Controllers --> Select the port or hub --> select the Power Tab.....

Cons; product description did not indicate total mA supported by this device; also a caution about using it only for 500 mA max (USB 2.0) or 900 mA max (USB 3.0) would have been very appropriate in the buying description.

Any comments?

View attachment 413639

I have a two separate USBs for the CAM and for music and the other two ports of the Anker are filled with the Jeda wireless pad. I use the second Tesla USB port to keep a cable for my wife's old Apple 6 device. I can play music, record the cam footage charge my phone on the pad and charge my wife's phone, at the same time, with this setup.

It might drop the amps for charging, don't really know, but it works.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
I have a two separate USBs for the CAM and for music and the other two ports of the Anker are filled with the Jeda wireless pad. I use the second Tesla USB port to keep a cable for my wife's old Apple 6 device. I can play music, record the cam footage charge my phone on the pad and charge my wife's phone, at the same time, with this setup.

It might drop the amps for charging, don't really know, but it works.
Nice. Do you lose gps signal when you put your phone on the charging pad? My phone loses gps signal 50% of the time