Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the FM/HD radio unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XM would be very, very nice. I don't get cellular or FM reception near my house in the hills but XM works well. Same thing for Tahoe - seldom get any cellular reception there. Because of this using the app is out of the question.

AM would also be useful - in California you have to tune to AM (usually 1610 or 1670) for road conditions during snowstorms.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Electric motors interfer with the AM reception. Well known fact and something that they haven't been able to get around.
Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio It's pretty horrible in our Model S and we don't even bother with it and look for AM stations that migrated to internet radio on TuneIn.

I'd love to add XM to my future Model 3. We have the ability in our Model S because we purchased the sunroof on it but unless there's some way with the Model 3 currently or they include an option for a similar sunroof on the Model 3 hoping with the AWD version, kind of stuck without it.

Last edited:
8AA74D32-18A1-463A-BE58-28303C2E28FC.jpeg
Tesla 3’s and others being delivered in Los Angeles, Black w/Aero and White w/sport wherls!

In our area most of the bigger AM stations (like the ones that carry sports and news) are usually simulcast on a secondary HD FM channel. With that said, it probably still doesn't work in rural areas where FM reception may not be good enough to get HD quality signals.

So that is the "head unit" of the Model 3 radio? Is there any way I can plug a Sirius receiver into it?

And if there is, how then would I control Sirius satellite radio in the car? Set the radio to a predetermined frequency and that's the Sirius?

For all of you suggesting AM via FM simulcast or FM "HD" digital sub-channel, this might work for listening to sports/talk radio in most areas, but this does nothing to solve the problem of traveler information stations on AM, or cases where an area is too remote for FM but AM still works. The former is an important tool to have, the latter is just nice to have.

Regarding sports on AM radio. Even though many AM radio stations stream online, stations that broadcast professional sporting events normally block them from the stream, as the professional sporting organizations typically sell their own streaming subscription. For baseball, it probably means subscribing to MLB Gameday audio.

reviving this thread because it's the closest i've seen anyone come to figuring out a way to add satellite radio...has anyone actually tinkered with this to see if something like the fm direct connect would work? it seems there is absolutely no information online anywhere as it relates to this model number and what the connections are (as i just spent about 20 minutes googling)...

to me it looks like the one connector there might be a right angle traditional FM antenna connector (which is what we would need) but i can't tell for sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: pmppk