Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the perfect phone mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is a phone mount necessary on the Model 3? I know the phone plugs in down in the cubby area but why do you need it by the screen? I assume you use the screen for Navigation right? If you're going to use something such as Apple Music, is this why you want your phone viewable?

Reactions: privater
Why is a phone mount necessary on the Model 3? I know the phone plugs in down in the cubby area but why do you need it by the screen? I assume you use the screen for Navigation right? If you're going to use something such as Apple Music, is this why you want your phone viewable?

I really only use Waze for navigation, so I need to see/interact with my phone.

I am also looking forward to printing things for the car.

ABS stinks like crazy and is the plastic that makes 3d printing know for smell. PLA doesn't smell, but also has a lower melting temp. It may get soft in a car in a hot summer day.

In my opinion, for a car, PETG is the way to go -- higher melting temperature and no smell while printing. Just make sure to keep the filament dry. I use this system to keep the filament loaded on my printer from absorbing air moisture: Airtight Filament delivery system (almost) by stephenmhall

with pictures again.

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 1,297
  • tesla2.jpg
    tesla2.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 1,192
  • Informative
Reactions: erthquake
Looks elegant and flows along with the screen. This one is strong enough that it does not wobble. Only problem is that steering wheel covers it a bit.

Amazon

I ended up getting a slightly different model but pretty much the same form factor. Thanks for the lead, OP.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721B4TW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is really helpful... thank you, guys! I’ve been pondering how to mount the phone in the same area to keep my phone within forward line of sight. Question about attachment: does the mount attach to the back of the tablet via suction or adhesive?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
This is really helpful... thank you, guys! I’ve been pondering how to mount the phone in the same area to keep my phone within forward line of sight. Question about attachment: does the mount attach to the back of the tablet via suction or adhesive?

The one I got is semi-adhesive gel. It's sticky to the touch but it's not a permanent stick. You can peel it off. The reason I didn't go with the original model that the OP suggested was that I couldn't confirm in any product description whether the base was suction or adhesive. I think in the way the OP mounted his, it has to be adhesive because the back of the screen is not perfectly smooth; it has a fine sandy texture to it that I think would prevent a good permanent suction.

At the time the thread was created, I didn't have my Model 3 yet so I couldn't verify the back texture, so to be safe, I got an adhesive model.

One other thing to keep in mind is that in a previous adhesive mount in a different car, I had one that pretty much did get permanantly stuck to the windshield. Age, sun exposure, heat, etc probably degraded the material, and when I peeled it off, it left some gel on the windshield that I had to get off with mineral spirits. I dunno if this is common or if I just got a bad model. Willing to take a chance again because I know how to clean it up if it gets stuck like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC
I am going to need a phone mount solution, I fear. First off, the built in connectors really do not allow for much thickness before they become difficult or don't work. Second, I have a non common charging standard (DASH charging) for my fast and low temp charging and if I want to use that then I need to use my own 12v adapter, I can't use the standard USB. Third, my fingerprint reader is at the very bottom of my phone and it makes authentication VERY difficult in the standard bay.... Quite sad. Anyway, I am not sure if I will try this threads suggestion. I would not mount it on the top left side but rather the bottom left side. I have to see. Maybe try to lift it higher in the designated spot (far from ideal)

Looks elegant and flows along with the screen. This one is strong enough that it does not wobble. Only problem is that steering wheel covers

The one I got is semi-adhesive gel. It's sticky to the touch but it's not a permanent stick. You can peel it off. The reason I didn't go with the original model that the OP suggested was that I couldn't confirm in any product description whether the base was suction or adhesive.

Can you guys confirm the sticking type for your respective products and more importantly how well it works against the back of the display?

Reactions: fseir
Have you worked out a charging solution while using this mount? I've been thinking about this very thing for a long time and that's the long pole in the tent.
This. I’ve been searching for a magnetic qi charger that will mount with a suction mount, and articulate enough to allow it to attach to the back of the screen, but so far, no luck. Plus, none of the magnetic chargers seem to allow full rotation (landscape). May be a limitation of qi charging, since there are plenty of magnetic holders that allow rotation.

@insaneoctane

My suction pad is not really suction at all; there is a sticky gel applied to the pad. I've used this kind of mount before on windshields. It is very sticky, but it is intended for you to be able to peel it off and reuse it. It's an interesting material; if it gets dusty, all you do is run it under water, and with a little soap, it goes back to brand new and just as sticky as before (once dry).

It is very solid on the back of the screen. Never going to fall off. I mounted mine exactly like the OP did in his photos. And it looks like OP removed said photos. I can take some pics later.

I also have my steering wheel pretty low, so the wheel is not obstructing view of the phone, and the phone is not obstructing the view out the windshield or the touchscreen. Pretty nice solution.

As for charging, I don't have an elegant solution. Right now, I just dock it below when I'm running low. Historically in other cars, I just bought a cable and had it plugged in to the closest 12V outlet.