Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the rattling noise! 2nd row seatbelt housing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had the Y for 3 weeks I've been trying to track down the mysterious rattle. I have quite a few of them actually. Initially I thought it was the rear right quarter panel where if I punched from the inside you could hear a rattle. I took it into the service center and they said it was a loose amplifier that they stuffed some insulation in and fixed it. I drove away and I still heard a rattle turns out after sitting in the back and crawling around while someone else is driving it was the second row middle seat belt housing. If you pop off the backing it will expose its and you can clearly hear it rattle. Here it is when I bump the seat New video by Peter Pham
I also used the tone gerator app idea and hear the front 2 speakers rattle in the doors I have a service next week . I think there's still one in the right roofline in the back above the 2nd row and something in the center console.

Disappointed so much rattling in this car. I installed rpm Tesla sound dampening kit for wind. Definitely helps. Hoping the Ohlin suspension helps . Also if they come out with the same wheel well and underside kits they did the 3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-192133_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-192133_Photos.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 554
  • Informative
Reactions: mrwug
I have added felt tape a few days ago to (before reading this discussion) and it works well. Roll up a bit of it and stuff it between the metal and plastic. Secure with another layer. Works well.

Yes, Mobile service did help me a few times as well to eliminate rattles. On some visits I actually gave them a roll of felt tape or help them to apply it to panels that had to be removed for other services. :)

interesting, did you mean pull it out the seatbelt while adding the felt tape into the seatbelt hosting? I tired but none of the felt tap work. It will still rattle like crazy. I think the unit itself my be something loose inside

Wish I can find a way to take off the retractor unit itself

Attachments

• 624580E6-C6BE-4903-B4EF-39AADC424749.jpeg
    624580E6-C6BE-4903-B4EF-39AADC424749.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 236