Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the roadster in Malibu!...oh and it was BROKEN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20180105_220601.jpg
Must have broken after this pic:

Franz von Holzhausen on Twitter

Man, I expected to wake up to a bunch of speculation about what happened here, and I have to say, "I am disappoint[ ]."

Do we have an overheated battery? Is it going to turn out that much like the original Roadster was too powerful for the two-speed transmission they tried to use, the new Roadster is too powerful for even the reduction gear? Was this a software glitch?

What would the significance of the wheel chock be? Without it, would the second gen Roadster be rolling down the hill?

I wanted to see some rampant speculation -- but -- woke up to nothing.

Let the speculation begin. I'm guessing some sort of total electrical failure that would require him to physically press the brake to keep the car from rolling, hence the wheel chocks. Who's next?

I'm pretty sure the prototype has no parking brake. If you watch the video on the Tesla site, you can see a wood block behind the rear driver's side tire.

Would the steering still work if it lost power?
My guess is no. It is common practice for experienced drivers in that situation to turn the wheels towards the curb. If the car starts to move, it moves toward the side of road.
And they didn't just back the car up and park it.
Granted it could have seized a drive motor.
The wheel dollies were a curious choice. I'd have used a floor jack personally. It is far less likely to get away from you. I move cars with both, but when the ground is not flat, it's the floor jack that's used.

I absolutely love this car. And yes, total agreement about the color, really fabulous deep color, more jewel toned. Great pics of Franz in all, press photo--really nice shot--and street photos, although I'm sure he wasn't pleased to be stuck there and someone getting photos of it. Ah, the fun of prototypes.