Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

There are a couple of things possibly missing here. One Honda actually contacted their customers about this instead of letting them discover it. Two they have also sold way more cars than Tesla combined I imagine so the statistics of recall I imagine not be a fair comparison. But correct me if I am wrong.

I checked 197,279 in 2008

I have to say of all issues that detract from an otherwise awesome car this has to be the least meaningful, and by a significant margin. The Model Y is fantastic in too many ways to list, but some of the early cars (including mine) do exhibit a number of problems that stem from poor workmanship and ultimately take away from the ownership experience. This bot looks forward to time when these things are resolved and it can actually enjoy the car!

I have to say of all issues that detract from an otherwise awesome car this has to be the least meaningful, and by a significant margin. The Model Y is fantastic in too many ways to list, but some of the early cars (including mine) do exhibit a number of problems that stem from poor workmanship and ultimately take away from the ownership experience. This bot looks forward to time when these things are resolved and it can actually enjoy the car!

Here here! I agree with you. But as long as Tesla employees who hand over cars keep acting like this:

2443D559-D789-4921-A44C-2D36FC02099E.gif

It might not ever happen.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
First post here and anticipated 2022 Cybertruck owner (On the pre-order list :D).

If someone can measure out the strap for me, I can design and 3D print some vibration damping edge protectors for anyone interested.

I can make them be predominantly PETG for structural rigidity but with with TPU on the inner and outer side to provide the actual damping side of things. Maybe even emboss the Tesla logo on there if I won't get sued for it.

I agree with the explanation but I don't think it's irrational to be worried about this fix. That's probably a very expensive assembly. I predict that Tesla will change the design to eliminate the strap. When that happens I suppose someone could argue that they only redesigned it to eliminate the labor of the putting on the strap but I suspect that it's a real reliability issue. Only time will tell!

I agree that they certainly will change the design to eliminate this Home Depot strap thing because it is labor intensive and a reliability issue - not to mention the bad PR for a company that is last in the JD Power ranking of initial defects. I can understand that getting cars delivered is essential right now but issuing a TSB to update all the strap cars as soon as an " automotive grade " design is available is the proper thing to do so this doesn't turn into another yellow borders on the MCU situation. Tesla needs to do this because this Mickey Mouse engineering is actually worse than the yellow borders since it may have the potential to turn into a safety issue and unleash the full fury of the NTSB and the Tort Bar on the company. I can imagine the headlines now " Improper mounting of LCC in Tesla Model Y implicated in cooling system problem that caused battery fire. " If that sounds far fetched recall the bunched up floor mats ( something the customer could see and easily remedy ) that cost Toyota $1.2 billion.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are still defending Tesla on their bandaid fixes.

I think maybe I'll just get another S. Unless the Plaid models are going balsa wood too...

Why does this remind me of that old joke with a wife and husband at the husband's doctor's office:
"Doc, my husband thinks he's a chicken."
"I'd like to send him to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation."
"No. We need the eggs."

Wow, this thread has turned into something else.... I have to say, as far as we know, I think the only MY with the wood pieces was the OP's car, correct? I'm wondering if his car had some variation of the plastic/strap combination, would he have even noticed it? Kind of reminds me of the 'Safety Issue/Missing Bolts' thread which also blew up, when only 2 cars, to our knowledge, actually had them missing.

Reactions: Rroskey
Don't know if anyone has already said this but it looks the wood pieces were added perhaps during shipping from China to the US. Tesla peeps then forgot to remove the band and the wood pieces. The condenser doesn't appear to jut up against anything so it was likely added ad hoc during the shipping process to keep them from damage.
Except the MY isn't built in China yet (or if it is, it's only for China market consumption). All US MY's are built in the US of A.

Wow, this thread has turned into something else.... I have to say, as far as we know, I think the only MY with the wood pieces was the OP's car, correct?

Incorrect. GeezerSquid also confirmed w/photo that he had the wood trim (first page in thread). Others had variations of white molding. Considering those two had removed their frunk liner and looked, there are probably many others.

Also, the LCC's constrained with 'nylon brackets'... those are actually Cargo Strap Protectors.
Z-sx3tjcpIx_.JPG

By definition, this is what is known as a "kludge".

Last edited:
Reactions: electricar