Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LCC (Liquid Cooled Condenser) was probably not designed to be mounted horizontally so they added the cinch strap which needed edge protection to prevent crushing the condenser contact surfaces... enter corner molding from Home depot.

Will be interesting to see if that corner molding holds up over time. The cheap stuff is mostly air, the better stuff has more plastic content. If you do 3D printing you know what "fill" means..... look how the strap crushed the plastic corner molding in this photo. If it crushes/compresses it more over time.. the strap will be lose and the condenser will shake/possibly stress crack at it's base?
LCC Crush.png

Last edited:
The Model Y went into production 6-9 months before it should have. Could you IMAGINE if Munro found this during their teardown?
It’s a fine line between having a advantageous, lean production line capable of continuous improvement, and having hasty production.
Some manufacturers are overly draconian and waste time and money getting the final design to production. I think Tesla’s approach is the future, but it needs to be combined with a well-supported parts and service industry.

I think it's great that they didn't delay production for such a simple thing. They probably had an issue getting the little white pieces on mine but what they used instead looks like it will work perfectly.

Attachments

• 20200902_152927.jpg
    20200902_152927.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 833
Reactions: jpsgoneev