Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m receiving my Model Y supposedly in a week or two. I plan on looking for this hack and if I find it I will demand it be serviced and proper parts be installed.
Gotta love the righteous indignation over something you don't understand, hasn't happened yet, and probably doesn't matter. I'm sure the fix is to point to a line drawing of corner molding in a parts manual.

Having read your additional posts, I think the real fix is to lead you gently over to "the book" where you sign on to the list of people undeserving to take delivery of a Tesla. Then you can go buy something more suited to your personality.

Last edited:
Gotta love the righteous indignation over something you don't understand, hasn't happened yet, and probably doesn't matter. I'm sure the fix is to point to a line drawing of corner molding in a parts manual.

Having read your additional posts, I think the real fix is to lead you gently over to "the book" where you sign on to the list of people undeserving to take delivery of a Tesla. Then you can go buy something more suited to your personality.

book of undeserving??????

who is the righteous one again?

Making things takes time. When you get to the point of assembly, there is no time left. The line needs to move no matter what.

Not everyone buys into that old school Detroit thinking... "the line needs to move not matter what".
Who? The Japanese (originally).
Why? Keeping the line moving can sacrifice... quality.

330px-Andon_Otomasyon_Panosu2.jpg

Google "andon manufacturing" ("Common reasons for manual activation of the andon are part shortage" - Wiki)

Fremont was a former NUMMI plant. Irony?

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
Not everyone buys into that thinking... "the line needs to move not matter what".
Who? The Japanese.
Why? Keeping the line moving can sacrifice quality control.

Fully agree. Kaizen and all that. It's just Tesla and Toyota are about as divergent in their manufacturing philosophy as possible. Especially when the end of quarter push is on. It's an iron triangle problem (quality, cost, and time).

You’re the biggest enemy of Tesla’s success. Accepting and overlooking their failings will only encourage them to be less competitive. In contrast those who hold them to a high standard are absolutely vital to Tesla’s future.

You’re the biggest enemy of Tesla’s success. Accepting and overlooking their failings will only encourage them to be less competitive. In contrast those who hold them to a high standard are absolutely vital to Tesla’s future.
Imagining that this is a "failing" is why you shouldn't own a Tesla. This is a "who cares, don't worry about it, if it ever becomes an actual problem Tesla will take care of it" sort of thing. If you can't see it that way, you'll tear yourself to pieces over every imagined glitch in auto-pilot and visualization, and every small variation in range and charging speed.

You see, ultimately Tesla owns your car. They can control it whenever they want to. They control the software which determines how it behaves and they can change it, more or less whenever they want. If you don't trust them to behave reasonably, you'll be very unhappy owning the car. So get out while you can! It's not too late!

Wow, lots of worry and concern over this. People will stress and complain over everything. Same people that would complain that their delivery was late if Tesla postponed production over it.

You have to admit it is funny to see Home Depot molding be used to assemble the internals of a brand new Tesla (I think that was the OP's intent). Unless we think every post on TMC should only be complimentary of Elon and Tesla?

If Tesla told you your car was going to be delivered late because they wanted to take extra time getting it right... would you say, 'nah... deliver me that poopoo car, I'll sacrifice the quality so you guys can achieve your Q2 goals' ?

I sort of think most people would choose a slightly delayed quality car.

9 pages of this but no one is talking about how my window controls are off by .5mm...

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

This has been a seriously entertaining thread. My wife who drives a Model Y had a big laugh at this thread. My 3 and her Y have been pretty much good to go besides the charger door and hatch needing better fitment on the Y. This is starting to become Jalopnik here on the forums...

Imagining that this is a "failing" is why you shouldn't own a Tesla. This is a "who cares, don't worry about it, if it ever becomes an actual problem Tesla will take care of it" sort of thing. If you can't see it that way, you'll tear yourself to pieces over every imagined glitch in auto-pilot and visualization, and every small variation in range and charging speed.

You see, ultimately Tesla owns your car. They can control it whenever they want to. They control the software which determines how it behaves and they can change it, more or less whenever they want. If you don't trust them to behave reasonably, you'll be very unhappy owning the car. So get out while you can! It's not too late!
For Tesla’s sake I hope you’re an extreme minority. The marketplace at large expects a lot more than you and I for one really want to see Tesla rise to the highest standards of excellence. You seem happy to watch them flounder in mediocrity and it’s really sad.

This has been a seriously entertaining thread. My wife who drives a Model Y had a big laugh at this thread. My 3 and her Y have been pretty much good to go besides the charger door and hatch needing better fitment on the Y.

How long have you had your Y?

Besides the problems you've already had (cough)... wait until you're out of warranty. Read the dead MCU/DU threads... not so 'entertaining'.

Last edited:
You have to admit it is funny to see Home Depot molding be used to assemble the internals of a brand new Tesla (I think that was the OP's intent). Unless we think every post on TMC should only be complimentary of Elon and Tesla?

If Tesla told you your car was going to be delivered late because they wanted to take extra time getting it right... would you say, 'nah... deliver me that poopoo car, I'll sacrifice the quality so you guys can achieve your Q2 goals' ?

I sort of think most people would choose a slightly delayed quality car.

The "Tesla will take care of it" crowd is a dangerous bunch, because, well, Tesla often chooses not to take care of it. If I had understood that going in I would've never ever accepted or kept a car with so many workmanship issues.

For Tesla’s sake I hope you’re an extreme minority. The marketplace at large expects a lot more than you and I for one really want to see Tesla rise to the highest standards of excellence. You seem happy to watch them flounder in mediocrity and it’s really sad.
Nah. It's just that you care more about form and I care more about function. And I know Tesla is a great company and I trust them, while you are suspicious and worried. With that attitude you won't enjoy owning a Tesla. I'm advising you for your own good. Take it how you wish.