Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found under my car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425938334.727386.jpg

Anyone recognize this bolt? It was in my driveway under the car. I have coil suspension so couldn't jack it up and take a good look underneath and see where it fell from. I get the impression it's one of the bolts holding up the battery. Appears to be made of aluminum and has part numbers stamped on the head (AK and AL9). The end is sheared off but not cleanly, like it had a fatigue crack so I don't know how long it is supposed to be. Width is about 6 mm. The car is a December 2014 S85 so probably shouldn't be losing parts yet.

Can't be 100% on that but we got a dusting of snow overnight and I removed the snow in the morning. By afternoon the sun evaporated the water on the driveway so I took the car out of the garage to clean up. It's when I got back to the car after cleaning the garage that I noticed it. I think is improbable that it was already there considering I shoveled earlier. My kid was playing street hockey and said he didn't put it there or know anything about it.

Update: After showing the bolt to a technician at the service center it was determined to have come from a late model Porsche. The ones holding the battery back, while similar, are steel, not aluminum. How it got under my car in my driveway remains a mystery as I don't have a Porsche.

I think it is very obvious. That Porsche piece wanted desperately to belong to a higher class vehicle.

Update: After showing the bolt to a technician at the service center it was determined to have come from a late model Porsche. The ones holding the battery back, while similar, are steel, not aluminum. How it got under my car in my driveway remains a mystery as I don't have a Porsche.

This happened to a friend in Charlotte.

Rare problem - easy solution. I was hearing a clunking sound when I slowed down. It sounded almost like something was going to fall off the car. Not at high speeds but rather at very low speeds. Seemed to get louder at end of cycle (closest point to stopping). It was a rock in the rotor. Unable to see it. Tesla tech said I should get car back today. FYI, I was NOT the first customer to get service at the Charlotte Tesla Service Center. Guy says the Center is still not officially open. Will not be until they get loaners a and a few other things.

We've seen issues like this before. You're not the only car that parks on your driveway.... you were just unaware of the Porsche that parks there. Now you're aware.

I would have called BS on that. I've wrenched on a bunch of Porsche bolts, and they don't have magic identifying Porsche marks...

What is this, a Fiat? What's next, the bumper?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
My Dad had an old 124 Spider back in the late 70's. One of the rear bumpers did, indeed, fall off. That car was lots of fun, but it did live up to the "Fix it again, Tony" reputation...

We've seen issues like this before. You're not the only car that parks on your driveway.... you were just unaware of the Porsche that parks there. Now you're aware.
And another thread degrades into marital infidelity. I think TMC has it's own version of Godwin's Law :smile:

What infidelity?

A Porsche might or might not have come a wooing, and the Tesla might or might not have dropped a bolt, but I've not seen any evidence that the Tesla gave the Porsche the time of day or lifted her skirt!