TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Found under my car...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by agloutney, Mar 9, 2015.

1. agloutney

agloutney Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425938334.727386.jpg

Anyone recognize this bolt? It was in my driveway under the car. I have coil suspension so couldn't jack it up and take a good look underneath and see where it fell from. I get the impression it's one of the bolts holding up the battery. Appears to be made of aluminum and has part numbers stamped on the head (AK and AL9). The end is sheared off but not cleanly, like it had a fatigue crack so I don't know how long it is supposed to be. Width is about 6 mm. The car is a December 2014 S85 so probably shouldn't be losing parts yet.

2. skboston

skboston Member

Are you certain it's a Tesla bolt and not some random bolt thrown on your driveway by kids or some random event.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would certainly show it to Tesla.

4. agloutney

agloutney Member

Can't be 100% on that but we got a dusting of snow overnight and I removed the snow in the morning. By afternoon the sun evaporated the water on the driveway so I took the car out of the garage to clean up. It's when I got back to the car after cleaning the garage that I noticed it. I think is improbable that it was already there considering I shoveled earlier. My kid was playing street hockey and said he didn't put it there or know anything about it.

5. agloutney

agloutney Member

Email and pic sent to Tesla, no reply yet.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I would have to think the bolts that hold the pack in place are beefier than that, but maybe it's out of the new(er) armor plating that was added a year or so ago to all cars.

7. agloutney

agloutney Member

Update: After showing the bolt to a technician at the service center it was determined to have come from a late model Porsche. The ones holding the battery back, while similar, are steel, not aluminum. How it got under my car in my driveway remains a mystery as I don't have a Porsche.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I think it is very obvious. That Porsche piece wanted desperately to belong to a higher class vehicle.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Might have got scooped up into the undercarriage armor and dropped out at home...

10. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Most likely kicked up into the snow buildup in the wheel well, and then dropped into your drive.

11. agloutney

agloutney Member

Sounds like the most plausible scenario. Relieved it's not from my car and that it managed to hitch a ride without scratching the paint!

12. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

It's great that it didn't end up stuck in one of your tires.

13. agloutney

agloutney Member

So the plot thickens. It turns out it IS part of the car. Service just called me back to take an appointment. They have identified it as part of the rack and pinion steering system.

14. muleferg

muleferg Member

This happened to a friend in Charlotte.

Rare problem - easy solution. I was hearing a clunking sound when I slowed down. It sounded almost like something was going to fall off the car. Not at high speeds but rather at very low speeds. Seemed to get louder at end of cycle (closest point to stopping). It was a rock in the rotor. Unable to see it. Tesla tech said I should get car back today. FYI, I was NOT the first customer to get service at the Charlotte Tesla Service Center. Guy says the Center is still not officially open. Will not be until they get loaners a and a few other things.

15. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#15 AmpedRealtor, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    What is this, a Fiat? What's next, the bumper?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

16. scottm

scottm Active Member

We've seen issues like this before. You're not the only car that parks on your driveway.... you were just unaware of the Porsche that parks there. Now you're aware.

17. tga

tga Active Member

I would have called BS on that. I've wrenched on a bunch of Porsche bolts, and they don't have magic identifying Porsche marks...

My Dad had an old 124 Spider back in the late 70's. One of the rear bumpers did, indeed, fall off. That car was lots of fun, but it did live up to the "Fix it again, Tony" reputation...

And another thread degrades into marital infidelity. I think TMC has it's own version of Godwin's Law :smile:

18. mejojo

mejojo Member

Hehehehehe........

19. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

What infidelity?

A Porsche might or might not have come a wooing, and the Tesla might or might not have dropped a bolt, but I've not seen any evidence that the Tesla gave the Porsche the time of day or lifted her skirt!

20. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Uhh...I think the Porsche would be wearing the skirt in this analogy...:wink::biggrin: