Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found USB-C Cables that fit Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
After 2 bad purchases, I've finally found cables that fit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074QLJQS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cables1.JPG
Cables2.JPG
Cables3.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: tess19
I assume you connect your 4 port hub to the 12v supply rather than the USB? If you use a higher power adapter does it maintain the higher currents for fast charging? I'm using another 4 port hub which I don't think does.

No, the 12v socket is in a different compartment so no way of doing that. As for quick charge, I don't notice any difference. The HUB is USB3 and sockets are USB2 so no fast charging anyway... Hub can handle way more than the socket delivers, so if one phone is plugged in it will charge just as fast. Don't know what happens if 2 are plugged in though.

Can always just plug the second cable direct and plug the little one and the SSD into the HUB if charging is slow.

Or if really fussy you can buy a battery bank instead of a HUB, so the bank is constantly charged and then fast chargers the phones when they are plugged in.... The car slow charges the bank while parked etc. I might just do that actually...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...ywords=USB+battery+bank&qid=1569952894&sr=8-6

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeT
Or if really fussy you can buy a battery bank instead of a HUB, so the bank is constantly charged and then fast chargers the phones when they are plugged in.... The car slow charges the bank while parked etc. I might just do that actually...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...ywords=USB+battery+bank&qid=1569952894&sr=8-6

Now why didn't I think of that? That's a very good idea. Thank you. Also has two outlets it looks like. Can leave cables for two different phones always plugged in.

No, the 12v socket is in a different compartment so no way of doing that. As for quick charge, I don't notice any difference. The HUB is USB3 and sockets are USB2 so no fast charging anyway... Hub can handle way more than the socket delivers, so if one phone is plugged in it will charge just as fast. Don't know what happens if 2 are plugged in though.

Can always just plug the second cable direct and plug the little one and the SSD into the HUB if charging is slow.

I think the usb sockets go to sleep if the car does. Only on if you keep Sentry mode on. It does with my Raspberry Pi zero.

I think the usb sockets go to sleep if the car does. Only on if you keep Sentry mode on. It does with my Raspberry Pi zero.

Yeah, but you don't need to rapid charge all the time. I think the power bank would ultimately be topped off.

Only thing I'm not sure about is if the bank can charge and discharge at the same time. If it can, then the worst case is that it will just pass through the charge.

And of course if the car is charging it's not sleeping.

Yeah, but you don't need to rapid charge all the time. I think the power bank would ultimately be topped off.

Only thing I'm not sure about is if the bank can charge and discharge at the same time. If it can, then the worst case is that it will just pass through the charge.

And of course if the car is charging it's not sleeping.
I think the power packs can not do both (charge and discharge) but there maybe one that can. Not seen one that can yet.

I would hazard a guess that over time there will be enough "car on" time to keep the power pack charged enough that it'll do its job of boosting charging speed to a phone as and when a phone is plugged into it. And when it doesn't do I assume correctly that a slow charge will just pass through it to the phone (no biggie if not though)?