Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found windshield, rotor and wiper assembly needs to be replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to share an experience of first time Tesla buyer.

TL;DR; found major issue in new car after 11 days (380 miles) of ownership.

On June 30, I took delivery of my Model Y. I was assured that if there are any issue, the service department will fix it. At the time of delivery, I noticed few paint issues and asked Tesla employee if this is normal and he said yes it’s normal.
One the way to home, I noticed a weird noise coming while turning the vehicle left and some dust on windshield.
On July 1, I scheduled the next available service appointment wiz. on July 9th.
On July 10, The service department told me that the front wheel rotor needs to be replaced.

From Service Report:
Concern: Customer states: Turn steering all the way left, accelerate a bit and then leave the gas pedal. In couple of
seconds you will hear a weird noise.
Looked into suspension components for possible rub and found no evidence of rubbing on suspension components.
Investigated the HUB and rotor area and confirmed the Left Front Rotor to be warped from the factory. Recommend
replacing. Part not in stock at this time. Part has been ordered and customer will be contact when part arrives.

After getting car back from service, I took the car for car wash and realized that those dust marks on windshield are permanent.

On July 11, I reached out to service center, they suggested to schedule another service appointment (which would be after 2 weeks). When I pressed the issue, they forwarded me to Delivery Center.

Delivery center - The service manager acknowledged the issues.
* Windshield: He tried to fix the issue twice by professional chemical detailing on windshield but it did not fix the issue.
* Wheel rotor: He tried another Model Y and it also has that noise.
* Wiper Assembly: The first service center showed me that the part came broken from factory, they fixed it by putting a glue. After showing it to second service center, they replaced the whole wipe assembly part.
* Front and Rear passenger side door paint issues: The manager acknowledged that this is not the right paint and offered me full interior and exterior detailing.

My concerns, within 10 days of ownership:
1. If a car needs windshield, rotor and wiper assembly replacement within 10 days of ownership, how it was sold as a new car?
2. Tesla return policy: We are confident that you will feel great about your new vehicle, and so are giving you time to experience and enjoy your new Tesla. If you are unhappy with your vehicle, you may return it to us within seven (7) calendar days.
3. I would have returned the vehicle if
1. I found the windshield issue within 7 days. (10th Day)
2. Had my first service appointment available in first 7 days and got to know rotor issue.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I want to share an experience of first time Tesla buyer.

TL;DR; found major issue in new car after 11 days (380 miles) of ownership.

On June 30, I took delivery of my Model Y. I was assured that if there are any issue, the service department will fix it. At the time of delivery, I noticed few paint issues and asked Tesla employee if this is normal and he said yes it’s normal.
One the way to home, I noticed a weird noise coming while turning the vehicle left and some dust on windshield.
On July 1, I scheduled the next available service appointment wiz. on July 9th.
On July 10, The service department told me that the front wheel rotor needs to be replaced.

From Service Report:
Concern: Customer states: Turn steering all the way left, accelerate a bit and then leave the gas pedal. In couple of
seconds you will hear a weird noise.
Looked into suspension components for possible rub and found no evidence of rubbing on suspension components.
Investigated the HUB and rotor area and confirmed the Left Front Rotor to be warped from the factory. Recommend
replacing. Part not in stock at this time. Part has been ordered and customer will be contact when part arrives.

After getting car back from service, I took the car for car wash and realized that those dust marks on windshield are permanent.

On July 11, I reached out to service center, they suggested to schedule another service appointment (which would be after 2 weeks). When I pressed the issue, they forwarded me to Delivery Center.

Delivery center - The service manager acknowledged the issues.
* Windshield: He tried to fix the issue twice by professional chemical detailing on windshield but it did not fix the issue.
* Wheel rotor: He tried another Model Y and it also has that noise.
* Wiper Assembly: The first service center showed me that the part came broken from factory, they fixed it by putting a glue. After showing it to second service center, they replaced the whole wipe assembly part.
* Front and Rear passenger side door paint issues: The manager acknowledged that this is not the right paint and offered me full interior and exterior detailing.

My concerns, within 10 days of ownership:
1. If a car needs windshield, rotor and wiper assembly replacement within 10 days of ownership, how it was sold as a new car?
2. Tesla return policy: We are confident that you will feel great about your new vehicle, and so are giving you time to experience and enjoy your new Tesla. If you are unhappy with your vehicle, you may return it to us within seven (7) calendar days.
3. I would have returned the vehicle if
1. I found the windshield issue within 7 days. (10th Day)
2. Had my first service appointment available in first 7 days and got to know rotor issue.

Out of curiosity, what is your VIN range? I know quality has improved drastically since the beginning of July given the massive push at the end of the quarter where stuff suffered. Curious where your VIN range was.

Out of curiosity, what is your VIN range? I know quality has improved drastically since the beginning of July given the massive push at the end of the quarter where stuff suffered. Curious where your VIN range was.

the quarter rush doesn’t start a week before it ends. There is a push the entire time to get as many cars out as possible. They don’t spend less time on cars at end of quarter. They rush them the entire time. i got quarter end, 17xxx vin and it’s for the most part great, has issues but not the ones commonly reported.

my panels are aligned well, as are my back seats. I have one paint smudge on a door and one door wasn’t assembled right. They should be able to take care of those when I drop it off in a few weeks.

Vin range: 22xxx
Windshield: It is only visible when you are driving with sun right in front of you or high beam of opposite traffic. Because of covid, I only took it out in evenings. Plus, car didn't come with washer fluid so I just assumed that those are dirt and will be cleaned by washing.

Attachments

• IMG_5629-1.png
    IMG_5629-1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
I'm curious how your windshield replacement goes. I have a mobile appt tomorrow for my taillights and driver's door lower window trim adjustment, but the only major issue I have is the top center of my window where it meets the glass roof has an 'indent', which is clearly a defect in the glass. My concern is that they first don't have any windshields in stock for a while, and 2nd, they will damage my paint or dent the car trying to take it on and off. Kinda rather have them get some practice :)

And yes, #$%@#$#% the $3K drop in value that quickly. Ugh

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw
I guess the one worry to me is the service center thinks you have a "gas" pedal :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I am curious why the windshield issue was not reported almost immediately. Maybe I misunderstood.
Too bad you are having these issues. Sure sounds like poor quality control.

My Tesla has a gas pedal, as does my diesel truck. Fortunately, the definition of "gas pedal" doesn't mean a gasoline engine.

Windshield: It is only visible when you are driving with sun right in front of you or high beam of opposite traffic. Because of covid, I only took it out in evenings. Plus, car didn't come with washer fluid so I just assumed that those are dirt and will be cleaned by washing.

I would be tempted to call that overspray, but I didn't think any painting was done at the factory after the glass was installed.

If it is paint spray, then soap won't take it off. Aggressive (like paint remover) chemicals might help if applied very very carefully. I had overspray on glass after a repair, and removed it with a razor blade.

If that haze is inside the glass, then obviously it cannot be removed.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
My Tesla has a gas pedal, as does my diesel truck. Fortunately, the definition of "gas pedal" doesn't mean a gasoline engine.
Well, it means gas to some people, not me. I have an accelerator pedal. :) It's the English language continuing to go down hill. But yea, I see that many still refer to it as a gas pedal. I guess a few folks missed the joke o_O

Last edited:

I see that I'm getting some "disagree" votes. I'm not opining on what the definition should be, but what the definition actually is.

Definition of GAS PEDAL

Definition of gas pedal

US
: a pedal in a vehicle that is pressed down to make the vehicle go faster : accelerator

My Tesla certainly has one of these.

Reactions: HarleyW
I see that I'm getting some "disagree" votes. I'm not opining on what the definition should be, but what the definition actually is.

Definition of GAS PEDAL

Definition of gas pedal

US
: a pedal in a vehicle that is pressed down to make the vehicle go faster : accelerator

My Tesla certainly has one of these.
another person for my ignore list. I don't understand people that always want to be snippy.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: CyberGus and FlyF4
Sorry if I sounded snippy, that was not my intention. The forum is to share information, and that is all I was attempting to do. I see many posts stating that people are in error when they say the Tesla's have a gas pedal. Just trying to clear up that misconception with evidence. When I stated this without the evidence, some marked my post with a "Disagree."

I will venture a guess that the “dust” you see is really paint overspray. There was probably some touch up work done on the passenger side of the car and they only masked part of the windshield. The paint probably feels rough on that side of the hood too. A clay bar will take it off of the windshield and anywhere else it is.

I've never used a clay bar on a car before today. It was super easy to do and seemed to remove all of the overspray on my MY - it's glass smooth now.

I thought I got all of the overspray off of my windshield with goof-off, but there was still some there. I've used acetone to remove this before, but didn't want to risk damaging the paint if I dripped. It seems that the clay bar took the overspray off of my windshield as well, but I'll need to do the night test to be sure.