Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found Wireless Adapater/game Controller Combination For Tesla Arcade Atari Games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it support multiple controllers for things like the Beach Buggy game?

I have verified that I can play Beach Buggy with the one wireless Xbox controller and the MayFlash Adapter I referenced on the first post of this thread. Beach Buggy now does support more than one controller so I need to buy another MayFlash Adapter and XBox controller to know for sure.

I feel quite certain that a second wireless controller will work because I know one works.

I'm trying to figure out a solution with an unobtrusive USB hub so that I am not constantly plugging and unplugging USB devices. One USB port is used permanently by TeslaCam, so I want to plug the second port to a 3-port USB HUB that can have my USB music drive permanently plugged in with two additional USB ports open for the two wireless controllers.

If anyone knows of very small USB hub that can be used without causing a mess of wires, please let me know!

Reactions: Pale_Rider
A requisite for me getting two wireless game controllers to work is not having to unplug either of my USB drives for USB audio or TeslaCam so a hub is a necessity. I just bought the following USB hub and it has a review from a Model S owner so I hope it works. Assuming it works, I'll buy another pair of MayFlash Adapter + XBox controller and report what I find out.

This seems like a pretty nifty USB hub as it has no dangling cords. I can't stand to see any dangling cords anywhere :p

• Informative
Reactions: Pale_Rider
I got two wireless controllers intermittently working. One controller tends to drop within a few min when both are plugged in. But I did manage to get both working when I follow a very strict setup.

First i made sure the adapter and controller firmware were both updated then:
  1. Plug in adapter one, and power on/connect controller one.
  2. Keep controller in line of sight of adapter.
  3. Boot beach buggy. (probably not important)
  4. Exit beach buggy. (probably not important)
  5. Plug in adapter two, and power on/connect controller two.
  6. Keep controller in line of sight of adapter.
  7. Boot beach buggy.

WIRELESS ADAPTER:
8bitdo Wireless Gray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L334WXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
8bitdo Wireless Red - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786JC6VW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: I was trying to match colors to my controllers, but there are differences in both. The original post I got information from, mentioned the red one. Both do work with my controllers.

CONTROLLER:
Xbox Wireless Controller - Red - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4JYY1H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Xbox Wireless Controller - White - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GW3H3U8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I ordered the USB hub mentioned in this thread and just gave two controllers a go with it and can confirm it works.
Also, following the steps above, I only had to boot it once, but keep both controllers in line of sight of adapter.

20190902_171747.jpg
20190902_171634.jpg

Nice. Do let us know. I too hate dangling cords. The 2 I have in the rear irk me as it is and I’m not even the one who uses them :)

I am happy to report that the XBox controller plus the wireless adapters I mentioned at the beginning of this thread work with Tesla games including Beach Buggy and you can use two controllers at the same time!

Beach Buggy works quite well with the XBox controller, because it supports haptic feedback in the game. I have detailed instructions on how to setup and pair everything on the first post of this thread and I can confirm the following work for two players to play Beach Buggy at the same time with wireless controllers and no ugly cables dangling anywhere.

The 3 port hub works well so you can keep TeslaCam connected the whole time to one port and the other port can support two wireless controllers using the hub.

The MayFlash Adapter works great because it supports multiple modes for different types of game controllers and also offers a USB pass-through feature:

Here's the XBox controller that comes in multiple colors. You can buy 2 so two people can play Beach Buggy!

This is the wireless adapter I recommend. You can use two of these at the same time with the USB hub I have tested below:

I've tested this USB hub to work with two MayFlash adapters.

I just plug them in and then start Beach Buggy. Instructions for the initial pairing are on the first post of this thread,

I am happy to report that the XBox controller plus the wireless adapters I mentioned at the beginning of this thread work with Tesla games including Beach Buggy and you can use two controllers at the same time!

Beach Buggy works quite well with the XBox controller, because it supports haptic feedback in the game. I have detailed instructions on how to setup and pair everything on the first post of this thread and I can confirm the following work for two players to play Beach Buggy at the same time with wireless controllers and no ugly cables dangling anywhere.

The 3 port hub works well so you can keep TeslaCam connected the whole time to one port and the other port can support two wireless controllers using the hub.

The MayFlash Adapter works great because it supports multiple modes for different types of game controllers and also offers a USB pass-through feature:

Here's the XBox controller that comes in multiple colors. You can buy 2 so two people can play Beach Buggy!
https://amzn.to/2LB4cUX

This is the wireless adapter I recommend. You can use two of these at the same time with the USB hub I have tested below:
https://amzn.to/2zJzX8z

I've tested this USB hub to work with two MayFlash adapters.
https://amzn.to/2MQKJm0

I just plug them in and then start Beach Buggy. Instructions for the initial pairing are on the first post of this thread,

Thanks! I was just waiting for you to confirm the two wireless XBox controllers you recommended work with Beach Buggy. Just placed an order for two controls, the two MayFlash adapters, and the mini hub. It'll be fun to try them out!

Thanks for taking the time to research everything and post detailed instructions.

Thanks! I was just waiting for you to confirm the two wireless XBox controllers you recommended work with Beach Buggy. Just placed an order for two controls, the two MayFlash adapters, and the mini hub. It'll be fun to try them out!

Thanks for taking the time to research everything and post detailed instructions.

You are welcome! Have to say playing Beach Buggy in the car with a game controller is very comfy because you can lean back on the seat and the sound is immersive. I can imagine the car being quite fun for eventually watching Netflix movies if you are stopped for a while.

You are welcome! Have to say playing Beach Buggy in the car with a game controller is very comfy because you can lean back on the seat and the sound is immersive. I can imagine the car being quite fun for eventually watching Netflix movies if you are stopped for a while.

I'm getting my wireless controllers tomorrow! Did you find a good place inside the car to store both controllers without them rattling all over the place? I'd rather not put them in the center console area, as I want to be able to use the cup holders without having to move anything out of the way.

I'm getting my wireless controllers tomorrow! Did you find a good place inside the car to store both controllers without them rattling all over the place? I'd rather not put them in the center console area, as I want to be able to use the cup holders without having to move anything out of the way.

I tried the adapter and game controller mentioned at beginning of this thread. While it initially works - I can move up and down on the character selection. By the time the game actually loads it doesn’t seem to control the movement of the buggy at all. I don’t think I lost line of site with adapter.

Appreciate any help here!

I tried the adapter and game controller mentioned at beginning of this thread. While it initially works - I can move up and down on the character selection. By the time the game actually loads it doesn’t seem to control the movement of the buggy at all. I don’t think I lost line of site with adapter.

Appreciate any help here!

Did you pair the MayFlash Adapter while it is in Xbox mode? (Green flashing lights). I had issues at the beginning and it turned out I was trying to pair in a different mode with different colored flashing lights.

I've had no issues with the MayFlash Adapter and specific XBox controller @DCEV has recommended. As suggested in the initial post (Found Wireless Adapater/game Controller Combination For Tesla Arcade Atari Games), i did upgrade the firmware of the MayFlash Adapter. Did you do that?

You'll love using the controller when you get it working. It makes the game so smooth.

Did you pair the MayFlash Adapter while it is in Xbox mode? (Green flashing lights). I had issues at the beginning and it turned out I was trying to pair in a different mode with different colored flashing lights.

I've had no issues with the MayFlash Adapter and specific XBox controller @DCEV has recommended. As suggested in the initial post (Found Wireless Adapater/game Controller Combination For Tesla Arcade Atari Games), i did upgrade the firmware of the MayFlash Adapter. Did you do that?

You'll love using the controller when you get it working. It makes the game so smooth.
Yes I did all these things and even repeated them once to make sure. Maybe I got a faulty unit. Going to try returning both and buying two new ones to see if that fixes my issues.

Yes I did all these things and even repeated them once to make sure. Maybe I got a faulty unit. Going to try returning both and buying two new ones to see if that fixes my issues.

Before you do that, install Beach Buggy on a Windows PC and then plug in one of the MayFlash adapters and get that to pair with an XBox controller. This is what I did because it was easier to test that everything worked on my PC before plunging it in the car.

Al in pairing mode, it sometimes takes about 30 seconds for the initial pairing so you need to be patient.

It is unlikely you received two defective units. I bet you ran into a pairing issue.

Did you try getting one to work first before trying both?

I also agree with @PhilDavid, you should first try to get the XBox Controller and wireless adapter to work on your PC as that makes troubleshooting much easier.

If you lived in the DC area, I would have been happy to help you get the adapter and XBox controllers working!

Don't give up, the XBox wireless controllers work with the MayFlash adapter I referenced earlier.

So it was the adapter. I got a new adapter and it works perfect. Thanks for all your help here. Interestingly the defective adapter works fine on the computer w Beach buggy but just doesn’t work in the car.

Glad you got it to work!

Isn't the game so much more fun with the wireless controller? It felt like there was a lot of input latency for the game with the touchscreen but it is very playable with the game controller.