Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found Wireless Adapater/game Controller Combination For Tesla Arcade Atari Games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, I can now confirm that these controllers are not recognized by my Model 3 running 2019.32.11 bac8c51.

The little wireless receiver plugs into the USB port, the controller LEDs show that they're connected to the receiver, but the car doesn't recognize that anything has been plugged in -- won't run Cuphead.

Has anyone tried this set of two controllers with single wireless receiver?
https://www.amazon.com/C-Zone-Wireless-Controller-Joystick-2003VISTA/dp/B06XBCRN3X

I just picked up a pair of Logitech F710 wireless gamepads (Australian retailer EBgames have them marked down 40% at the moment). They come with a compact USB bluetooth adapter and seem to work great even with the console shut so no need for line-of-sight as some have reported with others.

So far have only tried beach buggy single player but have a 2nd one to "test" with my boys later.

With these wireless controllers there's no obvious way to power them off completely, aside from removing the cells. They go to a low power state when there's no activity, but does that mean they'll stay running if the USB bluetooth adapter is plugged into the car permanently? Next week I've got one of the Jeda USB hubs arriving, and I was hoping to keep them in the two USB A sockets, have the SSD inside, and power the two phones from the USB-C sockets. Just wondering if I need to keep the AA's removed when the controllers are stored in the glovebox as a precaution, or how the experience of the brains trust here has been for battery life...thanx.

Reactions: rotor2k
I bought the Mayflash MAGIC-NS adapter, and it wasn't until I tried pairing it with my XBox 360 controller, failed, and did a bunch of google searching and manual reading that I figured out that XBox 360 controllers are only supported with the Mayflash if you set its LED to green and connect a "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows" to its USB port. Not wanting to spend another $45 on this project just for that simple 2.4GHz receiver (I think that's what it is), I decided to try this $19 generic clone. It appears to work -- I can finally run cuphead in my Model 3 with a wireless controller. I'll try it with Beach Buggy and also will try pairing a second controller.

Minor update as have been living with these and the Jeda hub now for about a month - they work great with Cuphead or Beach Buggy racing, I leave the two USB dongles plugged in all the time with the controllers in the glovebox with batteries in and so far still on the first cells so that appears good too.

1YraCRbh.jpg

The Jeda USB hub means the dongles are always plugged in, so we're always ready to go. All up this has worked a treat.

Reactions: rotor2k
So after much searching and trying our various combinations, I found a working wireless adapter and game controller combination. It's so much more fun to play the games with a proper game controller. So this is what I did to get everything to work:

Wireless Adapter
This is needed to wirelessly transmit game controller commands to the car. I bought the Mayflash adapter on Amazon.

Before first use, I downloaded the firmware update on the MayFlash Web site. They have a May 24, 2019 firmware update. Download the update for the "MAGIC-NS" and then extract the EXE file and run it. Then insert the USB adapter and the updater will automatically check the firmware version and allow you to update, if necessary. Firmware update: Download--MAYFLASH Limited Game Accessory Manufacture from China

Game Controller
I bought the following Xbox wireless controller after another one I bought did not work. It also comes in different colors, so I bought the white version to match the cream interior of the car.

Paring
Super easy! Just insert the MayFlash Wireless Adapter to one of the available FRONT USB ports.

Insert batteries into the controller and turn on the Xbox controller by long pressing the Xbox logo button, the logo button will blink. Now long press the pair button located on the front side of the Xbox controller until the Xbox logo button blinks fast.

Single press the button on the side of the MayFlash adapter and the two will pair with the Xbox logo will be on continuously. That's it!

Note: If you are using the USB port used by TeslaCam, be sure to first stop TeslaCamby by long pressing the TeslaCam icon so that it is greyed out. If you are using the USB port used by USB media for audio, make sure that you pause audio playback and switch out of the USB player.

Which Xbox controller did you use? I tried this one with the Magic NS and it works for Asteroids but not Cuphead or Beach Buggy

https://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-One-Wireless-Controller-White/dp/B01GW3H3U8

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a model 3 (feb 2020, os v10.2.8)

Tried pairing the magic-ns with my old xbox 360 controller, no luck. i tried every which method of pairing, with multiple controllers, in the car and on the computer. the hardware simply wouldn't communicate.

Here's what i bought:
Did I not get the right adapter? (I noticed there was a black one that was $50 vs $20 for the white) Has anyone have any luck with this combo? I'm bout to throw in the towel ;(

Just got a model 3 (feb 2020, os v10.2.8)

Tried pairing the magic-ns with my old xbox 360 controller, no luck. i tried every which method of pairing, with multiple controllers, in the car and on the computer. the hardware simply wouldn't communicate.

Here's what i bought:
Did I not get the right adapter? (I noticed there was a black one that was $50 vs $20 for the white) Has anyone have any luck with this combo? I'm bout to throw in the towel ;(
That's the right adapter, but I haven't tried with a Xbox 360 controller. It did work with the Xbox one controller. Did you updated the firmware on the adaptor?

So after much searching and trying our various combinations, I found a working wireless adapter and game controller combination. It's so much more fun to play the games with a proper game controller. So this is what I did to get everything to work:

It appears that all of the links have been stripped from the original--would you (or anyone) care to re-post the "working combination" of gear, please?

Anyone have updates to share since this was posted (nearly a year ago)? I've got a new MSLR+, s/w 2020.8.2.

Thank you!

It appears that all of the links have been stripped from the original--would you (or anyone) care to re-post the "working combination" of gear, please?

Well, I found it in a quote of the original:
DCEV said:
Wireless Adapter
This is needed to wirelessly transmit game controller commands to the car. I bought the following Mayflash adapter on Amazon.

https://amzn.to/2ZEvlM6

[...]

Game Controller
I bought the following Xbox wireless controller after another one I bought did not work. It also comes in different colors, so I bought the white version to match the cream interior of the car.

https://amzn.to/2WX8tdu

Also, on the Tesla Forums, I found a post (from only a couple of days ago) saying that this wireless controller works flawlessly:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4W9L8J

For <$20 bucks & no additional adapter required, I've got one on order to try it out--will report back how it works!

Yea, I think that one was mentioned in this thread too. Only 3 1/2 star rating, but free returns. think i'll take a shot at it as well.

That's the right adapter, but I haven't tried with a Xbox 360 controller. It did work with the Xbox one controller. Did you updated the firmware on the adaptor?

Yea, updated the firmware... though the only change was added support for a newer xbox controller. Didn't like the lack of instructions either (clearly a Chinese product). Had to search online and watch some videos to figure out how to use / setup. Ultimately, didn't work with the 360 controllers anyways. Maybe there's a firmware update for the controllers (bought back in 2008), or maybe newer 360 controllers would work?

Also, on the Tesla Forums, I found a post (from only a couple of days ago) saying that this wireless controller works flawlessly:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4W9L8J

For <$20 bucks & no additional adapter required, I've got one on order to try it out--will report back how it works!

Well, it arrived. Pairs up with zero drama. "How well is it working"...? Answer: I don't know. I took the earlier discussions on this thread to indicate the problems folks were having were the controller talking to the car & vice-versa in the first place; that's not my problem.

While it's clearly recognizing the controller, I have zero experience with any Tesla versions of these games, and some I've never even heard of. In "Cuphead," I get as far as the tutorial: I can "jump" no problem, but the "hold to jump high" doesn't seem to work, so I can't even get to the next trial item. I was able to use the Settings>>Controls menu in Cuphead to verify each button works/is recognized--but, again, apparently NOT the "hold" function??

In "Stardew Valley," I got into a menu (looked like a saved game menu, but with nothing in the queue), and nothing I did to the controller got me out.

Older arcade games seemed a mixed bag. "Centipede" worked pretty well; "Tempest" worked, albeit a bit awkward to control (that game really needs its original spinner); but "Breakout" is essentially uncontrollable (full left or full right with the slightest touch to the joystick--it's responding to the input, but it's "all or nothing").

QUESTIONS:
- Are these problems with this controller, or are these issues inherent to however they ported these games into the Tesla environment?
- The Home, Select, Menu, etc. buttons don't seem to be recognized--should they be?
- Are there any global-level settings for the controller that I can access, to change the sensitivity, or default buttons, etc? Barring that, can I change the buttons for games that don't have an explicit settings menu (such as I found in Cuphead)?

Thanks for any words of advice!

Got mine too. Basically no instructions, but none really needed I suppose. Feels like it could shatter if I squeezed strong enough.

While it's clearly recognizing the controller, I have zero experience with any Tesla versions of these games, and some I've never even heard of..

This. Only game i tried was Beach Buggy, and it worked. I really haven't played that game much yet, though, so idk if all functions work. I was able to accelerate and fire all items picked up. Steering was very easy... much better than the car's wheel (which even at lowest sensitivity feels too touchy).

The instructions did indicate it can operate in different modes and that "PC360" mode was the default. I didn't yet try changing it to the "Android/PS3" mode, as i really haven't played it enough in the first mode or on the touchscreen to be able to tell any differences.

Going to add my adventures to this thread in hopes to help others. I started by trying to pair my XBox One to the Magic NS with no success. Then I tried some old XBox 360 controller I have in a closet with similar levels of success. After these failures, I researched what XBox One controller the Magic NS controller was compatible with. I found that you have to have a controller that is compatible with the XBox One S. Microsoft switch to bluetooth with the One S and the Magic NS device is bluetooth only. Luckly when I found this out, I knew the PS3 used bluetooth. So I tried connecting my PS3 controllers, and they paired. But that wasn't the end of my issues. As some have mentioned it was rather spotty controls. But having really dug into understanding the Magic NS, I figured it was likely that I was in the wrong mode. I proceed to test each mode and found as also mentioned in this thread, Green is best.

TLDR - XBOX Controllers must be XBOX One S compatible.
PS3 Controllers work well with this setup.
Use the green mode on the Magic NS with the Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: bollar
Thanks for the research on this. It was very helpful.

One thing I did note, which I thought confusing was the Magic NS didn't have "green" in its color cycle *unless* it was plugged into the car *and* a game was running. Very strange, and maybe it's cosmic rays, or just me, but I tried several times while connected to a PC and connected to the car without a game running with no success.

I also got caught up in the incompatible Xbox One controller issue, but found I did have an Xbox One S controller that I could use. If I didn't have controllers already, I would recommend the Logitech F750 or maybe a knockoff. That USB dongle is very compact and doesn't have any configuration requirements.

I wanted to share installation pictures with you. I decided to run one of the usb ports under the mats and to the front of the center console. There I connected an unpowered Aukey usb hub (not Anker, which didn't work). A bonus is that one port faces forward, which makes it easy to deal with a dash cam drive. (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07FPFKL4X/). The boxes at the bottom are a Cellular WiFi Hotspot attached to a battery pack. I found the car had no problem powering the sentry drive, hotspot and game controller at the same time. My experiments also indicated the Tesla Qi charger needs its own USB circuit (makes sense).
IMG_6444.jpeg
IMG_6457.jpeg
IMG_6459.jpeg
IMG_6505.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Informative
Reactions: powaking
Reviving an old post, but to share my experience and maybe get some tips from others.
I've recently upgraded to MCU2, so got the games too. And indeed wanted to have wireless controllers working :)

With this in mind, I read TMC and purchased two Magic Mayflash-NS, in the hope of using the wireless controllers we have (PS4 & Xbox One) in house.
I've partial success.

1- Xbox one

Impossible to pair to the Mayflash, but above comments made me understand it is an "old" Xbox One, so without Bluetooth, so won't ever work. Thanks for the info btw.

2- PS4

I can pair them successfully, but I have this weird behaviour.
When paired, the MCU2 acts as if no controllers are connected: games like Cuphead, which require controllers, cannot be started (start is greyed out). Somehow, the controller is not seen. Only if I connect one controller with the USB cable, then I can start the game.

Here is the weird part: some games that work with both screen controls and controllers, like the most recent game, Sky Force Reloaded, will start (indeed, they don't mandate a controller), and once started, the controller is recognised and works perfectly. I tested in Stardew Valley, same: works perfectly. But Beach Rally does not. Only works with USB cables. Ain't it something.

So somehow, there is a software bug/feature (for me?) that makes the controller(s) "invisible" to games not loaded (like Cuphead).

Anyone else recognise this or found a solution?

I just picked up a pair of Logitech F710 wireless gamepads (Australian retailer EBgames have them marked down 40% at the moment). They come with a compact USB bluetooth adapter and seem to work great even with the console shut so no need for line-of-sight as some have reported with others.

So far have only tried beach buggy single player but have a 2nd one to "test" with my boys later.

With these wireless controllers there's no obvious way to power them off completely, aside from removing the cells. They go to a low power state when there's no activity, but does that mean they'll stay running if the USB bluetooth adapter is plugged into the car permanently? Next week I've got one of the Jeda USB hubs arriving, and I was hoping to keep them in the two USB A sockets, have the SSD inside, and power the two phones from the USB-C sockets. Just wondering if I need to keep the AA's removed when the controllers are stored in the glovebox as a precaution, or how the experience of the brains trust here has been for battery life...thanx.
We bought the same model of wireless controllers. Plugged in the adapter and it says a controller is connected. However, the game doesn’t respond. Is there something else we need to do besides plug in the USB adapter?