TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Founders or Base?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by MarkLy, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MarkLy

MarkLy Member

I'm ready to pull the plug on a new roadster but I'm torn as to which model to get. Probably the biggest concern for me is resale value (I know I'm going to lose a bunch of $$ either way and Elon has not previously supported the resale numbers on these cars, my $130K P85D is now worth $50K so I don't think the Founders series is going to have any additional intrinsic value). I'm not going to keep it as a garage queen, I'm going to drive it. Obviously having one of the first one's in town is appealing but if I'm not sure a want a 10000lb pressurized cylinder sitting right behind me (Founder ?) and I like the idea of the small jump seat area similar to a 911's (Base). I'd appreciate your thoughts as to the model you bought.

2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

50K additional for the founders series is not worth it IMO unless some Jay Leno type is going to add it to a collection.

• Like x 1
  3. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Base, and if you are truly concerned about resale value, the Roadster is likely not the best choice.

• Like x 1
  4. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Member

No, man! Don’t pull the plug! That roadster is going to need all the juice it can get.

maybe pull the trigger then

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

We don’t yet know what the founders edition will have to distinguish itself from the base model, I’d assume it would be a fully loaded model but whether or not it’ll have something not available on the base models is yet to be announced.

As of right now the only thing you’re getting with the founders model is an earlier delivery date, is that worth 50k? I say no

• Like x 1
  6. MarkLy

MarkLy Member

Thanks, I think you're right, I wonder what options could possibly be worth $50K. I'll order the Base.

7. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Is the Founders series strictly a 2 seater ?

8. MarkLy

MarkLy Member

We don't know. If the Founder series comes with the cold air thrusters it will not have rear jump seats. If the Funders series doesn't have the thrusters what do you get for the extra $50K?

9. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Bragging rights. People have paid a lot more than $50k for that.

• Love x 1
  10. Regent

Regent Closed

11. Regent

Regent Closed

I put 50,000 back a few months, so look at stock price since and it’s doubled. So since Roadster is last and severe battery shortage, buy 50,000 stock and by the time it’s ready you can buy it for big discount trading stock or trade it for free cybertruck. The founders deposit in 2017 now worth 870,000.

12. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Supporting Member

Is there even founder series left? There was only supposed to be 1k reservations of them, and it's been a while to accumulate.

13. MarkLy

MarkLy Member

Yes Founders are still available, I may have ordered one if there was any details but instead I ordered the Base yesterday

14. kvietor

kvietor Model S VIN 168

Don't expect more than bragging rights on the founders series. I reserved a signature S in 2009 and to this day can't figure out what I got over a standard S other than the signature red as an option. Back then you could resreve a fully loaded standard S with 85kwh battery for about 2 grand less.

Btw still own the sig and love the color. IMG_0447.JPG

15. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

You did also have the option of Signature White interior, which it looks like you (beautifully) chose! :D