Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founders or Base?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to pull the plug on a new roadster but I'm torn as to which model to get. Probably the biggest concern for me is resale value (I know I'm going to lose a bunch of $$ either way and Elon has not previously supported the resale numbers on these cars, my $130K P85D is now worth $50K so I don't think the Founders series is going to have any additional intrinsic value). I'm not going to keep it as a garage queen, I'm going to drive it. Obviously having one of the first one's in town is appealing but if I'm not sure a want a 10000lb pressurized cylinder sitting right behind me (Founder ?) and I like the idea of the small jump seat area similar to a 911's (Base). I'd appreciate your thoughts as to the model you bought.

We don’t yet know what the founders edition will have to distinguish itself from the base model, I’d assume it would be a fully loaded model but whether or not it’ll have something not available on the base models is yet to be announced.

As of right now the only thing you’re getting with the founders model is an earlier delivery date, is that worth 50k? I say no

Reactions: caltechkid
We don’t yet know what the founders edition will have to distinguish itself from the base model, I’d assume it would be a fully loaded model but whether or not it’ll have something not available on the base models is yet to be announced.

As of right now the only thing you’re getting with the founders model is an earlier delivery date, is that worth 50k? I say no
Thanks, I think you're right, I wonder what options could possibly be worth $50K. I'll order the Base.

I'm ready to pull the plug on a new roadster but I'm torn as to which model to get. Probably the biggest concern for me is resale value (I know I'm going to lose a bunch of $$ either way and Elon has not previously supported the resale numbers on these cars, my $130K P85D is now worth $50K so I don't think the Founders series is going to have any additional intrinsic value). I'm not going to keep it as a garage queen, I'm going to drive it. Obviously having one of the first one's in town is appealing but if I'm not sure a want a 10000lb pressurized cylinder sitting right behind me (Founder ?) and I like the idea of the small jump seat area similar to a 911's (Base). I'd appreciate your thoughts as to the model you bought.

I put 50,000 back a few months, so look at stock price since and it’s doubled. So since Roadster is last and severe battery shortage, buy 50,000 stock and by the time it’s ready you can buy it for big discount trading stock or trade it for free cybertruck. The founders deposit in 2017 now worth 870,000.

Don't expect more than bragging rights on the founders series. I reserved a signature S in 2009 and to this day can't figure out what I got over a standard S other than the signature red as an option. Back then you could resreve a fully loaded standard S with 85kwh battery for about 2 grand less.

Btw still own the sig and love the color.
IMG_0447.JPG

Reactions: RabidYak
Don't expect more than bragging rights on the founders series. I reserved a signature S in 2009 and to this day can't figure out what I got over a standard S other than the signature red as an option. Back then you could resreve a fully loaded standard S with 85kwh battery for about 2 grand less.

Btw still own the sig and love the color.View attachment 511011

You did also have the option of Signature White interior, which it looks like you (beautifully) chose! :D