Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founder's Powerwall Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took long enough due to a couple of schedule conflicts. Tesla originally had the install scheduled for last August, but I was on a 3-week road trip all month, so I pushed them off. Little did I know that the availability window for the NE closed for a few months, so I lost my chance. But then they called me in late December and said "how about next week?!".... well my wife was on a big book deadline, so I didn't want to disrupt her for a day, so I scheduled it for today, one day after her deadline.

The rest of the story is pretty much the same as the others, so I'll just go right to the pics. The installers did a really great job.

Before:
upload_2019-1-16_19-44-29.png

During:
upload_2019-1-16_19-44-40.png

After:
upload_2019-1-16_19-44-49.png

upload_2019-1-16_19-49-56.png

Please ignore the messy coax, it was like that when we moved in, and I plan to fix it all nicely above the powerwall.

Since we don't have solar yet, I'm just planning on using it for backup power in case of a powercut, which is pretty infrequent around here. So it's a pretty boring installation.

I am trying to figure out about how long it will last during an outage. I think in a couple of weeks, I'm going to throw the main breaker and see just how long it lasts under normal usage.

That's great to see one actually installed. I've been waiting on my two to be installed since '17, and they're finally getting them pushed through. We're looking to have them done this quarter. I'm looking forward to charging them up at night, when my power is free!

Any solar planned for down the road?

Yes, but we have a really odd roof, so it's like 2 panel here, 3 panels there, one sideways panel there, etc. We can do it, but it would just look 'odd' with the layout. It's not a huge deal because our house is up on a hill so you really don't see much of the roof from any vantage point. If we do get solar, I'd probably get one or two more powerwalls to do use saved solar energy at night.

@HankLloydRight thanks for sharing, how long did the install take? What was your out of pocket cost? (understanding that Tesla comps the install via a credit but there are still a small fee you have to pay)

Took about 9 hours total, two guys. One was an apprentice and the "brawn" to move the heavy stuff around (as he described himself), and the other guy a master electrician. For some reason I'm not quite clear on, during the engineering phase, they said I'd have to pay $400 "extra" due to our layout. But according to the electician, there really was nothing different or special about our install, in fact he said it was pretty straightforward because our utility room was easy to get to (no steps or floors to move the PW up or down). But they haven't charged me yet or sent a bill. Maybe after the town inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: BLKTSLA
How long does it take for Powerwall to show up on the Tesla Account page?

I already have full access via the Tesla App, I figured the website would go along with that.
It doesn't.

You can access it via the app or directly via the IP address of the gateway.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-18_7-52-31.png
    upload_2019-1-18_7-52-31.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 58
How long does it take for Powerwall to show up on the Tesla Account page?

I already have full access via the Tesla App, I figured the website would go along with that.
Powerwall configuration and status can only be viewed from their mobile apps. Their web site provides no access to that data,

However, Elon did indicated as some point in the future we'll see Powerwall data from our Tesla, but that has yet to arrive.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Powerwall configuration and status can only be viewed from their mobile apps. Their web site provides no access to that data,

However, Elon did indicated as some point in the future we'll see Powerwall data from our Tesla, but that has yet to arrive.

Elon Musk on Twitter
I'm looking forward to Teslas having the ability to communicate with the Powerwalls and automatically stop or limit charging if the grid is down.

I wasn't really looking for configuration or status from the Tesla Account page, just confirmation that it's another Tesla product on my account. I really can't control the cars from the webpage either, but they're there as owned products. It would just be nice to see a Powerwall in the home list of cars and perhaps serial numbers, documentation, updates, etc like we can see for the cars.