Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founders Reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for perspective, Ferrari's annual sales have been limited to 7000 cars per year. They are now ramping up to increase that to 9000 cars annually. Mclaren, sold 3286 cars in 2016, and Lamborghini sold 3457. The global market for high performance cars isn't huge. We can assume that some percentage of that total market, perhaps a large percentage, will not be interested in a roadster because it doesn't make vroom vroom noises. Likewise, the roadster will probably attract a certain percentage that otherwise wouldn't buy a high performance car, just because of it's drivetrain. I would guess that they'd be hard pressed to sell 5000 roadsters in the first year, and reservations will be a fraction of that. Unsurprising that there are founders model reservations still available.

Tesla needs to keep the Founder's reservations open for people that have a discount via the referral program. There will probably be more than 1000 Founder's Series if they need to go over that number to accommodate those people.
Tesla apparently owes at least 12 free Roadster Founder's Series cars to people that have over 50 referrals, according to this stat: Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program #jealous

26994044_765586166967847_8382114043043008921_n.png

Reactions: UkrHog and mkspeedr
I would venture to say there is a possibility of the “Free” Founders Roadsters to become something above a normal Founders Roadster. It would be cool if they did something extra.

Thanks Erik

Reviving a thread in light of all those getting a 100% discount. Many more now that the Model 3 referral codes are being used.

Like all other referral prizes, I’m expecting three possible outcomes:

1. Referral program Roadster winners (100% discount) could be considered an advertising expense. Those winning by referring 55 or more are talking about Tesla a LOT. Podcasts, YouTube videos, etc are getting the word out to curious people and current owners alike.

2. Like the powerwall, Arachnid wheels, HPWCs etc could take a long time to be delivered. These people could have to wait to receive the discount, up to 100%, then pay the sales tax to take delivery for a few months to let paying customers get their car first.

3. Best case for everyone I think... Tesla will invite these100% discount earners to the “launch party” to take ownership of their cars first, before public buyers. This happened with the Model 3, though we don’t know how those people were chosen.

No doubt there are still interesting and exciting times ahead for Tesla and all electric transportation.

Reviving a thread in light of all those getting a 100% discount. Many more now that the Model 3 referral codes are being used.

Like all other referral prizes, I’m expecting three possible outcomes:

1. Referral program Roadster winners (100% discount) could be considered an advertising expense. Those winning by referring 55 or more are talking about Tesla a LOT. Podcasts, YouTube videos, etc are getting the word out to curious people and current owners alike.

2. Like the powerwall, Arachnid wheels, HPWCs etc could take a long time to be delivered. These people could have to wait to receive the discount, up to 100%, then pay the sales tax to take delivery for a few months to let paying customers get their car first.

3. Best case for everyone I think... Tesla will invite these100% discount earners to the “launch party” to take ownership of their cars first, before public buyers. This happened with the Model 3, though we don’t know how those people were chosen.

No doubt there are still interesting and exciting times ahead for Tesla and all electric transportation.

A good bunch of thoe people are not living near California. So picking up the car is not going to happen, I guess. especially fo European owners.
On the other hand, I hope they keep the counter going for some time, as in Europe we don't have access to Model 3 ordering, and I'm expecting quite a few referrals for Model 3s when the order page goes open in Europe...

It has been a year since reservations opened and it's still possible to order a Founders Series Roadster.

Do you guys believe there haven't been 1000 deposits?

Maybe they already have more than 1000 but like the deposits on their account? Later they would announce that there was big demand and they wanted to keep everyone happy, so they will build 2000 FS Roadsters.

Maybe they have only a little more but wait because people drop out?

Other explanation?

There has been so much turmoil around TESLA so that maybe they do not yet have 1000 people who are believers enough to dare putting down US250'000.......... for a car that will become available sometime in the not too distant future.... if at all..... :)

It’s still on the website. See Tesla Roadster

Recently the Tesla website changed so that the navigation links that were in a row along the top of the page are no longer there, in effect making the website more focused on the cars Tesla is selling right now and deemphasizing announced future models like the Roadster and the Semi truck. Which makes sense to me.

At some point when the Roadster is closer to going into production I assume the link to its page will return.

It took quite awhile for Model S Signature reservations to close out - but once it was clear production was imminent in coming months, they went fast. I suspect that as it becomes more certain as to when launch will be, you'll see the same thing happen with Roadster Founder reservations.

The referral Roadsters are not counted as part of this total, to the best of my knowledge, even if many will not be 100% free. I'm sure we'll be in the 2nd round of deliveries, after major investors / board members / execs / key friends of company.

Tesla needs to keep the Founder's reservations open for people that have a discount via the referral program. There will probably be more than 1000 Founder's Series if they need to go over that number to accommodate those people.
Tesla apparently owes at least 12 free Roadster Founder's Series cars to people that have over 50 referrals, according to this stat: Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program #jealous
Looks like "Zac and Jesse" alone are getting 6 free Founder's Roadsters. Tesla is giving free ones out like hotcakes (well over 50).
Doesn't seem very limited or exclusive to me...
Maybe the new SpaceX-optioned one will be the real "limited and exclusive" version?

Reactions: aikisteve
Looks like "Zac and Jesse" alone are getting 6 free Founder's Roadsters. Tesla is giving free ones out like hotcakes (well over 50).
Doesn't seem very limited or exclusive to me...
Maybe the new SpaceX-optioned one will be the real "limited and exclusive" version?
They are now already over 100 free ones. However, it seems that you may have to declare them in your taxes (sources Ben Sullins and Bjorn Nyland), so that could become a very expensive "free" car. Many may not be able to afford it then...
By the way, it's limited to 2 Roadsters per person

• Informative
Reactions: Roys3
However, it seems that you may have to declare them in your taxes (sources Ben Sullins and Bjorn Nyland)

"May have to"??? There's no "may".. at least in the US, the Roadsters are definitely 100% taxable income. Unless Tesla does a gross-up to pay the tax on the awards for the winners, but that's highly unlikely. The people that have won two Roadsters can sell one to pay the taxes on both, and keep one really "for free". If you do your own taxes, just plug in a $250k 1099-misc (or $500k) to see how much federal and state taxes you'd have to pay if you won one (or two). This also does not include state sales tax, if applicable.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker