TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Four motor Tesla?

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by ratsbew, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

It seems logical to me that Tesla will want to come out with a four motor car at some point. It seems like this would give you truly the ultimate AWD possible. You'd have instant control of the traction on each corner of the vehicle and none of the inefficiency of differential gears so it should get more range too.

You don't want the motor mounted in the wheel because of the unsprung weight so they would likely be mounted inboard near the suspension linkages and connected to the wheels with short half shafts.

This also opens up a whole lot more possible space in the vehicle. Maybe you could even have a tunnel to the frunk for very long objects like 2x4 planks that could pass from frunk to trunk.

2. JER

JER Member

Maybe in the new Roadster.

3. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

Rimac Concept One has 4 and it gives them tons of control.

I was told by someone from Tesla that engineers stated they had tried 4 motors, but it was too much power. I think they will need to change the body for 4 motors because 265s in the rear aren't wide enough IMO, and I don't know how much wider you could go in the current design.

4. loco

loco Member

That would be very nice. I wish my Tesla had at least a limited slip diff in the rear. Would be a top drift machine. One wheel burnouts aren't nice.. Wonder if it could be retrofitted.

Two motors in the back and one in front would also be a good option.

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually. As you say, it is the ultimate form of AWD, but it also allows some interesting dynamic handling adjustments...

Honda has been experimenting with this in the RLX hybrid, which has a pair of little electric motors driving the rear wheels individually...

6. thegruf

thegruf Member

#6 thegruf, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    one issue with independent 4WD is keeping the motors tightly enough in sync across an axle to prevent torque steer.
    I read somewhere that Merc had all sorts of problems with this in their 4 motor prototype.

Actually Audi E-Tron Concept probably has the better compromise of one motor up front with axle plus two motors at the rear for torque vectoring

7. Ludus

Ludus Member

Being able to steer with the rear wheels too would make it able to maneuver in surprising ways.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

9. billarnett

billarnett Member

And it would be great for an off-road Tesla. No lockers needed!

10. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

#10 Cobbler, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    That technology is already available for years :) . It's called electronic gearing.

11. David99

David99 Active Member

It makes total sense for a driving dynamic point of view. But it takes many more parts and gears. Definitely more expensive than a single or dual motor. I don't see a real advantage for the daily driver, but neither does insane mode, yet people pay for it. Many performance features of cars don't help the daily driver much but they help sell cars a lot.

12. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I have been wondering whether or not the Model S had an LSD. It sure feels like it does when the rear corrects itself during hard cornering.

13. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

Isn't that the ESP kicking in and adjusting the position of the car using the brakes?

14. kennybobby

kennybobby Member