Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have air suspension; both incidents were after hitting pot holes at 30 - 35 mph.

Did you buy your wheels from Tire Rack and when they were shipped - I am wondering if we have wheels from the same batch or not. My wheels were shipped by Tire Rack on October 29.

They must have been more significant potholes than you thought...I mean, I have the Rials with Michelin Xi3's and live in NY where the roads are just horrible. For all four to be bent my guess would be either 1) bigger potholes than you thought or 2) faulty rims...sucks, hope you find a resolution

They must have been more significant potholes than you thought...I mean, I have the Rials with Michelin Xi3's and live in NY where the roads are just horrible. For all four to be bent my guess would be either 1) bigger potholes than you thought or 2) faulty rims...sucks, hope you find a resolution

I am pretty sure that pot holes were not that large - and there is a non-subjective reasoning for that - the pot holes were obviously not large enough to blow a tire.

I've called Tire Rack and emailed them pictures of the damage; waiting for call back with the resolution.

Last edited:
So I'm not crazy. I could have sworn I saw 19" Turbine wheels available as an option in the US Design Studio for about 5 days several months ago.

My deepest apologies!
19" gray Turbines, to my knowledge, don't exist.
19" gray Cyclones do.

They are slightly different and I mixed them up.
I would still recommend requesting them if you would like them.

Does the face of the wheel show any damage? How did you know the wheels were bent, did they start to wobble or bounce? Thanks.

There was no damage on the face of the wheel, which is expected because this is the most rigid part of the wheel due to spokes (turbine blades).

Once the wheel is bent, it is out of round, with the associated vibration. I initially thought that I just knocked the balancing on the wheel off, because there were no damage on the face of the wheel, but after tire shop (following the first incident) took the wheels off the car, it was immediately obvious that they were bent.

Last edited:
There was no damage on the face of the wheel, which is expected because this is the most rigid part of the wheel due to spokes (turbine blades).

Once the wheel is bent, it is out of round, with the associated vibration. I initially thought that I just knocked the balancing on the wheel off, because there were no damage on the face of the wheel, but after tire shop (following the first incident) took the wheels off the car, it was immediately obvious that they were bent.

Hmmm I just noticed that you have a P85+ with 19" wheels. I wonder if this is + suspension related since AFAIK Tesla does NOT recommend/support driving 19" wheels with the + suspension. (I also think I recall reading somewhere that even if you put swap the + 21s with OEM 19s for winter on the + package they'll still make you sign a waiver releasing them from liability). I'm not a suspension guru but if the + package has a MUCH stiffer suspension, this could be why the rims got owned by the pothole.

Hmmm I just noticed that you have a P85+ with 19" wheels. I wonder if this is + suspension related since AFAIK Tesla does NOT recommend/support driving 19" wheels with the + suspension. (I also think I recall reading somewhere that even if you put swap the + 21s with OEM 19s for winter on the + package they'll still make you sign a waiver releasing them from liability). I'm not a suspension guru but if the + package has a MUCH stiffer suspension, this could be why the rims got owned by the pothole.

That is the first time I hear this. In fact I discussed 19" winter tires with the SC, just decided to go with after market at the end. I also think that there is confusion around the "stiffer" word. The plus is stiffer in terms of maintaining suspension geometry. In my experience, it does not compromise the ride at all, i.e. has the same ability to absorb load associated with road bumps/holes.

Another point, again, is that if suspension stiffness resulted in higher impacts transferred to the wheel as compared to non plus suspension, the tires would be more prone to damage, and there is no evidence of this.

Last edited:

Tesla had no issues selling me 19 winter wheels, though I also ultimately went with aftermarket (wanted "real" winter tires). Service has rotated my tires and done an alignment with no mention of issues.

I just got my P85+ today and asked the DA this very question. He said Tesla has no problem with mounting 19" wheels, and that due to the increased profile, I'll lose some grip and performance at the extremes. But that's it. Nothing about it not recommended or signing a waiver. And this guy has been around for a while, so he knows what he's talking about.

I have air suspension; both incidents were after hitting pot holes at 30 - 35 mph.

Did you buy your wheels from Tire Rack and when they were shipped - I am wondering if we have wheels from the same batch or not. My wheels were shipped by Tire Rack on October 29.

Mine were from Tire Rack also, shipped on November 15 from South Bend, IN. I hit my (very moderate, maybe 3" deep) potholes at more like 60 mph. Scary stuff, and a crying shame because the rims look fantastic.

silly discussion around aftermarket as pretty much all wheels are built by other companies than the car companies themselves... But yes to the car manufacturers spec. The rial luganos are within Teslas spec? TUV certification?

I have a P85+ and purchased 19" wheels and snow tires from Tesla. I specifically asked before I purchased them if they were "compatible". The answer was yes, and Tesla swapped out my wheels for winter without signing a waiver. I would have refused had they asked since I purchased the wheels and tires from them.

I have a P85+ and purchased 19" wheels and snow tires from Tesla. I specifically asked before I purchased them if they were "compatible". The answer was yes, and Tesla swapped out my wheels for winter without signing a waiver. I would have refused had they asked since I purchased the wheels and tires from them.

I was going to order a P85+ but had no interest in taking delivery of the car with 21s. Interestingly, the response from my DS when I asked for 19" wheels was that the 21s are a prerequisite for the plus package, but that they'll mount 19s as a service after the initial order. I didn't press further, but I'm thinking I should have. I had read what people mention here about waivers, which I was absolutely unwilling to consider. But if they'll mount 19s waiver-free, why are 21s a prerequisite for the +?

I was going to order a P85+ but had no interest in taking delivery of the car with 21s. Interestingly, the response from my DS when I asked for 19" wheels was that the 21s are a prerequisite for the plus package, but that they'll mount 19s as a service after the initial order. I didn't press further, but I'm thinking I should have. I had read what people mention here about waivers, which I was absolutely unwilling to consider. But if they'll mount 19s waiver-free, why are 21s a prerequisite for the +?

revenue based prerequisite? ;-)

But if they'll mount 19s waiver-free, why are 21s a prerequisite for the +?

Because the P85+ promises the absolute maximum performance, and on the +, the rear wheels are 20mm wider (staggered). If you remove the 21" wheels and tires, it will no longer have the promised max performance of the P85+.

eta: Of course, this is performance at the extremes. 19" wheels+tires will certainly feel different than the 21" 85+ tires, but the real performance hit is at the extreme end of performance.

Because the P85+ promises the absolute maximum performance, and on the +, the rear wheels are 20mm wider (staggered). If you remove the 21" wheels and tires, it will no longer have the promised max performance of the P85+.

eta: Of course, this is performance at the extremes. 19" wheels+tires will certainly feel different than the 21" 85+ tires, but the real performance hit is at the extreme end of performance.

Been driving BMW M cars and always 19". absolutely no need for 20 or 21... its just for looks. yes staggered and 265-300 in the back is important for grip/acceleration.