Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Rial Lugano 19" wheels bent in two weeks - are they up to the task?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how often do you check the air in your tires? Are you keeping your tires at recommended PSI? Granted the Rial's are probably just can't handle the weight of the MS, but what I'm wondering is if your psi is always low, making the tire "softer" and thus more susceptible to allowing a pothole to pinch the tire inward enough to straight up dent and bend the rims.
.................. But like I said i'm very diligent about keeping them at exactly 45psi.

Considering RL's. Reading the thread, it is a given the MS weight and potholes are perhaps the biggest issues, but has anyone considered that running 45psi cold, or at least 48-50 pounds warm isn't doing these wheels any favors? Thinking "more pressure=less pinch flats", works to a point, but it also transfers more of the force to the wheel than by letting the tire absorb it, at lower air pressure. The point I'd suggest is that neither 21's, nor 19's, are suitable for the winter roads many are driving. They're both too close to the road surface. We're asking for these issues more than arriving at substantive quality differences, IMO. Too bad there's no way an 18" snow fits a Model S.

I've been through one winter of below freezing and a few times subzero temps and the Rials have done just fine. I always keep mine at 45 psi.

Potholes. Speed bumps. Snow. Ice.

IMHO, they work just fine.

Just went on a road trip with the RLs and things went great. Smooth ride, and at 20 degrees, 74 degrees cabin temp, seat warmers and 60-65 mph, I'd say 340 Wh/mi is pretty decent on these wheels and tires (Xi3).

Last edited:
Too bad there's no way an 18" snow fits a Model S.

If your interested in removing the front brake caliper pad dampener appendages (8 total) , a non-stepped rim designed wheel should fit with 245/50-18 at 27.7" diam. Not recommending. Jus' sayin'....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 508
EXACT same thing just happened to me. This is my 2nd winter with the Lugano's. Bent 2 rims on driver side hitting moderate pothole at about 40mph. The pictures you posted look exactly like my rims. Have you had any luck getting these repaired?

This thread kind of broke my heart
I have been going through a nightmare of perpetually straightening my stock 19" wheels
Unlike the rest of you, I haven't even ever hit any pot hole
I live in sunny Florida

I was hoping I could end this soft wheel nightmare by switching to aftermarket wheels, but they also seem to be not up to the task of handling the weight of this heavy vehicle.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket wheel that has a high load rating that fits? I just can't live like this anymore. I'm putting the kids of the wheel straightening places through college!

I have a few sets of wheels including 21 square, 21 staggard, TSportline 20s, and Ronal 20s along with a modded rear suspension to increase tire service life. I am very surprised that you are bending so many rims in Fl where our roads are quite decent as compared to the shelled roads points north of Northern VA on the eastern seaboard. Many owners seem to get by on bombed out roads on focatory 19s in the northeast with few problems. Might you consider a new set of TSportline 19s or one of the other Model S specific wheel manufactures that have the proper 64.1 CB, utilize both the Tesla factory OEM lug nuts and centercaps? When I wore out my first set of 21 square Contis at 51,000 miles, I checked the run-out on both the inboard and outboard rim bead surfaces myself with a dial gauge to determine which wheel (if any) was tweaked and needed to be straightened. I just don’t see any reason whatsoever why you are bending 19s in FL. Is your wheel repair shop competent?

Good luck!

Reactions: HankLloydRight