Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Upcoming Self Driving Level 3 Cars by 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to see these manufactures blow deadlines by years just like Tesla has with FSD, but no negative press because the vast majority of people never knew Nissan/Volvo made these goals. It's not a dig at Tesla or the other brands, just shows how difficult FSD is and getting there is not just a "Tesla problem"/Musk purposefully making impossible claims.

This is totally anecdotal, but it feels to me like industry experts/enthusiasts were more certain about achieving L4/L5 in the short terms three years ago than they are today.

@strangecosmos I am often trolling the web for any info on new lane centering systems and know of nothing. Volvo supposed to be rolling out Pro Pilot 3 on a few cars, but my understanding is that still uses ME Q4, not Q4. Months ago I saw a post from someone claiming Nissan would be making an announcement March 2019, but haven't heard anything yet and no idea if they are an insider or blowing smoke.

Interesting to see these manufactures blow deadlines by years just like Tesla has with FSD, but no negative press because the vast majority of people never knew Nissan/Volvo made these goals. It's not a dig at Tesla or the other brands, just shows how difficult FSD is and getting there is not just a "Tesla problem"/Musk purposefully making impossible claims.

This is totally anecdotal, but it feels to me like industry experts/enthusiasts were more certain about achieving L4/L5 in the short terms three years ago than they are today.

The difference of course being: When you pre-sell something (Tesla) you expose yourself to different types of criticism than when it is just a future product (Nissan).

Just found this thread, interesting to see Nissan failed to meet their 2.0 highway feature set in 2018 (I see no mention of it anywhere yet) and Volvo still seems to be using EyeQ3 despite video suggesting they would be on EyeQ4 by now. When is a Tesla AP competitor coming from other manufactures in economy cars?

There was talk in another thread how Volvo decided to go their own way for future products around the time Tesla did and lost a couple of years as a result. I believe the EyeQ4 talk and Volvo are thus no longer relevant. @Bladerskb can fill us in on that one.

Just found this thread, interesting to see Nissan failed to meet their 2.0 highway feature set in 2018 (I see no mention of it anywhere yet) and Volvo still seems to be using EyeQ3 despite video suggesting they would be on EyeQ4 by now. When is a Tesla AP competitor coming from other manufactures in economy cars?

Nissan moved their late 2018 target, to March 2019 a long time ago.

I think they were planning for an announcement in the first week of Spring this year. Which would be a Japan only launch soft launch of pro pilot 2. I think there is a chance we will still see that announcement at the end of March.

However, its possible they delayed that program again. Also likely, due to the acquisition of USHR in the US... the pilot program for HD map crowd sourcing.. the will want to make sure they can replicate that with USHR in the US

None of those manufacturers listed took customers money on their pipedreams!!!
Like Tesla did from me 2+ years ago:

IMG_0266.PNG

IMG_0267.PNG

IMG_0279.PNG

Reactions: DanCar and am_dmd
Do any of these 4 companies (Audi, Nissan, Volvo, or Honda) offer any Level 3 feature in any consumer vehicle to this date?

Honda got L3 designation in Japan and plans to lease 100 Legend vehicles using the tech. Technically it's a "consumer" vehicle, but the limitations make them similar to their hydrogen fleet, where the number is so low (not much different than an in-house test fleet) the risk and cost to them is also quite low (even if the suite cost is a net loss),
https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2020/4201111eng.html

Audi has completely given up on their L3 system. Volvo is not pursuing L3, but rather L4, but so far nothing yet to offered to the consumer. Nissan has released their ProPilot 2.0 in some models, but unlike Honda's not an L3 system (despite some initial reporting suggesting that during development, likely because of some journalists using their own definition of L3, where basically "hands-free" is called L3, when SAE uses a different definition).

No wonder they keep on focusing on stuff Tesla is actually doing. There's nothing really happening with these other OEMs, other than drastically revised or abandoned plans, consolidation, exec turn-over, ...etc... Years later and still nothing.

DanCar: Yup. I think this particular nick spends a lot of time on TMC dispensing FUD and keeps on telling others that he's right about everything. Most of us have learned to ignore him due to his awful track record.

That’s very helpful, thanks. So, 0/4 of these alleged L3 systems have materialized even 17 months after the end of 2019.

2/4 are fully abandoned.

1/4 possibly never existed in the first place.
I like an accurate accounting of the past, since the past tends to repeat itself. Makes us smarter.

That’s very helpful, thanks. So, 0/4 of these alleged L3 systems have materialized even 17 months after the end of 2019.

2/4 are fully abandoned.

1/4 possibly never existed in the first place.

And an L3+ system has also never materialized for Tesla even 42 months after end of 2017 when Elon Musk said a Tesla will be able to drive from LA to NYC with no human needed. Then abandoned the progress in 2019 for a critical re-write.

So what's your point? That no one including Tesla has solved FSD? Yep correct. I don't understand why you talk down on other researchers in the FSD/autonomy space other than Tesla. They are in the same boat as everyone else, trying to solve a problem that has no clear solution, and pivoting when the planned solution doesn't work.