Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Windshield Washer Tips

PianoAl

Dec 15, 2019
Far Northern California
1. I found that when my car first said it was running low on windshield washer fluid, I could put 11 cups of windshield washer fluid in before it overflowed. Next time, I will put exactly 10 cups in, avoiding any overflow.

2. There are many DIY windshield washer fluid recipes online.

3. The Model 3 manual says: "Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises."

4. If you ever find that you're not getting fluid from one of the wiper blades, stop using the windshield washer button. It may mean that one of the tubes has fallen off its nozzle (right near the windshield washer fluid filler cap). If that's the case, you will be squirting fluid into the car. It's easy to take off the panel in the frunk to check on this. See "Disappearing" Windshield Wiper Fluid [Update: passenger side wiper hose was not connected]

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
it really holds 10 cups? I thought most held just over a gallon... so when it was out.. you could literally dump in a gallon. you could on most of what I've owned.

Ryephile

Nov 15, 2019
Detroit
After I took delivery I went to "top off" the washer fluid and ended up putting in damn near a full gallon.

The main thing I'd like to see is an option to turn off the "courtesy wipe" after using the washer spray. 4 total wipes (3 + 1 courtesy wipe) after releasing the washer button has always resulted in smearing from too many wipes.

CFdriver

Feb 17, 2020
SoCal
Does anyone buy water fluid or do most make their own?

Don't really want to make my own and not sure which one won't cause the above mentioned streaks and squeaks.

Thanks!

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
I had the left washer hose get a hole, Tesla wanted $70 for the hose! It has to come with a "complementary" wiper arm. Hose not available separately! Used a 1/8 hose barb fitting to repair it for $2.39

rds4eyes

Jul 29, 2021
Naples Florida
I looked under hood and all hoses are connected. still drivers side does not work and get washer fluid smell indide. One repair tech at my house said it wasn't supposed to work!!!!! Cna't believe it
Dick Shapiro

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC