Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Suspect will be a subscription model like renting a cable box, say $19.95 a month. In exchange for free off peak charging and not having to pay for a charger and charger installation costs might be worth it for some people.

It doesn't say free, it says "one low price".
You're right, I mis-heard it. :)

My main question though, is there going to be an interface for a Tesla. The example wall connector they show appears to be J1772 connector, so an adapter is necessary.

I'm also curious on costs, benefits, etc. since this is the first I've heard of this plan.

Knowing FPL, though, I suspect that it won't benefit me over the Tesla wall connector I already have in my garage. :)

Reactions: mangrove79
I wonder if there will be an option for a "subscription", but bring-your-own-hardware. Like maybe they can allow for metering through a smart device, or a specific circuit, etc. Like @FloridaJohn pointed out, there's a large number of Tesla owners who want to use a Tesla specific EVSE.

Obviously, the simplest implementation is using some custom FLP EVSE, but maybe this will evolve like internet services (we use all our own gear).

I received an e-mail from FPL about this upcoming program. No additional details, but this is the main part of it:

"Enjoy the benefits of a level 2 charger with unlimited nights and weekends, all for one low price — coming summer 2022. "

I feel like this might be an FPL-branded L2 charger that can communicate usage back to FPL. Most likely the "one low price" will be more than I am currently paying for straight electricity to charge my car, and I don't need "unlimited" charging since the car can only be charged to a maximum amount. I'm not sure that selling charging like cell phone plans will work out so well. We'll see. ;)

I have current monitor on my charging circuit so I know exactly how much electricity I used last year to charge my car. Should be pretty straightforward to run the numbers (once we know what they are).

That sounds useful, what are you using to do that?
I am using a previous version of this:

Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor with 16 50A Circuit Level Sensors | Real Time Electricity Monitor/Meter | Solar/Net Metering Amazon.com

You have to open up your breaker panel to install, but once it’s in it works pretty reliably. The car charging circuit numbers match pretty well with what the car reports (a little higher due to losses).

• Helpful
My guess is that the FP&L offer is designed to shift load to off peak hours. I imagine that having a bunch of EV chargers hitting the grid late afternoons early evenings during very hot weather is or will soon start to be a problem in some areas. Delaying EV charging until late night or very early AM hours could really help out.

I am using a previous version of this:

Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor with 16 50A Circuit Level Sensors | Real Time Electricity Monitor/Meter | Solar/Net Metering Amazon.com

You have to open up your breaker panel to install, but once it’s in it works pretty reliably. The car charging circuit numbers match pretty well with what the car reports (a little higher due to losses).
very cool, thanks!

I received an e-mail about this program today. Here is what it said:

"The new FPL EVolution Home program will be an affordable, convenient and worry-free electric vehicle (EV) charging experience. We will install, permit and maintain a level-2 EV charger and the required 240-volt in your garage. Just plug in and forget it ⁠— chargers will be programmed to automatically start charging during off-peak periods so you can enjoy the benefits of unlimited weeknight and weekend charging all for one low monthly cost.

FPL EVolution Home, a residential charging program, is coming this summer. To help us design a better experience, please take a few minutes to answer a brief survey."

I took the survey which asked basic info about where I lived (like if there is an attached garage), what type of charging set-up I currently have, and how much I charge at home vs. away from home. It asked if there was anything I wanted to know, and I responded with "pricing."

From the description above it sounds like they will remotely turn on the power to the charger during the allotted times. It's probably going to be a J1772 plug based on the description above. So adapter necessary for Tesla use with this charger (that is an assumption on my part). The survey did ask which make of car I had, if that changes anything (unlikely).

I still have a feeling that it won't be saving me any money, but I will wait and see.

I did too! Though I haven't taken the survey yet.

Our electricity use (since we're low mileage drivers) is very low, plus the idea of using their equipment (and dealing with their CS/help desk) isn't all that appealing (it's why we use all our own networking equipment). If anyone is interested, this is the actual email I got (assuming @FloridaJohn's was the same):

1648760491862.png

Yea they are offering to install a L2 charger at no cost but it doesn't reall state if that cost is deferred . I alrealy installed a tesla L2 charger outside but depending upon what the offering is I may allow them to install another charger non tesla L2 charger .

But then again, knowing FPL this will not be anywhere near free. The fact that they said "Unlimited nights and weekends" likely means they will be adjusting rates through the charger which will need to be an adjustment on your meter readings.

Lets see.. I finished the survey and was honest that I have a L2 Tesla charger already .

I did too! Though I haven't taken the survey yet.

Our electricity use (since we're low mileage drivers) is very low, plus the idea of using their equipment (and dealing with their CS/help desk) isn't all that appealing (it's why we use all our own networking equipment). If anyone is interested, this is the actual email I got (assuming @FloridaJohn's was the same):

View attachment 788471
Yep, same e-mail I got.

I was also thinking that the FPL L2 charger is probably going to be capped at 32 amps. My Tesla charger is running at 48 amps right now. I can probably get by at 32 amps, but it's going to have to be a good deal for me to remove my existing infrastructure and make the change.

Yea they are offering to install a L2 charger at no cost but it doesn't reall state if that cost is deferred . I alrealy installed a tesla L2 charger outside but depending upon what the offering is I may allow them to install another charger non tesla L2 charger .

But then again, knowing FPL this will not be anywhere near free. The fact that they said "Unlimited nights and weekends" likely means they will be adjusting rates through the charger which will need to be an adjustment on your meter readings.

Lets see.. I finished the survey and was honest that I have a L2 Tesla charger already .
It sounds like they are going to have a monthly fee for this service. No information on what that will be, though.

Does FPL really have off-peak rates? The last time I looked on their site I didn't find any. I only charge my Tesla between midnight and 7:00 am.
Yes, they do. But by all accounts it is difficult to get set up and not really a great plan (I am not on it, BTW). More info in this thread:

Just got more info on this. So there are two levels a $38/month plan and $31/month plan. The $38 will have them install a L2 charger and perform permitting etc. The $31 plan allows you to use your existing 220 connection with their equipment. They both offer free nights and weekends but do not specify times and after FPL is done robbing you for 10 years, you get to keep the equipment. Not completely worth it in my book, but that’s just me.

Reactions: Stan930
Just got more info on this. So there are two levels a $38/month plan and $31/month plan. The $38 will have them install a L2 charger and perform permitting etc. The $31 plan allows you to use your existing 220 connection with their equipment. They both offer free nights and weekends but do not specify times and after FPL is done robbing you for 10 years, you get to keep the equipment. Not completely worth it in my book, but that’s just me.

If they are giving you free nights and weekends there must be a plan after you own the equipment. If someone has multiple EV's and doing about 1300 miles or more a month then it would be worth it for that cost