Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL Advertisement about EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got more info on this. So there are two levels a $38/month plan and $31/month plan. The $38 will have them install a L2 charger and perform permitting etc. The $31 plan allows you to use your existing 220 connection with their equipment. They both offer free nights and weekends but do not specify times and after FPL is done robbing you for 10 years, you get to keep the equipment. Not completely worth it in my book, but that’s just me.

Based on @TripleA83's message, I went and looked at FPL's website for this program. There is quite a bit of new information up there, including a FAQ.

The pricing that @TripleA83 posted is correct. It's $38/month if FPL installs the Level 2 charger in your garage, and $31/month if you install it yourself (or get your own electrician to install it).

At the face of it, it seems like an OK deal for me. I spend around $30 to $50 each month on electricity for my Model 3, so there is a moderate amount of savings to be had.

First, the deal is for a 10 year period only. So if you want FPL to install the charger for you, then the simple cost is $7*120 months, or $840. That is somewhat reasonable, not including present value of money and what not.

If you move or otherwise need to terminate the agreement before the end of the 10 year period, then you will have to pay $768.48 as an early-termination fee. FPL will apparently come out and remove the equipment. You will have to sign a new, 10-year agreement at your new house. Why a 10-year agreement? FPL says that is because that is "the expected life of the charging equipment." So it's great that they will let you keep it after 10 years, but they don't think you will want it by then, or it may not work properly, or be supported by them. Who knows, maybe it will still be OK after 10 years.

Allowable (off-peak) charging hours are:
  • From November through March, off-peak hours are Monday through Friday 10:00 pm to 6:00 am and 10:00 am to 6:00 pm; all weekends; and the holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
  • From April through October, off-peak hours are 9:00 pm to 12:00 pm; all weekends; and the holidays of Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day.
You can still charge during peak hours, you'll just pay 22.87¢ /kWh for the privilege. Apparently there will be an app to help you control everything.

No information on the charger itself, the interface, or the maximum amps it can use. Also, no accommodation for two electric chargers in your garage at this time.

I am still considering, as it looks like it will take me a little over 3 years to save enough to break even on the early termination charge. Off-peak hours don't bother me any. RIght now, I only have one EV, but it could change to 2 before 10 years.

They don't actually give an off peak rate but it is not free they just say reduced

When calculating total monthly energy consumed and taking into account typical driving patterns, customers enrolled in FPL EVolution Home and using the provided FPL EVolution charging equipment will receive an average lower rate than customers not enrolled in the program, due to the decreased rate used for off-peak hours.

They don't actually give an off peak rate but it is not free they just say reduced
Yeah, I read that too. I was trying to decide if all electricity going into the house was at a reduced rate (a true off-peak plan) or if they were averaging your $31/month (or $38/month) in with the rest of your electric usage which would mathematically be a "decreased rate". Or I'm reading too much into it.

Yeah, I read that too. I was trying to decide if all electricity going into the house was at a reduced rate (a true off-peak plan) or if they were averaging your $31/month (or $38/month) in with the rest of your electric usage which would mathematically be a "decreased rate". Or I'm reading too much into it.

I think the 31 or 38 is just the monthly fee they are charging you to install the box and the cost of the box . They will monitor that box and bill you a reduced rate on that usage in your monthly electric bill so you will likely see the normal rates and then the reduced rate (whatever that is) they are giving for ev charging .

I think the 31 or 38 is just the monthly fee they are charging you to install the box and the cost of the box . They will monitor that box and bill you a reduced rate on that usage in your monthly electric bill so you will likely see the normal rates and then the reduced rate (whatever that is) they are giving for ev charging .
That’s an interesting take. Reading it that way would lead me to believe one would be paying a monthly fee for the box, plus some undisclosed amount for the electricity actually used.

They sure don’t market it that way, but if that is the case than it is less attractive than I first thought.

I already get “unlimited” electricity, I just have to pay more the more I use. :)

That’s an interesting take. Reading it that way would lead me to believe one would be paying a monthly fee for the box, plus some undisclosed amount for the electricity actually used.

They sure don’t market it that way, but if that is the case than it is less attractive than I first thought.

I already get “unlimited” electricity, I just have to pay more the more I use. :)
Well they are saying unlimited but they are also saying at a reduced rate so the reduced rate is for all off peak hours instead of like the first x hours . If they had actually said "FREE" I think you would be seeing people have these boxes installed and refeed the charging cable back into their house to have free electricity , or heck you can buy a bunch of powerwallsl and then charge them for free at night . I think they were purposley deceptive to get people to sign up. It may still be an easier thing to do then lay out $1500 for a charger and install.

Well they are saying unlimited but they are also saying at a reduced rate so the reduced rate is for all off peak hours instead of like the first x hours . If they had actually said "FREE" I think you would be seeing people have these boxes installed and refeed the charging cable back into their house to have free electricity , or heck you can buy a bunch of powerwallsl and then charge them for free at night . I think they were purposely deceptive to get people to sign up. It may still be an easier thing to do then lay out $1500 for a charger and install.

Yeah, I'm always suspicious of FPL and their "deals." I have yet to see one that is mutually beneficial to both the customer and FPL.

If the monthly fee is only for the box, then you are paying a minimum of $31*120 = $3,720 for their box over 10 years, plus the cost of electricity to charge your car (at some undisclosed reduced rate). Unless that reduced rate is extremely low (like 1 cent per KWh) it is unlikely that this will be cheaper than my current Tesla level 2 charging set-up already in my garage.

I do agree that this marketing plan is deceptive. They market it like a cell phone plan (unlimited nights & weekends!), but let the consumer assume that means "free" (again, like a cell phone plan) when it means no such thing.

Gee, I spoke to the manger when the program was created and it seemed much more attractive. My impression was electricity was free during off-peak times, but clearly that’s not the case, just a reduced price. The photos show an Enel-X Juicebox, probably Pro which allows management software. My condominium uses the same EVSE. I don’t like a 10 year commitment on any program because it inhibits a better offer later. I spend about $38 a month on EV juice now so there’s no advantage. Bummer.

Well they are saying unlimited but they are also saying at a reduced rate so the reduced rate is for all off peak hours instead of like the first x hours . If they had actually said "FREE" I think you would be seeing people have these boxes installed and refeed the charging cable back into their house to have free electricity , or heck you can buy a bunch of powerwallsl and then charge them for free at night . I think they were purposley deceptive to get people to sign up. It may still be an easier thing to do then lay out $1500 for a charger and install.
If you google "FPL rate tariff" and scroll down to their "RESIDENTIAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING SERVICES RIDER PILOT" you can find the breakdown of the rates. For the self-install plan there's a "Monthly Program Charge" of $18.41 and a "Monthly Off-Peak Energy Charge" of $12.73 for a total of $31.14 per month. After that it spells out the On/Off peak thing: "For energy used exclusively for electric vehicle charging, the following charges and rates shall apply: On Peak: 22.87cents/kWh Off Peak: N/A.

To me that pretty clearly says that its actually free unlimited off peak charging, and what they meant by the lower rates thing is exactly what FloridaJohn said above:

It is certainly possible that the rider there is just a separate pilot program, but the numbers and description very closely match the program being discussed here. I'm pretty curious to learn the amperage of the charger they'll supply, and if they will do anything to vary how fast it can charge based on one's usage.

If you google "FPL rate tariff" and scroll down to their "RESIDENTIAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING SERVICES RIDER PILOT" you can find the breakdown of the rates. For the self-install plan there's a "Monthly Program Charge" of $18.41 and a "Monthly Off-Peak Energy Charge" of $12.73 for a total of $31.14 per month. After that it spells out the On/Off peak thing: "For energy used exclusively for electric vehicle charging, the following charges and rates shall apply: On Peak: 22.87cents/kWh Off Peak: N/A.

To me that pretty clearly says that its actually free unlimited off peak charging, and what they meant by the lower rates thing is exactly what FloridaJohn said above:

It is certainly possible that the rider there is just a separate pilot program, but the numbers and description very closely match the program being discussed here. I'm pretty curious to learn the amperage of the charger they'll supply, and if they will do anything to vary how fast it can charge based on one's usage.

Not sure how they do this because I currently don't have any off peak rates its basically 0.10858 for up to 1000KW and 0.12858 for anything over . I'm already over 1500KWH a month with solar so I'll be on the 12.9 cents or about $50 a month in additional electricity so $31.14 a month would be saving me money with just 1 car.

I'll wait to see someone who actually does it and what they are getting charged. I'll swap out my tesla wall charger if its true and it really won't cost me anything

Well that is certainly encouraging. I’m with you on wanting the details of the charger.

Reactions: TheDom
IF you can figure out how to get off grid (and NOT be forced to pay monthly fees) this would be cheapest long term solution.
I never saw any utility work to actually lower rate payers costs.

side note: China 36% electricity generation was from WIND last year.
The data, from the country's National Energy Administration, indicate that just under 17 gigawatts of offshore wind capacity were installed in 2021. The extraordinary expansion means that China now operates almost half of the world's installed offshore wind, with 26 gigawatts of a total of 54 gigawatts worldwide. Jan 26, 2022

Not sure how they do this because I currently don't have any off peak rates its basically 0.10858 for up to 1000KW and 0.12858 for anything over . I'm already over 1500KWH a month with solar so I'll be on the 12.9 cents or about $50 a month in additional electricity so $31.14 a month would be saving me money with just 1 car.
Seems to me they’re essentially going to subtract any kWh that goes through the charger from your overall home use, then for any of those kWh done during peak times you get charged $0.22 for, and nothing extra for the off peak charging. Everything that doesn’t go through the charger would be billed on your normal rate plan.

We have been on FPLs TOU plan for a few years now and I might consider switching back if it’s just $31 or $38 for unlimited off peak charging. We have two Model 3s now and have been fine at just 32a charging speeds and 800-1000kWh/mo total between them.

Seems to me they’re essentially going to subtract any kWh that goes through the charger from your overall home use, then for any of those kWh done during peak times you get charged $0.22 for, and nothing extra for the off peak charging. Everything that doesn’t go through the charger would be billed on your normal rate plan.

We have been on FPLs TOU plan for a few years now and I might consider switching back if it’s just $31 or $38 for unlimited off peak charging. We have two Model 3s now and have been fine at just 32a charging speeds and 800-1000kWh/mo total between them.
The off peak for half the year is only 3 hours a night but luckily the system is porgrammable to only charge during off peak.. The other downer is that they will only let you charge 1 vehicle with it

1652502617460.png

1652502200396.png

1652502319300.png
1652502429793.png

I read “9 pm to 12 pm” as “9 pm to noon,” not “9 pm to midnight.”

Peak electric usage in the summer is in the afternoon and evening, so I think you have 15 hours off-peak, not 3.
Your right I read that wrong....

My only concern is the 1 car thing. They say conflicting things.. First they say the charger is not linked to the EV and then they say they are limiting it to a single EV.

So either its all on the honor system or they are not linking the equipment to an EV but they can still see and log the equipment.

Either way they would drive me to get an F150 or Ionic 5 as the 2nd car which can charge other vehicles .

1652541121592.png

1652541146104.png

Has anyone actually gone through the webform for this to try to be notified when the program is available? I did so a while back and have heard nothing but crickets. Due to a long daily commute and a lot of weekend driving (I've put over 41k miles on my M3 in the year I have owned it), this has the potential to save me a LOT of money.

Has anyone actually gone through the webform for this to try to be notified when the program is available? I did so a while back and have heard nothing but crickets. Due to a long daily commute and a lot of weekend driving (I've put over 41k miles on my M3 in the year I have owned it), this has the potential to save me a LOT of money.

I signed up through the website when the program was first announced. I received a little bit of communication early on (which is documented in this thread by myself and others). Since then, things have gone silent. Occasionally I check the FAQ on the website to see if anything has changed. There have been a few edits over the summer, but nothing substantial.

My current theory is that can't get the inventory they need of the wall chargers, so they are waiting until they do.

My current theory is that can't get the inventory they need of the wall chargers, so they are waiting until they do.

Entirely possible. Unfortunately, we live in a former Gulf Power service area, and the switch to FPL has been less than pleasant. As a result, my opinion of FPL is pretty low, and it's easy to just assume the worst (IE: they don't want to follow through with the offers so they generate more profit).