Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL and scheduled charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if any of you know if Florida Power and Light has any sort of EV program with variable pricing that would encourage scheduled charging at low demand time frames?...cheaper in the middle of the night?

I've poked around on their web site and found nothing....but I obviously haven't yet contacted them....

E-mail from FPL after I contacted them:

"Congratulations on driving “green” with your Tesla. Electric vehicles (EVs) save money, help the environment, and are fun to drive!

Thank you for your inquiry regarding EV incentives and rates. At this time, we do not have an EV incentive or rate. Fortunately, FPL's rates are among the lowest in the nation. A typical 1000 miles per month driven would add about $35 per month to the electric bill. EV incentives and rates are continuously considered so if one should become available in the future, it will be communicated to our customers.

FPL does have a Time-of-Use rate available, and here is the FPL.com link for your review: FPL | Rates | Residential Time of Use Rate. I image you will be charging your EV at home with the usage more than likely being tabulated on the same house meter as your air conditioner and other home appliances. If the bulk of the load can be shifted to off-peak times, the Residential Time-of-Use rate could be considered. Air conditioning is typically a higher kilowatt hour cost per hour than EV charging so it may be optimal to remain on the Standard Residential rate. It really depends on how much shifting you can do. If you are on a Standard Residential rate, it is the same cost to charge any time, day or night, so charge when it is convenient for you."

That said, I always keep the cars plugged in at home and charge from midnight onward. After reviewing my FPL bill I'm paying ~$.80 per day including other appliance that are always plugged in and running. (fridge, modem, A/C, ceiling fans) This is at my current driving level which is ~20K miles a year.

This is where having a solar system, Powerwalls and ToU rates can help. Over 98.5% of our grid usage is during our utility's off-peak period. We have our Powerwalls and solar scheduled to power the house over 22 hours a day. We could probably live off the grid about 9 months of the year but by being connected, we're able to send our surplus solar back to the grid and take advantage of it during Storm Watch periods. Our utility (not FPL) allows us to roll over credits indefinitely so we earn huge peak and part-peak credits in the spring/summer/fall which will carry over and cover our electric bills in the winter or other stormy months when we might not have a surplus. Since we only use off-peak grid usage ($0.08/kWh), it makes those credits earned at $0.13/kWh or $0.20/kWh last that much longer. Sure, it wasn't cheap to install but prices have dropped 40% since we put in solar and we live knowing we could live off the grid indefinitely.