TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FPL Off-Peak Charging

Discussion in 'Florida' started by jasonjax, Aug 31, 2015.

1. jasonjax

jasonjax Member

Has anyone signed up for FPL's Off-Peak Charging program and or had an analysis done?

Picking up my 85D tomorrow, already have HPWC installed and got to thinking this could be a good way to save a few bucks on electric bill.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Jason,

Here are some links to threads that may interest you:

Time of use Charging?

Let's Talk FPL Rate Options

By the way, doesn't the City of Jacksonville Beach provide electric service to Ponte Vedra?

Larry

3. LeoJ

LeoJ Member

I switched over to TOU (RTR-1 Residential Time of Use Rider) from RS-1 Residential Service about two months ago. Haven't done an in-depth cost analysis yet but so far looks good. We basically changed our car charging and running the dishwasher to evening hours and washing/drying to weekends. It didn't create any kind of a hardship on our part. Finally found the right person at FPL to talk to about it as the several that I talked to tried to talk me out of it as they were under the impression that it was set up for businesses only. You need to contact Tammy Franklin 1-800-749.2285 extension 25. She will do a cost analysis for you. She did one on us and it came out looking real good so we switched over. There is a $11.90 a month charge for the meter and you can opt out of the program anytime with out charge.

https://www.fpl.com/rates/time-of-use.html

https://www.fpl.com/rates/pdf/electric-tariff-section8.pdf

View attachment FPL TOU Docs.pdf

FPL’s “peak” hours are listed below. All other hours are considered “off-peak.”

• Nov. 1 - March 31: Monday through Friday between 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. excluding Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day

• April 1 – Oct. 31: Monday through Friday during the hours from noon to 9 p.m., excluding Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day

4. jasonjax

jasonjax Member

Thanks for the info LeoJ.

I thought I responded to this thread earlier. Must have been my tablet freaking out on the wireless.

Larry, to answer your question: I live in Nocatee (West of PVB) so FPL provides our power and JEA provides our water.

5. hipringles

hipringles Member

I just switched to it.

Long story short, if you can go 75% off peak, you'll save money.

My house is around 87-90%, so we were our bill would be around 220, its now 160

6. jasonjax

jasonjax Member

Makes me want to get solar and a powerwall and go off peak and have a REALLY low bill!

7. hipringles

hipringles Member

I am having a hard time finding a company in the space coast area that looks like they are worth a crap for solar :(

8. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

I went solar last year. Best move I've ever made. My monthly bill has been $19.60 so far this year :smile: (no backup battery)

9. Solarguy

Solarguy Member

#9 Solarguy, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    I used Brevard Solar, talk to Jim Spann the owner and let him know Mike Z referred you. Great people to work with and have done more than 1000 systems to date. They did my original install (10Kw system) 4 years ago and added another 5Kw last year.

http://www.brevardsolar.com

My FPL bill is now $9.06 per month (all just fees and taxes) for an all electric 4K square foot home and a Model S to run. I'll probably add a little more capacity when we get the Model X though.