Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FPL PTO "System Size Must Be Reduced"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the Solar Roof Installed which ended up oversized 50%.

PTO Net Metering draft says: "The system production is larger than your annual energy usage. The system size must be reduced prior to FPL approval." Took a look at the checklist on Tesla website and "approval to install" was never checked off. Solar Roof was completed over a month ago.

Can anyone provide insight on this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.25.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.25.39 PM.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.30.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.30.37 PM.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 73
Had the Solar Roof Installed which ended up oversized 50%.

PTO Net Metering draft says: "The system production is larger than your annual energy usage. The system size must be reduced prior to FPL approval." Took a look at the checklist on Tesla website and "approval to install" was never checked off. Solar Roof was completed over a month ago.

Can anyone provide insight on this?
How in the world would one take solar roof panels off? Do you have EV car(s)? If so, for how long? You solar does not seem that large to me. Wow

Tesla should have gotten approval before the installation. But are you sure FPL is correct?

Do you know your annual usage? I'd be surprised having two EVs that an 11.7kW system would be over your annual energy usage.

For reference, I have a 12kW system and one EV and I am a net consumer. You probably use A/C more there than we do here.

Reactions: SVDNN
PTO Net Metering draft says: "The system production is larger than your annual energy usage.
Cannot comment on the website step not being set but usually Tesla, when filling out the PTO, indicates your annual usage is going to be increased. I would guess they did not do that. From my experience they seem to do that no matter what size system you have.

BTW did your former annual usage including charging an EV if that changed?

The house we installed the solar roof we bought earlier this year, we do not have 1 year of tracking. The bill I uploaded was for a summer month.

Gas Dryer + Gas Heater, so I was banking on the cooler months to rack up credits and leave my HVAC on 24/7 during the summer.

The house we installed the solar roof we bought earlier this year, we do not have 1 year of tracking. The bill I uploaded was for a summer month.

Gas Dryer + Gas Heater, so I was banking on the cooler months to rack up credits and leave my HVAC on 24/7 during the summer.
Just have Tesla update your PTO application with your planned (current?) usage. IF they ask for details mention the EVs that were not there before. They are huge loads.

How in the world would one take solar roof panels off?
This is not what the OP should do, but I thought I'd answer this side question anyway. You can easily remove PV tiles and replace them with glass non-PV tiles. The only complication I can see is you might need to re-balance your wiring if Tesla set up parallel strings (which I think is common for the solar roofs).

This is not what the OP should do, but I thought I'd answer this side question anyway. You can easily remove PV tiles and replace them with glass non-PV tiles. The only complication I can see is you might need to re-balance your wiring if Tesla set up parallel strings (which I think is common for the solar roofs).
I did not at all say he "should" do that, but was interested in technically now could one. Not an easy task.

When I added another 15KW of solar, I was really really concerned PGE would not approve. I kept telling installers this, and they said they just ask after done. Luckily no transformer or load issue. And since the load data I used was 2 years ago, I just am happy its all done. Well, still waiting for my third true up this year which will delete my 3k worth of credit I have now. :(

I have not yet paid a down payment due to the damage that was caused to my house during the install. I am not going to pay the down payment until someone Tesla responds to what is happening. I was under the impression that I was able to get net metering, they should have made sure my configuration made sense for FPL to enable it. They oversize my config and charged me for it.

So far, cricket chirps after sending emails to my advisor and also the project manager about this net metering issue. They have a remediation crew coming down from North Carolina to fix my fascia/soffit on Wednesday, so I 'll ask again then.

Reactions: kairojya