Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fractured software versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can those of you that have been around for a while confirm that the current software distribution of major software versions between vehicles is quite unusual. According to TeslaFi:

15% of 2020.4.x (five different versions)
61% on 2020.8.x (three different versions)
19% on 2020.12.x (two different versions)

At times, these versions have been restricted to specific models or submodels, but now seem broadly distributed.

If unusual, what is Tesla up to? Testing different versions of HW3 FSD software?

Normal, but at the same time I find it weird too. Normally I get a new update when ~6000 users of TeslaFi have it. When there were multiple updates running around, I would always have to wait until everyone (6000+) had the latest. This time around I got 2020.8.3 pushed this morning even though 2020.12.x are out. That has not happened in the months I've had the car, it's the first time. It feels to me like Tesla has changed the way they propagate builds...

It appears to me that they used to push out a new major release to a small population. If successful, then to everyone, if not then a minor revision. Then everyone gets moved en masse (aside from those who intentionally wait).

At this time, the migration path includes:

8.1 -> 8.2
4.1 -> 8.3
4.1 -> 8.2
8.1 -> 8.1.1
8.1 -> 12.1
8.2 -> 12.1

It appears to me that they used to push out a new major release to a small population. If successful, then to everyone, if not then a minor revision. Then everyone gets moved en masse (aside from those who intentionally wait).

At this time, the migration path includes:

8.1 -> 8.2
4.1 -> 8.3
4.1 -> 8.2
8.1 -> 8.1.1
8.1 -> 12.1
8.2 -> 12.1

May want to add another data point.

I just went 8.2 -> 8.3 last night.
(Quebec, Canada, SR+ w HW3)

I have not been able to pinpoint the distribution logic.
I'm not noticing many Canadians or other countries other than the US getting the 2020.12 update unless their car just recently went through a HW3 retrofit. I still have the old 2019 map data on my car. We probably won't get the stopping at stoplight/sign for a little while as usual.

Here is my two cents.

There are now so many different cars (S, X, 3, Y) with many different configurations (battery generations, MCU1 vs MCU2, APx,...) , that the dev teams have grown and split in different area of expertise.

They each come with a new update with fixes that need being evaluated. Even new features that are on the surface identical might have different dependencies and components to handle).
One exemple I experience is Scheduled Departure still missing the target limit on my car. Might be on the surface a plain scheduling challenge, but I guess it needs to handle the different battery/charger components appropriately to deliver the expected result.

So we see those various versions pushed at the same time to different grouping of cars for a few weeks, and at some point, one major one combining all or most of the other updates in a consolidated version...

Here is my two cents.

There are now so many different cars (S, X, 3, Y) with many different configurations (battery generations, MCU1 vs MCU2, APx,...) , that the dev teams have grown and split in different area of expertise.

They each come with a new update with fixes that need being evaluated. Even new features that are on the surface identical might have different dependencies and components to handle).
One exemple I experience is Scheduled Departure still missing the target limit on my car. Might be on the surface a plain scheduling challenge, but I guess it needs to handle the different battery/charger components appropriately to deliver the expected result.

So we see those various versions pushed at the same time to different grouping of cars for a few weeks, and at some point, one major one combining all or most of the other updates in a consolidated version...

I was noticing the same thing as the OP and I think you are right on. There are more configurations now than ever and testing needs to be done on each config before they are released in mass. So 2020.8.1 might be testing AP1 2020.12.0 might be testing FSD on Model 3, 2020.12.2 might be testing Raven motors, then once all the bugs are out and things are confirmed then everyone jumps to 2020.12.5 or something so there is once again a baseline for all cars like a checkpoint.

Picture this: in an underground lab in Fremont, there is a large electronic display in a mission-control-like room with one lounge chair in the middle. On the display are clouds depicting the Tesla models, battery sizes, MCU and HW versions, domestic vs. international, and for excitement, vehicle color. In the chair is a stoner with a basket of rubber-tipped lawn darts. When developers finish a software update, the number is written on the outside of a pizza box, then carried into the stoner. S/he reads the box, grabs a lawn dart, takes a few tokes, straightens up and tosses the dart onto the screen. That cloud group gets the software. This is the lowest cost version of a random number generator, is COVID-19 social distancing complaint, and the source of all of our updates. Gives thanks unto the stoner when you get an update.