Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fragile top glass and windshield 😠

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's crazy is the amount of people who never had cracked windshields saying their new Tesla car has a cracked window. Doesn't that strike you as a little odd? I've driven about 8 other cars, been in forums for all of them, and not one had multiple threads about windshields cracking from rocks. What is it about Tesla windshields that make them crack so easily?

I believe that most non Tesla people think their cars are ordinary, and that is not unexpected that you could get a crack in their windshields.

For some reason, many owners believe their Tesla is above having mechanical or glass issues, and that any incident drives them to their forum to exclaim their dismay when anything at all goes array.

Where did you get your Tesla windshield replaced?
I had my Tesla S replaced at a Tesla service center. They had one in stock and it was significantly cheaper than the only other place I could find - Tesla certified body shops.

Tesla glass isn’t readily available non-OEM. State Farm has no issue with direct OEM repair - although I had to pay Tesla and State Farm paid me.

The profile of a Tesla is significantly different from other cars I have had in the past. Lower front so less to catch rocks.

I will also note that I’ve heard a significant number of rock hits since I’ve had the car. Broke in year 4.

What's crazy is the amount of people who never had cracked windshields saying their new Tesla car has a cracked window. Doesn't that strike you as a little odd? I've driven about 8 other cars, been in forums for all of them, and not one had multiple threads about windshields cracking from rocks. What is it about Tesla windshields that make them crack so easily?
Nothing. You aren't looking at the right places.

From a BMW site: "This is my 4th car and I've driven on these NYC highways all my life. Never had a cracked windshield before. Rocks or pebbles would just bounce off. Cant believe they're that sensitive."

MB site: "so to sum up... 6 months, 3 windshields. MB, the best or nothing."

Lexus: "Are Lexus windshields more prone to cracking than windshields on other cars? I've had my Lexus for less than a year and I need to have a third windshield replaced!"

Honda: "I had a Kia Rio for 2 years, NEVER cracked my windshield. I just bought a Honda HR-V, and I’ve cracked my window twice in a month. I’ve not moved, nothing has changed."

Nothing. You aren't looking at the right places.

From a BMW site: "This is my 4th car and I've driven on these NYC highways all my life. Never had a cracked windshield before. Rocks or pebbles would just bounce off. Cant believe they're that sensitive."

MB site: "so to sum up... 6 months, 3 windshields. MB, the best or nothing."

Lexus: "Are Lexus windshields more prone to cracking than windshields on other cars? I've had my Lexus for less than a year and I need to have a third windshield replaced!"

Honda: "I had a Kia Rio for 2 years, NEVER cracked my windshield. I just bought a Honda HR-V, and I’ve cracked my window twice in a month. I’ve not moved, nothing has changed."
Great post. People always complain about the car brand, dealer, services. And the post ends with "What a pile of ^&$%. I will never buy another <insert car brand/dealer here>". And yet they buy another <insert car brand/dealer here> vehicle.

I didn't dig deep enough into those forums to look for cracked windshields. Then again, I see this topic come out more and more here vs other forums.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience getting Tesla windshield replaced from 3rd party instead of Tesla? Do we need to get camera recalibrated? Will they do a good job at Tesla service?

I didn't dig deep enough into those forums to look for cracked windshields. Then again, I see this topic come out more and more here vs other forums.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience getting Tesla windshield replaced from 3rd party instead of Tesla? Do we need to get camera recalibrated? Will they do a good job at Tesla service?
The glass comes from Tesla. Some places won't replace it due to the cameras, in any case if you do get a 3rd party to replace it you can set an appt to have the cameras calibrated.

If a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model Y repeats the calibration process. While this helps re-calibrate the cameras in many cases, Clear Calibration may not resolve all camera and sensor concerns.