Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fragile top glass and windshield 😠

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model Y - Unusually fragile windshields? 4th Windshield in 13 months and 18,000 miles. I never had that experience with any other vehicle.
Maybe, but I suspect not. I've gone years (decades?) w/o windshield issues, then will have a rash of them...VWs, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas. In the first 10 days of Tesla MY ownership, a stone hit my windshield, DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME, DRIVER SIDE. Had it repaired ($50), 2 1/2 years later, it's still fine, just a very small spider only visible from the side, and no more issues...44k miles, 20k+ on long road trips, through construction zones, etc.

Reactions: Yelobird
2 full replacements and a repair on a 3rd since October of 2020. I had one replaced windshield on a BMW in my previous 40 years of driving. Same roads, same style of driving. Coincadence?
Purely coincidence. I found threads identical to this one in every major brand’s discussion groups. “I’ve driven twenty different cars over the past 50 years, not a single broken windshield. My BMW/Mercedes/Audi/... has had four broken windshields in the past ten months. Must be weak glass.”

Purely coincidence. I found threads identical to this one in every major brand’s discussion groups. “I’ve driven twenty different cars over the past 50 years, not a single broken windshield. My BMW/Mercedes/Audi/... has had four broken windshields in the past ten months. Must be weak glass.”
LOL, you're right - quick search for "bmw soft glass" and I find an almost identical thread, same whines etc - is the windscreen too soft or am i unlucky

Not correct/wrong in every level of Physics, Fluid Mechanics, and dynamics.

Still waiting 1.5 years later to see your CFD solution.

1684934911045.png

So does this mean your offer to provide an explanation of your (flippant) generalization was a bluff? I am legitimately interested in the science and feel like the underlying hypotheses presented by DanDi58 and others seems reasonable to test. I was sort of hoping you were an expert and could bring something quantitative to the table.
I believe the science formula is Rock = hard, Glass = brittle, Rock wins.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
So does this mean your offer to provide an explanation of your (flippant) generalization was a bluff? I am legitimately interested in the science and feel like the underlying hypotheses presented by DanDi58 and others seems reasonable to test. I was sort of hoping you were an expert and could bring something quantitative to the table.
Flippant or not, I think this discussion would require infinitely more than a simple explanation. You might need to do your own research on this one.