Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Damage on a used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story somewhat truncated:

I love Tesla, I bought a 2014 Model S brand new and could not have been happier (sure the handles broke 5 times but whatever). I was recently in an accident (not at fault in case you care) air bags popped and that means my car was totaled. It was a sad day as that car really represented a lot and had some deep sentential value. My insurance payout was very fair but I am no longer making what I was making in 2014 and it just isn't entirely rational for me to pay over 100k for a new S. I elected to buy used through Tesla. I took delivery on Saturday, took that car to get 3M tints and by Tuesday the car's suspension had broken with my kids in the car. Tesla discovered that the car had been previously repaired and that there was damage to the suspension and the frame. They offered 10k to keep the damaged frame car or a full buy back. While I feel like this is fair, it also feels like the absolute bare minimum. Am I having an emotional response thinking they should offer more?? They did offer a "transfer fee waiver" if I choose another used vehicle but every vehicle avaible currently is more expensive with more miles. I paid 66,600 for a 75D with 7,600 miles. I knew something was probably too good to be true and all those 6's also made me feel a little anxious. There is currently nothing even close to that in their inventory. 69k with 36k miles is as close as I've seen.

I have looked at other cars for over a month and there is just NOTHING I like as much as the Model S. I have a Model 3 as a loaner and I hate it more than I thought I would.

What should I do? Any advice is appreciated.

Straw

Are they being fair with their offer ... in my opinion, yes.

What you might ask is if they would agree to extend the transfer fee waiver for some reasonable period of time, say maybe a couple months, to give you more opportunity to find another vehicle of similar price/age/mileage. They may not, but I would ask politely and see. Worse thing that can happen is they say no.

Tesla is offering to make you whole. Seems to me that your issue is with your ins company, as it is their responsibility to replace your vehicle with a like kind vehicle, even if it now costs more than you paid. Of course I don't know your ins contract, or the rules in your State, but that is what my ins would have to pay.

Long story somewhat truncated:

I love Tesla, I bought a 2014 Model S brand new and could not have been happier (sure the handles broke 5 times but whatever). I was recently in an accident (not at fault in case you care) air bags popped and that means my car was totaled. It was a sad day as that car really represented a lot and had some deep sentential value. My insurance payout was very fair but I am no longer making what I was making in 2014 and it just isn't entirely rational for me to pay over 100k for a new S. I elected to buy used through Tesla. I took delivery on Saturday, took that car to get 3M tints and by Tuesday the car's suspension had broken with my kids in the car. Tesla discovered that the car had been previously repaired and that there was damage to the suspension and the frame. They offered 10k to keep the damaged frame car or a full buy back. While I feel like this is fair, it also feels like the absolute bare minimum. Am I having an emotional response thinking they should offer more?? They did offer a "transfer fee waiver" if I choose another used vehicle but every vehicle avaible currently is more expensive with more miles. I paid 66,600 for a 75D with 7,600 miles. I knew something was probably too good to be true and all those 6's also made me feel a little anxious. There is currently nothing even close to that in their inventory. 69k with 36k miles is as close as I've seen.

I have looked at other cars for over a month and there is just NOTHING I like as much as the Model S. I have a Model 3 as a loaner and I hate it more than I thought I would.

What should I do? Any advice is appreciated.

Straw
No you're not. That sounds like gross negligence on Tesla's part. They endangered the lives of you and your children. Tesla paid a Model S driver $175K for doing this very thing: Tesla was ordered to pay a Model S buyer $175,000 for hiding structural damage on a pre-owned car

Here's another lawsuit:

So sorry you're going through this. I've had nothing but problems so far with my brand new Tesla.