Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2012 P85 with 65k miles and have had almost the exact same repair and customer service experience except even worse. They have had my car for 2 weeks and want $2800 to replace the rear sub frame assembly. My wife was driving the vehicle at 3 mph making a uturn! Unacceptable. I am trying to take it up the ladder but have had no luck. I will be selling this car and telling every know not to buy a Tesla if they won’t stand behind their engineering flaws!

I have a late 2012 P85 with 65k miles and have had almost the exact same repair and customer service experience except even worse. They have had my car for 2 weeks and want $2800 to replace the rear sub frame assembly. My wife was driving the vehicle at 3 mph making a uturn! Unacceptable. I am trying to take it up the ladder but have had no luck. I will be selling this car and telling every know not to buy a Tesla if they won’t stand behind their engineering flaws!

Did you file an NHTSA vehicle complaint?

Yes, but the difference is that "engine mounts" are made with rubber bushings which are designed to move and absorb the severe vibration of thousands of small explosions happening within an ICE. The rubber can and does wear out. These are solid connection points which should be designed to handle the known loads and stresses exerted by the electric motor.

Some might argue that the stresses can be changed by issues with alignment or abuse. There were no such conditions in this case, and as I see it, this has to be caused by either a latent defect in the manufacturing/materials or an engineering failure. In the former case, I may be a one of. In the latter case, I may be the canary in the coalmine. In either case, it seems like a good opportunity for Tesla Service to step up and solve the problem. My view is that if this is a first occurrence, the part should be sent to Freemont for analysis.

Any update on a resolution?

Seeing how i have a P edition, should i be more scared due to the increased torque demands of owning a P.
Is this easy to inspect?
(Meaning most P owners having possession of a lead foot.)

Can i ask them to visually double inspect it without requiring them to pull out too much stuff on my 2nd year maintenance.

Didn't realize this had become a common thing...mine was $3500
DU was replaced within a month of subframe failure ..which some gear lash in reverse is what caused the failure IMO
gently backing up from a slow forward roll popped it.
About i week later I managed to strip the DU gears for a replacement DU. definitely related but this was not warranty covered because it is not part of the DU
IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and croman
Didn't realize this had become a common thing...mine was $3500
DU was replaced within a month of subframe failure ..which some gear lash in reverse is what caused the failure IMO
gently backing up from a slow forward roll popped it.
About i week later I managed to strip the DU gears for a replacement DU. definitely related but this was not warranty covered because it is not part of the DU
View attachment 495629
View attachment 495630
you should probably file this form as well

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Had the same happen 2014 ms P85 56k miles.

Response from tesla after i asked what would cause this
"We have taken the liberty to escalate this concern with our Service Manager and the engineers for Europe. On investigation, we are able to advised there has been no manufacturing defect to cause this issue and the cause is due to torsional motion."

dropped car off 25th july picked up on 13th aug

Subframe replacement

o Parts: £1465.00 GBP(incl VAT)

o Labor: £1252.00 GBP (incl VAT and wheel alignment

You guys are making me nervous. My 2013 P85+ has about 62k miles. I have a lead foot. Hopefully if it breaks the extended warranty will cover it. Did anyone answer the question of wh
You guys are making me nervous. My 2013 P85+ has about 62k miles. I have a lead foot. Hopefully if it breaks the extended warranty will cover it. Did anyone answer the question of whether it's viewable without ripping everything apart?
Not sure if its viewable after removing the aero covers under the car. Extended warranty should cover it . I was more concerned with if it had damaged the drive unit in any way .

the first time I noticed it was at low speeds under 15 mph , transitioning from acceleration to regen and the other way too. there would be a audible clunk/knock and could feel it like a dull this in the rear . I was able to repeat it on demand , so I took a technician at the sc for a spin , he identified it straight away broken mount with drive unit hitting frame.

Not sure if its viewable after removing the aero covers under the car. Extended warranty should cover it . I was more concerned with if it had damaged the drive unit in any way .

the first time I noticed it was at low speeds under 15 mph , transitioning from acceleration to regen and the other way too. there would be a audible clunk/knock and could feel it like a dull this in the rear . I was able to repeat it on demand , so I took a technician at the sc for a spin , he identified it straight away broken mount with drive unit hitting frame.
I have exactly the same symptoms. At first i thought it is drive unit, cause one of my previous units made similar noises before it was replaced. But unfortunately it is subframe mount. 78k miles on the clock.

I thought i have a case of their fault cause i had 2 drive units replaced during 2019. That means frame was unscrewed and tighten up two extra times... but no luck.
i guess i have to man up and pick up this bill

Reactions: rickyjb
I thought i have a case of their fault cause i had 2 drive units replaced during 2019. That means frame was unscrewed and tighten up two extra times... but no luck.
i guess i have to man up and pick up this bill

Either that or take your care to someone that can just weld new mounts on to the sub-frame. Should be a lot cheaper. (Well, I guess ~50% of the cost is labor, and you a lot of shops won't want to mess with dropping the motor and all, but it isn't that big of a deal.)

• Helpful
Reactions: N..8 and croman