Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frameles Window Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used 2020 last week. When I picked it up, I noticed there was some condensation between the window glass and the weatherstripping. It had been raining off and on all afternoon. Fast forward to today and I had the same thing happen after running through a car wash. Absolutely no water is getting inside of the car and simply rolling the windows down and back up again seems to cure the issue. Is this normal behavior that other Model 3 owners see? I've attached a pic for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 122
It's a Tesla message board. Why would I be talking about anything else?

It may actually be normal, but you just can't see it on other cars due to the frames.
::sigh:: Tesla isn’t the only company to employ the use of frameless windows.

This isn’t “normal” by any standards other than Tesla, who I’m sure consider it “within spec”. I hope you did some research on a Tesla ownership before you made your purchase. You’re in for a world of disappointment if you expect things like this to be fixed.

Another example would be opening your trunk after it rains and having water pour into it. All other vehicle manufacturers, who also use trunks, have figured out a solution for this. In 2020, I’m not sure Tesla did, but they said it was “expected behavior”.

The TL: DR to your original question is “no”. Frameless windows are not supposed to exhibit the issue you are seeing.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jo060
::sigh:: Tesla isn’t the only company to employ the use of frameless windows.

This isn’t “normal” by any standards other than Tesla, who I’m sure consider it “within spec”. I hope you did some research on a Tesla ownership before you made your purchase. You’re in for a world of disappointment if you expect things like this to be fixed.

Another example would be opening your trunk after it rains and having water pour into it. All other vehicle manufacturers, who also use trunks, have figured out a solution for this. In 2020, I’m not sure Tesla did, but they said it was “expected behavior”.

The TL: DR to your original question is “no”. Frameless windows are not supposed to exhibit the issue you are seeing.
This is another case of where a claim by can be trivally be proven false. Here's a few seconds of google that finds this is a common occurrence with frameless windows of all brands:

Reactions: rpiotro
This is another case of where a claim by can be trivally be proven false. Here's a few seconds of google that finds this is a common occurrence with frameless windows of all brands:
A “common occurrence” based on a 6 year old thread with a handful of responses on another Internet forum.

Not sure we should close the books on this one just yet.

• Disagree
The OP said, "Is this normal behavior that other Model 3 owners see?" He put it context of the Model 3, not other vehicles. So yes, this is normal behavior that other Model 3 owners see.
It’s not even normal among Tesla owners. It happens to some owners, mostly of older vehicles.

When are people going to stop excusing Tesla’s shoddy assembly practices?

It’s not even normal among Tesla owners. It happens to some owners, mostly of older vehicles.
Here's an example of one that was just delivered 24 hours that has the same thing. It also happens on my 2021. Why do you keep making unsubstantiated claims like this?
Condensation under window
You are sticking with this even though your claim it happens to only to Teslas has already been disproven? Did the BMWs, Minis, and VWs pointed out by my link also use "shoddy assembly practices"?
Here's another thread on the Audi forums:
Moisture in door jambs and on sills - AudiWorld Forums
Dealers don't treat condensation on the seals as a defect, only an actual water leak into the cabin (which Tesla does too).

You have posted nothing to indicate this is something something unusual for frameless doors. At the very least I thought you would have personal experience of another manufacturer replacing your seals when this happened to justify making your claims, but it appears you have no evidence for your claims.

Last edited:

Excuse? Where did I excuse anything?

When are people going to stop assuming things on internet message boards and stop hijacking threads? Are you going to give me another thumbs down because you disagree?