Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frameless door positive seals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't see it mentioned anywhere, but I assume it does. I know the S and X do. To do frameless windows properly, the window really should lower slightly when opening the doors. I know some cars over the years have/had frameless windows and don't lower the window but I think that is usually the exception.

And cue the people complaining about the frameless windows and having them ice up in the winter. I lived in northern climate most of my life in which majority of my cars had frameless windows and sure, a few times it was annoying they iced up and the window couldn't lower but probably could count the number of times on a single hand. Not that big of deal in my opinion.

I had two 300ZXs in the nineties and swore off frameless door ever again. The windows didn't move on their own but it didn't made a difference whenever it rained for prolonged periods, they leaked. Not just from the t-top but the a and b pillars.

Last edited:
I had two 300ZXs in the nineties and swore off frameless door ever again. The windows didn't move on their own but it didn't made a difference whenever it rained for prolonged periods, they leaked. Not just from the t-top but the a and b pillars.
Can't say I've ever heard any Tesla owners complain about leaking through the window seals. My last 3 Audis over the past 15 years has never had leaks, but they lower the window slightly.

And cue the people complaining about the frameless windows and having them ice up in the winter. I lived in northern climate most of my life in which majority of my cars had frameless windows and sure, a few times it was annoying they iced up and the window couldn't lower but probably could count the number of times on a single hand. Not that big of deal in my opinion.

For the record, my Model S is parked in a heated garage at home AND at work... and I've experienced frozen windows (bead of snow melting at the bottom of the window, where the glass meets the rubber seal) at least 10 times in my ~2.5years of ownership. So it might be an issue with cars that are always in heated garages and sometime park outside (groceries and such) but it's really annoying.

I live ~20 mi North of Montreal, in Québec, Canada so we get a good 2mo before and after winter with lots of freezing rain and other crappy weather (rain turning to snow and back to rain).

If there are problems with sticking windows, perhaps this product will help:
Amazon.com: nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive
When you car gets covered in ice like this, not sure if that will help much.:p (not my car, but have experienced like this before)

Frameless windows or not, that's not going to make much difference when you can barely open the door itself.
unknown.jpeg

The mechanism works fine in my 2005 Ford Mustang, and I bought it new. Window pops down a little when the door latch activates and pops back up when the door closes. I assume the Model 3 is the same. The only problems I ever had was when the battery died and the window stayed down. Obviously less of an issue in essentially a driveable battery.

Currently both our cars have frameless (2010 Mini and 2016 Beetle). I hate them on both. Mini itself haven't had any problems, Beetle has although that was only during the Seattle rainy season. They haven't failed during the summer, so will see if they fail when the rains start again.

When you car gets covered in ice like this, not sure if that will help much.:p (not my car, but have experienced like this before)

Frameless windows or not, that's not going to make much difference when you can barely open the door itself.
unknown.jpeg
My Model S has been iced up like that, and it's not been a problem. I do preheat though. I've also left the pano open 15% and the windows slightly open by mistake and it's rained--barely any water gets inside. The seals appear to be very good.

Reactions: jas

That was a pretty common 300ZX complaint. That's my favorite car. Sort of like the equivalent of if I were 20 years older and dreamed of a late 60s muscle car. Hope to acquire and restore a 300ZX one day.

I had a BMW 3 series coupe with those frameless doors. It always worried me, but it never really became an issue. I think it did get stuck and not go down like normal once, but I don't remember any damage occurring because of it. Of course, I don't live in an area that gets below the teens.