Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FrankenCharging at my parent's Will it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
efusco: How fast do you drive on average when you drive up there? Are there any public charging stations close to your parent's house (30A J1772) or RV parks? For a 240 mile round trip, you wouldn't need that long on a 110V outlet and only an hour on a 30A station to get you back home if you didn't drive more than 65mph and did a range charge. In a few years this might be more difficult though as range decreases.

Hi Evan, you don't mention which car you have - 60 or 85 kWh Pack. You also don't mention if there are no Places to charge along the way, or even slightly out of the way between you and them - as seen via PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! - which would eliminate a lot of this fussing with crazy adapters! Obviously - doing a 'Range' Charge would be of prime importance with either car pack!

Using PlugShare - and you home town - I zoomed in to your spot - and then back out - so see the area: There are a few directions out from Nixa that have L2 Chargers - like Springfield, Table Rock Lake, Joplin, Lamar, Rolla, Osage Beach, etc. that could be selected along which ever way you are traveling, and give you the extra bit you need, so you can just use a simple 120V connector without all this fuss!

Hi Evan, you don't mention which car you have - 60 or 85 kWh Pack. You also don't mention if there are no Places to charge along the way, or even slightly out of the way between you and them - as seen via PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! - which would eliminate a lot of this fussing with crazy adapters! Obviously - doing a 'Range' Charge would be of prime importance with either car pack!

Using PlugShare - and you home town - I zoomed in to your spot - and then back out - so see the area: There are a few directions out from Nixa that have L2 Chargers - like Springfield, Table Rock Lake, Joplin, Lamar, Rolla, Osage Beach, etc. that could be selected along which ever way you are traveling, and give you the extra bit you need, so you can just use a simple 120V connector without all this fuss!
Not sure how you came across this thread, it is a year or more old (have to look at the date). My car's specs are in my signature, but maybe aren't visible if you're using an app on a tablet or iPhone or something. I have 30,000 miles on my S now and have travelled all over the state of Missouri and Arkansas and probably listed half of the charging places you identified in the plugshare site. In any case, I have been able to charge at my parent's place successfully using a 24amp dryer outlet and an adapter I purchased...it was a bit slow, but more than I needed to top up over night. Thanks for your input though.