Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Franklymade's Center Console insert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone i'm sharing my center console insert design for the Tesla Model S.
The photos are of the prototype I built,renderings to fallow
will be made of the same materials at the car ABC wood plastics and leather.
the production model will have 2 usb ports and 12V outlets and coin holder.
IMG_3843.jpg
tesla 1.jpg

Hi there not sure working on pricing
But hope to be at $1400 or so
I will have a website up soon
Hauptburg.com

IIRC, You've alternated between saying you were building this and someone else was. Is it your product or someone else?

Also, I would take note of the general feeling of Soflauthor's CCI being a bit on the pricey side. From these early pics his is much more refined and at least $300 cheaper.

Going to give honest feedback here - I don't like the design. FWIW I don't like Soflauthor's design either. I also would never pay more than a few hundred for ANY center console, including Soflauthor's, regardless of the quality. It's not that I don't have that kind of money. I do. But I'm smart with it. I don't just throw it away. If something is going to cost more than $500, it better start doing a lot more than having just a cup holder and tray. People need to start thinking outside the box. Now, if the center console had an espresso maker and an integrated xbox360 or ps3 that hooked up to the touchscreen...that may be something worth spending $600-$700 max on. But certainly no more than that. A cup holder and tray by no means warrants $1000+ pricing. You've got to be dirt rich or just plain old out of your mind to throw away money like that. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm being real, as a real person, who would spend read hard earned money, but it would only be on something that actually adds real value.

I think that AnOutsider and yobigd20 make some valid points, when taken together. Soflauthor's console is apparently of the highest quality, but offers only a modest solution to a storage/cupholder problem that bothers some of us. A number of people have tried to impose their value judgements (in other threads) upon us who want more storage and better cupholders, but that not withstanding, I feel that I need more storage (and a second functional cupholder) than Sflauthor offers (for a premium price). Franklymade, seems to at least offer two cupholders (though apparently smaller) and some additonal space, but with what appeard to be less "polish", and for an even higher price.

I think that we need something that offers better value, that is more function per dollar.

Thant having been said, I think that we should all appreciate the efforts of Soflauthor, Franklymade (and FlyYellow) for bringing alternatives to the free market, which will ultimately decide. (as it should be)

Last edited:
All good efforts, but I'd rather see what Tesla comes up with for these asking prices. And frankly I don't mind all the open space. I put a small box under for little stuff, other stuff can go in the glove box, wallet and cellphone go in the cubby under the screen. Yea the cupholders are a little far back, but that's ok with me. I'd rather find a good simple inexpensive (but good looking) solution for cupholders in the back.

I prefer Frankly made's design ... I like the cable rerouting if that's what you've done. Right now, especially when driving, I cannot see my USB stick(s). i would much sooner they be underneath the screen. Easy to get at.
And the cup holders where they are are IN my armrest. I want them lower.
But I also want the height to be much higher. An extension of the bottom of the screen.
As for price, my opinion, outrageously high. Both products. Not trying to insult you. Being realistic. I would never pay more than $500 for this.

Thank you all for your candid and honest comments. The photos posted illustrate a rough mock-up, made for determining mass, proportion, functionality, etc. The final product will have appropriate materials and fit and finish. Presently, we are working on mechanical drawings to work out the tooling. Perhaps we can share some of those images when complete.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to give honest feedback here - I don't like the design. FWIW I don't like Soflauthor's design either. I also would never pay more than a few hundred for ANY center console, including Soflauthor's, regardless of the quality. It's not that I don't have that kind of money. I do. But I'm smart with it. I don't just throw it away. If something is going to cost more than $500, it better start doing a lot more than having just a cup holder and tray. People need to start thinking outside the box. Now, if the center console had an espresso maker and an integrated xbox360 or ps3 that hooked up to the touchscreen...that may be something worth spending $600-$700 max on. But certainly no more than that. A cup holder and tray by no means warrants $1000+ pricing. You've got to be dirt rich or just plain old out of your mind to throw away money like that. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm being real, as a real person, who would spend read hard earned money, but it would only be on something that actually adds real value.

MUCH better cupholder setup, and nice storage as well. I still think you should come down on the price, especially if there's no leather involved, but this rendering is at least more deserving than the mock.

My two cents on the center consoles... I do think this is the most promising design so far but like others I am not going to pay much for a cup holder no matter how well designed.

+1 for the USB ports though, good idea

FWIW, here is what I *would* pay $1000 for in a center console to maybe consider for v2:

a) Refrigerated compartment (I think Ford now offers something like this as an option on its gas guzzling SUV)
b) Locking, well hidden secret compartment for storing cash, etc.
c) integrated smartphone dock (preferably with multiple options for different type of smartphones)
d) Cup warmer/cooler to keep hot beverages hot, cold beverages cold
e) 120VAC outlet (maybe too hard to do wiring though)
f) a separate compartment with fully stocked emergency tool/survival/firt aid kit (would be impressive if kit was designed to fit and used space very efficiently in a way that I could not do myself)

Good luck, love to see stuff like this whether or not I buy