Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Franz von Holzhausen interview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the Model S range jump from 160 to 200+ battery package is done with an increase in cell count but the jump to 300 is by using different type of cells.

I had wondered about the weight changes with handling and suspension setup.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Model S range jump from 160 to 200+ battery package is done with an increase in cell count but the jump to 300 is by using different type of cells.

I had wondered about the weight changes with handling and suspension setup.

Which makes me believe that the incremental cost to go to the 300mi pack is going to be huge compared to the jump from 160-230. I know, long time to see what's what, but it's looking more and more like 230 is the way I'll need to go.

Thanks for sharing the video. Good to hear a little of the engineering perspective as well, from Tesla's designer.
For the most part a good interview, but there are a few things that I find a bit off about it.

Franz is out of his element when discussing charging (which I also found in the interview I did with him), and I'm not quite sure what he means by the term "normally aspirated".

"We just want to ... get people moving off of normally aspirated powertrain"

I'm sure he means something more than all we have to do is add forced induction. I do appreciate that Franz points out he's a designer and not an engineer.

The other thing off about the video, is that the interviewer does a little commercial for HHO, hydrogen on demand, and tries to equate it's goals with that of Tesla/EVs. As far as I can tell, the proponents of HHO are at best confused and at worst scam artists.

This is exactly right. They aren't yet saying what the new cells are, though. Likely pending the results from testing and subject to change.

Last edited:
I think he does a much better interview than Elon does. They should put him out there more often. He is much more personable and revserved. Nothing new on the batteries they have been saying all along that the 230 mile pack is a bigger 160 and the 300 is a different battery type. Good info and well spoken but nothing really new.

I quite sure the "normally aspirated" comment just refered to a conventional ICE as opposed to alternative energy plants like the BEV. Wouldn't read any more or less into it than that.

I agree that that's how he's using the term, but that's not what it means. Your typical Audi A4 has a turbocharger, so that car by definition is not normally aspirated but of course has a "conventional ICE". Again, he's not an engineer, so maybe gets a bit of a pass, but I wish he'd use a different term.

Last edited:
I'd give him a BIG pass. 7 months ago he knew nothing. Now he is supposed to speak for the leading manufacture of EV technology? He is an artist that can design a beautiful car.

If you listen he is just using buzzword phrases that he hears at the office. :smile:

Last edited:
I'd give him a BIG pass. 7 months ago he knew nothing. Now he is supposed to speak for the leading manufacture of EV technology? He is am artist that can design a beautiful car.

If you listen he is just using buzzword phrases that he hears at the office. :smile:

As would I. You could tell he stumbled on a few terms, but overall very good interview.

I'd give him a BIG pass. 7 months ago he knew nothing. Now he is supposed to speak for the leading manufacture of EV technology? He is an artist that can design a beautiful car.

+1, an impromptu interview by a guy of questionable journalistic skills with a guy with minimal engineering knowledge. I'm not sure the "journalist" even knew what Franz's job is.

First of all, thank you for reposting the interview here in this forum. Franz is a very good spokesperson for Tesla. I agree they should put him out there much more often.

Yes I did confuse Franz's job title. I am preprogrammed to translate anything title that starts with Design into Design Engineer. My bad.

And yes, I am a proponent of HHO. I am not ashamed of it because we are, in fact, beginning to see results from our work. Dennis Lee, true to form, tried to cash in on a technology that is CLEARLY not ready for prime time. It is he that turned what otherwise would still be regarded as an experiment into a scam, giving the rest of us who are sincere in our quest a much undeserved black eye.

We're a long way away from blister packs hanging on pegs at your local Pep Boys. Anyone that sells HHO products and makes ANY blanket mileage claims for it is a scam artist. Period, the end.

Best,
Z

Last edited: