Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freak accident in St Louis... RIP fellow member..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that is terrible. At least it was fast/instant for her, but what an awful tragedy. I imagine the driver of that white car will be traumatized for life as well. Just sad.

Agree with Gary, ridiculous that a 1 ton hunk of the bridge can be dislodged so easily and send careening below.

Yes, I saw that. Just seems like something wrong that a huge block should be knocked loose.

Yes, what was wrong was another car hitting the bridge. There is no evidence the bridge or structure was unsound prior to the collision. How someone loses control so badly after a turn is beyond me. At least lay off the accelerator and you'll make a bad situation better. Some people just react poorly in bad situations and slam on the accelerator (then blame Tesla/manufacturer).

My condolences to the family. According to many news articles, there seems to be only two types of vehicles: 1) Tesla's (the only car specifically named and 2) everything else (e.g., White SUV, but not OJ's).

Interestingly, human construction is not always as stable as it seems. I know first hand about a series of 90-ton concrete bridge I-beams that were LITERALLY blown over like dominoes in an overnight wind storm. A semi crashed into the I-beams that had fallen from the overpass construction onto the travel surface below. Apparently, the engineers constructing the overpass bridge didn't see a need to "stabilize" the 90-ton I-beams prior to adding the overpass' bridge surface.

The state of a large amount of highway infrastructure in the USA, especially in the Rust Belt, is appalling.

I drive 100 miles round trip daily and can see what is new and maintained, and what is crumbling. Whether or not deterioration contributed to this, I don’t know.

Very sad.

In past decades the idea of trying to make bridges beautiful to look at also made them less safe for this situation.

However, we all know that it was not the bridge's fault. The fault in this accident is that the Tesla Driver was using AutoPilot and stats show she had been warned multiple times prior to the accident to exert resistance to the Auto Steering.

• Disagree
Reactions: David29 and ICUDoc
Never good to read such information.

Btw the pages are inaccessible from Europe:

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 314-340-8888.

I sent a family member that works in downtown St Loius this article, and will suggest they avoid going under this bridge..
Why? Is there something unsafe about that bridge? Accidents happen. On average 100 people lose their lives every single day in the USA, it doesn't means those 100 spots (100 more each day) are any more dangerous than other places? If this was a recurring event, then I'd see your point, but statistically speaking, I don't think there is much higher chance of dying under that bridge than on other roads in the city.

Emergency personnel work the scene of an accident on Forest Park Parkway in St. Louis that left one person dead on Monday, July 23, 2018. The driver of a white sedan making a turn onto Lindell Boulevard reportedly lost control and struck a concrete barrier, sending a piece of concrete weighing at least a ton onto a car traveling below on Forest Park Parkway. The driver of the vehicle on Forest Park Parkway was killed. Photo by Cristina M. Fletes, [email protected].

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-25_7-53-36.png
    upload_2018-7-25_7-53-36.png
    68 bytes · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: JoaoD