Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freak road event: Stick speared my bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I'm glad you were okay and it didn't do more damage. I had a similarly strange incident last year with a landscaping truck dropping a pitchfork on the road and the car in front of me ran over it, kicked it up, and shot it into the front end of my car.

Surprisingly, my damage was minimal also. Hope the repair is quick for you.

Judging by the picture and the location of the puncture, wonder if this could be covered up by the license plate holder (i.e. if you don't mind going the less expensive route by not replacing the bumper + paint job)

I thought about that as well, but I think the license plate holder may be worse than the hole:). I think it can be repaired without replacing the bumper. I found a local shop that can do it but I need to have them check the damage first. That happens tomorrow am.

Given all the stories in this thread I consider myself lucky.

Last edited:
I thought about that as well, but I think the license plate holder may be worse than the hole:). I think it can be repaired without replacing the bumper. I found a local shop that can do it but I need to have them check the damage first. That happens tomorrow am.

I would suggest checking on the price to just replace the bumper cover too. Last I checked, Tesla had lowered the price considerably (like $350 for the bumper cover + painting).

Mike

Can anyone explain to me how freaking mentally impaired do you have to be to put loose wood, sofas, and mattresses in the back of your car? It is my biggest pet peeve on the road and seeing this wood spear in the face of a Tesla just sent me into the rage. Testosterone pellets be damned!
Years ago, while jogging on a road shoulder, a stake-bed truck passed me carrying a large load of unsecured cinder blocks. Just as it passed, one flew off and exploded on the ground about 8 inches from my foot.
Clearly, some folks either don't think or don't care.

Years ago, while jogging on a road shoulder, a stake-bed truck passed me carrying a large load of unsecured cinder blocks. Just as it passed, one flew off and exploded on the ground about 8 inches from my foot.
Clearly, some folks either don't think or don't care.
The ones that scare me are flatbed trucks carrying basketball sized rocks with no tarp, sides or anything to keep them on the truck bed.

In 2016 I heard of two women transporting a mattress on top of a van, with one of them attempting to hold it on the roof with her body weight. Once they got onto the highway, mattress slipped off, woman died.

Never underestimate people's inability to predict even the most obvious consequences.

I blame cartoon physics. It's why we see so many people in online videos doing things that can only end badly. They got their ideas about Newtonian physics from cartoons...

Please share the estimate for repair when you have it. Last time I looked into it, cost was essentially identical to have a shop repair the bumper covers vs buy a new one + paint it...

I noticed my truck spare tire missing one day. The kind that hangs under the bed on a cable/winch.

To this day, I hope it was stolen and not a freak accident where the cable broke while I was driving.

An old Astro minivan dropped one in front of me on the freeway a decade or so ago, when I was driving an ancient Mercedes diesel. I tried to straddle it - it turns out that the oil pan is the lowest part of that car, and about two inches lower than the spare was thick. That was fun. :-/