Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freak road event: Stick speared my bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my truck spare tire missing one day. The kind that hangs under the bed on a cable/winch.

To this day, I hope it was stolen and not a freak accident where the cable broke while I was driving.
Oh my gosh, all this time I was wondering how brkaus's truck tire ended up embedded in my bathroom mirror. I just thought you didn't like my videos.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Skipdd
This is scary. Glad it hit low. Avoided a mattress in the right lane of I95 S on Sunday. I like the Kevlar idea. Even better how about a wrap made of the same material as the Black Panther's suit... Have to drive down I81 later this week - truckers' row. Since it's only 2 lanes there aren't a lot of options.

An old Astro minivan dropped one in front of me on the freeway a decade or so ago, when I was driving an ancient Mercedes diesel. I tried to straddle it - it turns out that the oil pan is the lowest part of that car, and about two inches lower than the spare was thick. That was fun. :-/

I don't even know which button to push to that response. There needs to be "ouch" next to dislike.

Oh my gosh, all this time I was wondering how brkaus's truck tire ended up embedded in my bathroom mirror. I just thought you didn't like my videos.

I do watch the videos - like to see others experience. I'm just not smart enough to not watch the same one over and over if it is in a different thread. I don't figure it out until the credits roll at the end.

But now I know, you stole my tire and hid it behind your mirror :)

I was behind a semi truck one day and half of one of his brake drums came bouncing down the freeway at me. I couldn't swerve much due to cars on either side of me, but I did manage to hit it with the passenger-side tires instead of the radiator or windshield. It instantly blew out both right-side tires. The car (2009 Dodge Charger) handled surprisingly well. I didn't hit the brakes, and gently coasted/ground my way to the right shoulder. Two new wheels and tires and a bit of cosmetic damage to the rocker panel were all that needed fixing.

Just got the estimate: $828. That’s for a repair to the hole, painting, and the like. A new bumper won’t be needed.

That is a decent repair estimate. I would still double-check with your local service center and ask them what can be done. Being a custom 3rd-party bumper for an original nose-cone/pre-refreshed car, it's doubtful there is much they can do for you. Worth asking though.

Further below is my Tesla-authorized shop estimate to repair a tiny dent caused from a 2-inch bolt.
20180228_110006.jpg

Your estimate of $828 seems to be in line. If what @MP3Mike says above is accurate, you may be able to cut your expense almost in half. But again, as noted, your bumper is not OEM. So that is likely not an option.

Excluding the quoted Xpel redo included in my estimate ($773.50 + tax), the final price to replace my front-bumper was $3,764.59! :confused:. That was to completely replace the bumper. The "lower" estimate to repair the existing bumper was still $3,358. I went a different route and for a total of about $200 (labor for the Xpel), everything was made good as new.

Estimate.jpg

All the best to you in getting that hole patched up.

Last edited:
That is a decent repair estimate. I would still double-check with your local service center and ask them what can be done. Being a custom 3rd-party bumper for an original nose-cone/pre-refreshed car, it's doubtful there is much they can do for you. Worth asking though.

Further below is my Tesla-authorized shop estimate to repair a tiny dent caused from a 2-inch bolt.
View attachment 283446

Your estimate of $828 seems to be in line. If what @MP3Mike says above is accurate, you may be able to cut your expense almost in half. But again, as noted, your bumper is not OEM. So that is likely not an option.

Excluding the quoted Xpel redo included in my estimate ($773.50 + tax), the final price to replace my front-bumper was $3,764.59! :confused:. That was to completely replace the bumper. The "lower" estimate to repair the existing bumper was still $3,358. I went a different route and for a total of about $200 (labor for the Xpel), everything was made good as new.

View attachment 283445

All the best to you in getting that hole patched up.

Actually the bumper is OEM. I managed to work with a shop that found a way to install it on my nosecone car. Lot's of custom work to do that.

Your Tesla authorized shop estimate is why I would never go to an authorized shop for the minor cosmetic stuff any decent shop can do. Major damage is a whole other story but this kind of minor damage can balloon into a major expense in the hands of an Tesla authorized body shop. I don't know why. Tesla can't dictate what they should charge. Perhaps it's because they think all we Tesla owners are rolling in dough.

I was quoted approx $2k for new bumper from the local authorized shops. A good 3rd party local shop quoted me $500 for paint, prep and install (+the ~$325 part cost). They quoted me $900 for repair.

So, if your mods can accommodate a stock new bumper cover I might still go that route as the cost is the same as repair...

Artsic - glad your ok

to expand a little on what Artsic said...
Body work to a Tesla can be done by any body shop of your choosing as long as it DOES NOT involve aluminum parts or frame. (as they can't buy the aluminum parts)
once Aluminum work is involved, you need to take it to a Tesla Approved Shop.