TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

freaking egg tossers!!!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tomas, Jun 6, 2014.

1. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

A couple of weeks ago, at a charity event no less, a whole row of cars - including mine - were egged. Even though I left event at ~11:30 pm, I found a self service car wash that was open and cleaned it up. Did it again twice in the light of day the next day. Unfortunately, the egg shells penetrated through the paint, and there are 5 little egg shaped scars. Not easy to see if you are not looking for them, but of course it drives me crazy because I know EXACTLY where they are.

This is one of those things that does not merit repainting one side of the car, but it would be nice to fix.

Does anyone have experience with minor touch up like this? If so, can you give me advice? Each egg impact point has maybe 15 or 20 tiny (less than 1 mm) pits that cannot be polished out. I have a paint pen from Tesla, but not sure that will help as the tip is huge compared to the pits in the paint. There are about a thousand youtube videos on how to do pebbles, scratches, etc..., but nothing I've found that addresses tiny pits like this.

Any help or advice by either post or PM GREATLY appreciated!!!!

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

If they're truly pits you can't remove (I'm really surprised something as fragile as an egg shell would do that), check out Dr Colorchip. My previous car had huge fender flares that would get pelted by rocks thrown up by the ultra sticky front tires. It looked bad. Now you can't even tell unless you're closer than a foot. Essentially you wipe paint into the pits, let it partially dry, then lightly wipe the excess off the surface. This fills the holes without crazy blobs of paint. There also Langka, but my impression is that it's better suited to larger chips.

Repainting's kind of a last resort, though. Maybe it's time to stop by a profession for an estimate.

3. tomas

Unfortunately egg shells from side are brittle but in cross section are extremely strong and sharp. I'm learning stuff I never knew about eggs. Dr colorchip looks like a simple cosmetic fix but they don't have tesla colors. I guess I'll call and see if they can concoct. Thx.

4. stsanford

stsanford Member

I thought I was losing my mind. I had the same thing, washed it off in under an hour from the egg hitting the rear door on the driver's side. I now have a circular area with lots of little pits. It drives me crazy... A**holes... I mean, WTF, seriously... I am so made, I was thinking of langka, but I've never had a good result with it in the past.

5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Just out of curiosity, did either of you have opticoat or any other aftermarket paint protector?

6. gnelson

gnelson Member

I feel badly that your car was egged.

7. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Ask your local area premium car dealer where they take it to correct little paint scrapes and chips on lease returns. The reason all the lease returns look perfect is because they have been worked on.

Not very expensive. I recently had several 2x1 inch paint scrapes (paint completely removed down to the black bumper) on the bumper fixed for $375 from a little shop that services local premium dealer lease returns.

Same guy fixed a quarter size paint chip on a Mercedes hood for $75.

Its spraying paint with a much smaller tool. Guy that did mine has 30 year experience and mixes his own paint... Can't find the blemish afterwards.

8. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Had this happen to my 1993 Chevy Pickup several times. 21 years later the paint still looks great except for the areas hit by the eggs. They do significant damage to the paint. Mine had damage to the primer

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Makes a good case for having paint armour on every painted surface.

10. tomas

#10 tomas, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    I'm totally with you on spray touch up for plastic bumpers... that's the only reasonable approach. But for metal, which is where my egg marks are, those spray touch-ups are not so hot... but I am going to go to a body shop and see what they say. Also in touch with Dr. Colorchip to see if they have Tesla colors... website does not list Tesla. I have read up on them, and they are clearly a cosmetic option... doesn't really fill the pit, but colors it enough that it will be much less detectable.

Dr. Colorchip said "send us tesla paint pen and we'll match it." Whereas, with Langka, you can use the Tesla paint... I've changed course and ordered Lanka. Will try on one mark, and post pics of results. It would be good to know there's a viable self touch-up option.

11. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Just FYI, its not spray can touch up paint. These guys have their own equipment and mixes their own paint but I don't know more details other than they spray it with some fine spray equipment. Anyhow, their goal is to make lease returns look perfect for resale and much cheaper than body shops. Usually not very known because very small shop and cater mainly to luxury dealers.

On my car, he fixed both bumper and fender scrapes. On the Mercedes, it was the metal hood.

12. mg012

mg012 Member

I have a very small scrape on the lowest point of the front air dam that needs touch up. I was curious about DR Colorchip, so I checked out their website. They don't list Tesla but there is a button to click "if your make and model is not listed". It gives you guidelines where to find your paint code. I found a sticker on the lower inside of the driver's door jam, that mostly has information about the wheels and tires, but in the lower left corner of the sticker is has: PNT: PPMR Since my color is Multicoat Red, I think that is my car's color code. So, I sent that in to Dr Colorchip with an order for a small kit. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
    michael

13. stsanford

stsanford Member

No, I didn't. I was under the impression that the opti coat covers the front of the car. Not the sides.... If it does and I had known, I would have most definitely invested... Grrr..

14. AlMc

Sorry. Just wondered IF you had it and still had the issue. Again, sorry for your trouble.

15. tomas

I did have protectant. Just re applied 1 month ago. Don't think anything but wrap would help against egg. They are sharp!

16. AlMc

Gotcha. Thanks, and sorry for your egg issues!

17. tomas

Just to close out this sorry episode: I experimented with Tesla touch up pen, Lanka system, and Dr. Colorchip. Dr. Colorchip was far and away most effective, though nothing totally fills a small scratch or pit, and it always shows a little - particularly on dark colors like my brown. After I did the best I could, I had paint correction and whole car wrapped with Suntek film. Not just because of the eggs... but a couple of fender scratches in filmed areas convinced me that any 100k car with soft paint really must be filmed!!! The fact you can have a significant scrape against a boulder wall and then just peel it away without damage to underlying paint... priceless!

It also turned out that the paint protection film pretty much hid the remaining evidence of the eggs, so you'd have to look hard and know exactly where the marks were to find them. It was my experience that the film helped hide some damage (e.g., eggs), but magnified some other scratches and nicks I had.

Lesson learned for me... Paint correction and protection film immediately after purchase. 2 years later is sub optimal, but better late than never. Brown MS now looks like a piece of chocolate candy... better than at deliver.

18. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Car vandals should be executed at dawn...no last meal...no last cigarette...

19. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Sorry for your egg issues!

20. scole04

scole04 Member

That sucks. My older car was egged on Halloween so now I wrap all of my cars. Sorry to hear that.