Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 1 year supercharging on all M3 for rest of September 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was thinking about going back to rwd since they cancelled my performance delivery without any timeframe as to when it would be rescheduled. I think it would be fair if they let me switch back granted i just sold both my cars and now have to borrow or rent for an unspecified period of time which just blows. That would also free up some funds to solve my hot water slab leak that is going to cost me a bundle. When it rains it pours!

If you supercharge 100% of the time, does that not damage the long term life of the battery. Assuming you keep it "long enough" as an owner. Will you also get reduced power for the Performance models once the secret counter has been hit?

If you supercharge 100% of the time, does that not damage the long term life of the battery. Assuming you keep it "long enough" as an owner. Will you also get reduced power for the Performance models once the secret counter has been hit?
In theory yes.

But prob won’t keep the car long enough to make much of a difference. Plus not charging to 100% so it won’t hurt that much.

I'd be more concerned about supercharging to 100% regularly than 100% charging via the HPWC since the primary pain to a battery is temperature and high voltage. In a supercharge environment you'll be causing both. Without getting into the technical characteristics (lithium plating etc.), you'll simply be stressing the pack more in a supercharge than a regular home charge.

The other thing that doesn't occur during a supercharge is pack balancing. Overtime the cells in a pack will degrade a different rates primarily caused by temperature differentials among them (obviously the ones closest to the intake coolant lines will degrade slower than the ones further from on the return lane). Most battery cooling designs I've seen will result in some type of differential necessitating battery balancing.

This doesn't happen very well in a supercharge environment since pack balancing is rather time consuming (in the span of many hours) and works best at a low charge rate. Its also why its recommended to charge your car to 100% about once every few months at a slow rate to maximize your pack capacity (which allows the BMS to balance the pack).

Here's some additional details if you're interested:
Fast and Ultra-fast Chargers - Battery University
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

There are a couple of passionate threads on the secret counter which I think was Model S performance models. Tesla secretly decreased power once you had so many Supercharger or fast charging sessions. Folks complained and Tesla reversed them I think but best to check out those threads. May not be applicable for M3.

Or you could do what normal people do, i.e. move to Texas. :)
Before: $0.32/kWh with PGE
After: $0.08/kWh with random independent utility (not the cheapest in the area)

While the price per kWh is less in TX than CA, the annual electricity expense per home is almost double in TX.

Per eia.gov, here are the average household annual electricity expenses in the two states.
TX: About $1,800 per year ("among the highest in the nation")
CA: About $1,000
This is because an average TX home consumes 26% more electricity than national average whereas a CA home consumes about 35% less than national average.

While the price per kWh is less in TX than CA, the annual electricity expense per home is almost double in TX.

Per eia.gov, here are the average household annual electricity expenses in the two states.
This is because an average TX home consumes 26% more electricity than national average whereas a CA home consumes about 35% less than national average.
I dunno I have a large solar system and expect to spend over 2k on power for my very modest size house and I was only charging the volt for a few months. We have the most expensive power in the US I think. It adds up quick at over 50 cents per Kwh! Must be allathe people in apartments and condos that offset the cost.

I know that feeling...I've spent $100k on home repairs over the past 3 years due to plumbing issues....

100k damn! That is insane! I hope your insurance covered most of that. Pex or Copper Issues?

Last edited:

Why does TX use that much more electricity?

I dunno I have a large solar system and expect to spend over 2k on power for my very modest size house and I was only charging the volt for a few months. We have the most expensive power in the US I think. It adds up quick at over 50 cents per Kwh! Must be allathe people in apartments and condos that offset the cost.

Wow! 50 cents per kWh and $2K on top of solar sounds insanely high. What kind'a herbs are you growing? ;)
Those govt. stats I referenced are from 2009. So those numbers are probably not typical for EV households like ours. And you are right, apartments and condos may skew what a household means.

Yes, CA rates are pretty high. I think Hawaii beats us by a huge margin. Still CA is among highest 5-6 states.

We are lucky to have a good utility company where I live. We have one 100% EV car and a plug-in hybrid. Our usage in 2017 was about 8500 kWh (we only drive about 10-12K miles per year both cars combined). Our 2017 electricity bill was about $1360. With tiered pricing, we paid about half our usage at 12.8c and the other half at 19c per kWh. Not too bad considering that 100% of their power source is carbon free.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Air conditioning. From what I read in those publications, almost all TX homes have air-conditioning, but only 40% of CA homes do.
Economically I think i may have had cheaper fuel/charging by sticking with the Chevy volt than i will charging the 3. But maybe not. With three volt I may have been able to stay in so tired plan.

I switched to tou and sold the volt a day after they finally switched me over... looking like about $300-400 a month this time of year. but charging will be cheap once i get the 3. most expensive bill so far was $400 plus the $240 for the solar loan I'm paying off, but lots of customers were hit with paying over $1000. had to run the AC because it was over 100 for like 3 weeks straight and sdge started charging crazy overages this year.

rates are going to go up another 11 to 28% soon too!

Last edited:
I switched to tou and sold the volt a day after they finally switched me over... looking like about $300-400 a month this time of year. but charging will be cheap once i get the 3. most expensive bill so far was $400 plus the $240 for the solar loan I'm paying off, but lots of customers were hit with paying over $1000. had to run the AC because it was over 100 for like 3 weeks straight and sdge started charging crazy overages this year.

rates are going to go up another 11 to 28% soon too!

Dang! I assume Escondido is served by SDG&E. I looked up their site because I didn't really want to believe the 50c rate you mentioned. Unfortunately, you were right. I don't understand how power could be so much cheaper for me than it is for you. And my utility company has a lot less buying power (serving just 25K households) than SDGE. Something is up with SDGE.

Reactions: Glamisduner
100k damn! That is insane! I hope your insurance covered most of that. Pex or Copper Issues?

To be fair, about $55k of that was required Kitchen remodel (due to all the plumbing issues) that I did afterwards :p.

My home was built in '65, plumbing issues started in 2014 (so just about 50 years, expected life of a cast iron pipe). Spent $24k new sewer pipes, $8k on an low balled new copper supply pipes (4 leaks in 1 year from 2008 copper pipes!!!), and various small plumbing expenses here and there (water jet etc.). I think I have like 20-30+ visits from plumbers over the past 5 years....my home is cursed. Oh, after all that, I still found even more roots :mad:. Oy vey.

My home was built in '65, plumbing issues started in 2014 (so just about 50 years, expected life of a cast iron pipe). Spent $24k new sewer pipes, $8k on an low balled new copper supply pipes (4 leaks in 1 year from 2008 copper pipes!!!), and various small plumbing expenses here and there (water jet etc.). I think I have like 20-30+ visits from plumbers over the past 5 years....my home is cursed. Oh, after all that, I still found even more roots :mad:. Oy vey.

Didn’t know diamond bar was that old.

You must have a big tree lined property.

To be fair, about $55k of that was required Kitchen remodel (due to all the plumbing issues) that I did afterwards :p.

1960 house here, broken cast iron pipe as well. thinking about lining or partial lining with a reroute. Or just fix the broken one and hope for the best since I'm spending too much on the car. Also having hot water pipes rerouted right now...