Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 14 day autopilot trial query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi folks as above I can now activate the trial as of today but was wondering if I can delay it until it suits me or must I enable it now.
The reason is I have a long trip planned in 2 months time and it would be better to use it then.
There is a I'm not interested part at the bottom of the screen but if I press this does that mean it's deleted for good.
Anyone know the answer.

I have a long trip planned in 2 months time and it would be better to use it then

Trouble is, Tesla need buyers in time for quarterly results ... and you don't fit their profile

it now tells me every time I turn the car on that my trial has expired... thanks for that Tesla

If you change your mind I presume Support could re-enable it for you - but given my dire interactions with them there may well be no software yet-built to allow them to do that ... or it will take them 6 weeks to reply to your request ...

I honestly don't understand why they don't offer a PAYG version for those who don't use it enough to justify the £5k outlay but would use it occasionally - surely some money is better than none and they can clearly turn it on and off remotely so it can't be that difficult to actually implement.

Sounds like a good idea, but in reality AP/TACC is a feature you make use of on a daily basis once you get used to it. Before I bought a Tesla I was expecting to be an occasional AP user (long motorway trips etc) and I was on the fence whether or not to buy it. But I bit the bullet and then quickly discovered that AP and TACC are useful in most daily driving scenarios and I seriously miss it in other cars.

One thing they could possibly do is offer TACC only as a lower priced halfway option. Not everybody is comfortable with auto-steer, but adaptive cruise is a pretty standard cost option on other luxury cars. But then they would probably lose a fair bit of revenue as I think the majority of Teslas sold are with AP and I suspect a fair few of those buyers would have chosen a cheaper TACC option instead - I probably would have anyway. Auto-steer is nice to have on a long cruise, but I drive around with TACC switched on most of the time both in and out of traffic.

Sounds like a good idea, but in reality AP/TACC is a feature you make use of on a daily basis once you get used to it. Before I bought a Tesla I was expecting to be an occasional AP user (long motorway trips etc) and I was on the fence whether or not to buy it. But I bit the bullet and then quickly discovered that AP and TACC are useful in most daily driving scenarios and I seriously miss it in other cars.

One thing they could possibly do is offer TACC only as a lower priced halfway option. Not everybody is comfortable with auto-steer, but adaptive cruise is a pretty standard cost option on other luxury cars. But then they would probably lose a fair bit of revenue as I think the majority of Teslas sold are with AP and I suspect a fair few of those buyers would have chosen a cheaper TACC option instead - I probably would have anyway. Auto-steer is nice to have on a long cruise, but I drive around with TACC switched on most of the time both in and out of traffic.

I did temporarily have AP when I first got my MS and did use both Auto Steer and TACC a bit. For my commute I found both to be a bit unpredictable, which did put me off using them more often.

I agree that TACC should be offered FOC though: it's a £500 option on an £18k Ford Focus, and I think most people would reasonable expect it to be included when paying £70k+

I did temporarily have AP when I first got my MS and did use both Auto Steer and TACC a bit. For my commute I found both to be a bit unpredictable, which did put me off using them more often.

I agree that TACC should be offered FOC though: it's a £500 option on an £18k Ford Focus, and I think most people would reasonable expect it to be included when paying £70k+

IME of other £70K+ luxury cars, literally every piece of tech is a cost option, right down to basic floor mats! Have a look on the Porsche configurator or even the Jag iPace and you'll be impressed with the level of standard kit in a base Tesla. Obviously Tesla price in all that standard kit, but at least you don't have to spend several hours ticking boxes for things like floor mats, LED lights, keyless entry, interior ambient lighting, satnav, phone prep, online services, air suspension, memory seats, etc, etc, etc, etc.

IME of other £70K+ luxury cars, literally every piece of tech is a cost option, right down to basic floor mats! Have a look on the Porsche configurator or even the Jag iPace and you'll be impressed with the level of standard kit in a base Tesla. Obviously Tesla price in all that standard kit, but at least you don't have to spend several hours ticking boxes for things like floor mats, LED lights, keyless entry, interior ambient lighting, satnav, phone prep, online services, air suspension, memory seats, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Porsche are particularly bad but their customer enjoy customising their cars. I can assure you, if Porsche felt they’d sell more cars or made more money with fewer options, they’d do it.

Tesla give you few option and choice, they’ve reduced it over the years, pick an interior rather than pick from a range of seat style options, fabrics, colours, associated trim, headlining, etc. The others also offer upgrades, I’d love Tesla to offer an upgraded head light option, a head up display, surround view, a wave you foot under the rear and the trunk opens, but they don’t. Tesla dont even offer a mobility pack with tyre inflator at the time of ordering, or additional cables that you might need. You have to buy those after the event.

Back on topic, EAP is damn expensive, I recall $2.5k for AP1 and there’s virtually no difference between that and EAP, I think the free trial is because people are increasingly not taking the option.

Porsche are particularly bad but their customer enjoy customising their cars. I can assure you, if Porsche felt they’d sell more cars or made more money with fewer options, they’d do it.

Tesla give you few option and choice, they’ve reduced it over the years, pick an interior rather than pick from a range of seat style options, fabrics, colours, associated trim, headlining, etc. The others also offer upgrades, I’d love Tesla to offer an upgraded head light option, a head up display, surround view, a wave you foot under the rear and the trunk opens, but they don’t. Tesla dont even offer a mobility pack with tyre inflator at the time of ordering, or additional cables that you might need. You have to buy those after the event.

Back on topic, EAP is damn expensive, I recall $2.5k for AP1 and there’s virtually no difference between that and EAP, I think the free trial is because people are increasingly not taking the option.

Agree on the customising aspect, but Porsche takes the piss starting with Halogen headlights as the "base" level on some of their current cars! But yes it's nice to have lots of multiple choice on options, providing the base spec includes basic stuff you would expect in a luxury car, which it often doesn't so they can advertise unrealistic starting prices. The iPace is a great example of this. Looks much cheaper than a Tesla at first glance until you spec one up to a reasonable standard for the class.

Also agree that Tesla are missing a few key options in the luxury market, notably surround cam view. But that's the only one I really miss.

And yeah EAP is a very expensive option, although probably still best in class. Certainly better than Volvo's latest effort IME of the two. Haven't tried the latest Merc or BMW systems, but reading about the Merc it doesn't sound very good or intuitive to use.

Right I have had the AP trial for a few days now and here’s my thoughts on it after a few hundred miles using it.

Firstly the car sits to the left of the lane too much. Feel like about 2 feet too far off centre. When passing lorries on the motorway, if they’re to the right of their lane it’s pretty close! I hear they can sort this with calibration if I were buying it.

Secondly I find the TACC awfully slow in reacting to something pulling out in front of me. Obviously, I can see their indicators and them starting to move over (which the car can’t) but it waits until when they’re in my lane and then it almost slams on to brake too much.

However it is excellent in stop start traffic.

The auto lane change seems hit and miss. Even when there’s clearly nothing in the mane I’m changing into, it rarely seems to work. Don’t see the point really, especially as I have to hold the wheel.......which brings me onto........

Autosteer - I really like it, but I don’t expect to have to hold the wheel! I mean what’s the point of it if I have to hold the wheel?? Forget to hold the wheel once and it turns the function off for the rest of the journey like a dad confiscating a toy for the rest of the day. Jesus, I’m a grown up!

Summon - seriously a huge gimmick to everyone surely. I mean, just find a bigger car park space!

Not tried the auto park feature yet.

I’m never going to spend £5k on this. Maybe if I’d spec’d it at the start and added it to the PCP payments it wouldn’t be so bad if it were say an extra £30/mth, but to fork out £5,300 on it now just isn’t going to happen. I can’t buy considerably a lot more with £5k than this is worth to me.

It has also tought me that the FSD feature is WAY off, not just for Tesla but them all. The road markings are so poor in the UK on anything but major roads that it’s just never gonna happen. Just try turning Autosteer on a single carriage A or B road and you’ll see why.

PAYG seems a reasonable alternative, but as others have said, TACC is now standard (or a cheap option) on most Seat/VW cars these days and certainly expected on a £70k car which already has the hardware as standard.

Right I have had the AP trial for a few days now and here’s my thoughts on it after a few hundred miles using it.

Firstly the car sits to the left of the lane too much. Feel like about 2 feet too far off centre. When passing lorries on the motorway, if they’re to the right of their lane it’s pretty close! I hear they can sort this with calibration if I were buying it.

Secondly I find the TACC awfully slow in reacting to something pulling out in front of me. Obviously, I can see their indicators and them starting to move over (which the car can’t) but it waits until when they’re in my lane and then it almost slams on to brake too much.

However it is excellent in stop start traffic.

The auto lane change seems hit and miss. Even when there’s clearly nothing in the mane I’m changing into, it rarely seems to work. Don’t see the point really, especially as I have to hold the wheel.......which brings me onto........

Autosteer - I really like it, but I don’t expect to have to hold the wheel! I mean what’s the point of it if I have to hold the wheel?? Forget to hold the wheel once and it turns the function off for the rest of the journey like a dad confiscating a toy for the rest of the day. Jesus, I’m a grown up!

Summon - seriously a huge gimmick to everyone surely. I mean, just find a bigger car park space!

Not tried the auto park feature yet.

I’m never going to spend £5k on this. Maybe if I’d spec’d it at the start and added it to the PCP payments it wouldn’t be so bad if it were say an extra £30/mth, but to fork out £5,300 on it now just isn’t going to happen. I can’t buy considerably a lot more with £5k than this is worth to me.

It has also tought me that the FSD feature is WAY off, not just for Tesla but them all. The road markings are so poor in the UK on anything but major roads that it’s just never gonna happen. Just try turning Autosteer on a single carriage A or B road and you’ll see why.

PAYG seems a reasonable alternative, but as others have said, TACC is now standard (or a cheap option) on most Seat/VW cars these days and certainly expected on a £70k car which already has the hardware as standard.

Mine sits dead centre in the lane, so yes I guess that's a calibration issue you appear to have there.

TACC for me reacts pretty well now in the latest firmware (still a little harsh sometimes, but generally safe), but best to set the following distance to 5 or above or it will tend to slam on the brakes late as you describe and then tailgate. Check you haven't got it set to something like 1.

Holding the wheel is a pure safety thing in an emergency. At first it does seem a pain and then after a while (and for me that was a couple of months and several thousand miles!) you just get used to lightly holding the wheel to prevent the nags. As you say, this is nothing like FSD and the AS system is certainly fallible. You might be a grown up, but AS is still very much an infant!

Agree TACC is great in stop-start traffic and I would add that it's also great following a line of traffic at higher speeds too. I use it nearly all the time in any traffic, slow or fast and I find that it makes me less likely to hassle slower cars in front. It's a great chill mode!

Auto lane change is pretty good on mine, but unfortunately not available on all dual carriageways (it is map dependent). Having to switch out of AS to change lanes is a PITA with all the bing-bong-bong-bings, so much nicer to use auto-lane change just to avoid that.

Summon - yeah I agree just a gimmick. Haven't tried it yet and probably won't unless I have nothing better to do.

Auto-park - now I thought this would be a gimmick too, but it actually works very well, especially for parallel parking. I use it quite a lot and it half makes up for not having a surround cam view.

£5K is a lot of cash to throw at AP in the middle of ownership! I think it's one of those things you have to bite the bullet from the start or live without. If I order another Tesla I will choose it again for certain as I'm at the point of not wanting to live without it - even with its current limitations. It can only get better and almost certainly will over time.

Also agree that Tesla are missing a few key options in the luxury market, notably surround cam view. But that's the only one I really miss.

What about HUD? I've never driven a car that has one, so no idea if I would like it ... but I think that I might :)

the car sits to the left of the lane too much. Feel like about 2 feet too far off centre.

I have always thought that with my AP1 car. however, my passengers never mention it, so I wonder if it sitting in the right-driving-seat and the width of the car making one think its closer to the left-of-lane than actually? (Your car, subject to calibration, maybe be way further over than mine of course :) )

I find the TACC awfully slow in reacting to something pulling out in front of me

Same. Car has to get a long way into my lane before AP starts to react. I know that AP will react, so I let it be, but it does mean that it often jumps on the brakes whereas lifting-off a bit earlier would be better (and more energy efficient). Again, I get no complaints from passengers (which i find a bit surprising, it unnerves me!)

The ACC that I had on VW was awful by comparison. Even for vehicle-in-lane it would hair up behind the car and leap on the brakes. That was VERY disconcerting for passengers.

best to set the following distance to 5 or above or it will tend to slam on the brakes late

I haven't found that makes enough difference - whatever the follow-distance setting the car fails to "lift off" adequately to accommodate a car pushing in. Might be an AP1 vs AP2 thing, but it surprises me that if I set, say, 7 the car tries to maintain that at all times, rather than using up some, or indeed all, that space when safe to do so. Clearly the car is designed to be "safe" even at Follow-Distance=1, so at 7 there is plenty of margin

Other, related, annoyance is that when approaching, say, an HGV in slow lane the car wants to start slowing down a huge distance before I would actually pull out, and thus I have to indicate to change lanes very early - potential for annoyance / confusion of following traffic. Previous cars' ACC was just the same ...

It feels like I need some sort of notification that the car will reach slow-down-point shortly, so I can signal-to-change-lanes before that happens ... or use that safe-space before slowing down (and perhaps simultaneously give me a notification)

I've not noticed any dual carriageway that AP1 change-lanes doesn't work on, so GPS/map geo-fence might be an AP2 thing

auto lane change seems hit and miss

Mine is sufficiently slow, about [subjectively] 50% of the time, that if I have following traffic I take over so that other drivers not confused by signalling-but-not-moving. Thinking about it, some days it works much more often than others, so might be weather / light dependent maybe.

I don’t expect to have to hold the wheel!

I'm afraid you're going to have to, until it is out of Beta, so you don't wind up dead. I think the biggest snag with AP is when it instils over confidence in the driver. I have never had a scary moment on AP, although I have taken over often if I thought it was going to be "a bit tight". All of those might actually have been fine, I never tested them to see! So after mile-after-mile of faultless driving there is risk that the driver decides its OK to read a quick text ... then reply to one ... then watch a movie ... then nod off / climb into the back seat.

Of all the fatal crashes (on AP) that I am aware of the driver had plenty of time to react, but they neither steered nor braked. So either a medical-emergency (nothing from post-mortem to suggest that) or, sadly, not paying attention.

My experience is that on long journeys AP dramatically reduces fatigue, even thought I always drive one-hand-on-wheel. I had a recurring late-night drive of 1h30m and my comparison of before-Tesla vehicle (which had ACC) and after with AP=On are like night-and-day; the journey was 5 miles to dual carriageway at the start, and 5 miles at the end, light traffic at night, and boring ... and previously I was fighting sleep the last 15 minutes of dual carriageway driving on many occasions, but not once since having AP. I also have a journey I do often from Cambridge to Bristol, not particularly arduous, but I arrive (there, and back home again) noticeably more refreshed than in the Old Days.

Forget to hold the wheel once and it turns the function off for the rest of the journey

It used to be? that you had to ignore the initial indicator of flashing-dashboard-surround for that to happen.

Its less useful in UK because you have to muck about with Phone, rather than Fob. But there are some good use-cases:
  • Come back to car and someone has parked tight up against it
  • Or it has rained and your car is now in a puddle
  • Or you have a tight garage and cannot get out once parked (even more useful if you have HomeLink garage doors)
  • maybe even pull-forward so you can open the boot (e.g. if parked against a wall)
Sadly I can't find it, sorry, but there was a great YouTube of a guy getting ready for work. He pressed Summon and the car opened the garage door, drove out, and then closed the door, meantime he was getting his tie, briefcase, blah blah and then man-and-car were ready to leave at the same time :)

My bottom line is that I don't care if AP, or me, reacts to a problem, but the two of us are going to be better than just me. I have had AP slow down dramatically, for slowing traffic ahead, whilst I was glancing at the instruments and that has convinced me so I use it all the time I am on dual carriageway. My wife OTOH hates it, the "not in control" thing..

I haven't driven with AP1, but I expect it's now a fair bit different. AP2 does use up some of the buffer when set at a higher follow setting. It's very handy in traffic jams as you can keep it on a high setting and it will crawl right up to the car in front rather than maintain a big gap. Sounds like AP1 doesn't do that? Also recent firmware updates have definitely improved its reaction to cars cutting in ahead of you. It's a lot smoother than it was even a few months ago.