Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 22 inch on my x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my X and they forgot to remove the 22s and change it to 20s. I know the 22s cost a lot more but not sure what the advantage is of having 22 inch wheels. Do I tell them to swap with 20s or leave it the way it is. I live in NE region and need all weather tires. Really confused. My screen shows 22 inch on the console. If they swap to 20 will the screen picture automatically change to 20 or still show the black 22s? Please help decide.

Just got my X and they forgot to remove the 22s and change it to 20s. I know the 22s cost a lot more but not sure what the advantage is of having 22 inch wheels. Do I tell them to swap with 20s or leave it the way it is. I live in NE region and need all weather tires. Really confused. My screen shows 22 inch on the console. If they swap to 20 will the screen picture automatically change to 20 or still show the black 22s? Please help decide.
I’d say give them back and get what you paid for. The right thing to do is to point out their mistake. You’d want someone to do that for you, if the situation was reversed.

My car is in the service center right now because I configured it with 20" wheels, but since they found me an inventory car with 22" wheels, they left them on so they could give me the car sooner, without charging me for them.

I actually spent 3 months hounding them to get me my 20" wheels (the people are all super helpful, but they need more of them). I wanted them because they get up to 20% better range, give a smoother ride, and tend to handle better in adverse conditions (especially snow, which I'll need soon enough). I'll admit, the 22" look super sexy, but that's not enough for me given the downsides to keep them even for free.

Some people prefer the 22" and I definitely see why, but I definitely prefer the 20" overall.

Edit:
And yes, if they swap them, they should change the wheels shown in the car and the app. You can double check when you pick up the car and ask them to change it if they don't.

My car is in the service center right now because I configured it with 20" wheels, but since they found me an inventory car with 22" wheels, they left them on so they could give me the car sooner, without charging me for them.

I actually spent 3 months hounding them to get me my 20" wheels (the people are all super helpful, but they need more of them). I wanted them because they get up to 20% better range, give a smoother ride, and tend to handle better in adverse conditions (especially snow, which I'll need soon enough). I'll admit, the 22" look super sexy, but that's not enough for me given the downsides to keep them even for free.

Some people prefer the 22" and I definitely see why, but I definitely prefer the 20" overall.

Edit:
And yes, if they swap them, they should change the wheels shown in the car and the app. You can double check when you pick up the car and ask them to change it if they don't.

Same with me. Custom ordered with 20inch silver. My OA switched me to inventory car with 22inch onyx wheels. Picked up the car on 9/26. 22” wheels look amazing. But for the same reasons you mentioned in your post I will be switching to 20”.

In fact, my OA said he created a case before delivery for them to swap the wheels. My Tesla.com account shows 20” silver wheels and the Tesla app shows 22” onyx wheels.

I'd guess that they are less efficient, but may provide better performance, but probably cost a lot more to replace.

I thought they were just for looks.

1. Less efficient (reduced range)
2. Lower load capacity
3. Don’t last as long
4. Susceptible to blow outs (obstacles or pot holes)
5. Expensive

But they look really cool! (Apparently)

Got my MX back from the wheel swap today (a glass replacement made them keep it over night). They ended up putting the wrong wheels on front and back and I had to bring it back after I heard grinding when I got home, only happened in reverse. It took a few minutes to get a hold of them (I ended up calling roadside assistance to confirm I wouldn't be doing any damage by driving it back to the shop, and they got a hold of someone at the SC), but after that, they really did do everything to make it right, even had a tech waiting for me to take a look when I got there. There was no permanent damage besides scuffs on the inside surface of the wheel that no one will ever see.

Besides that, I'm quite happy with the 20" wheels. They're just the base chrome/silver ones, and even though I knew I'd be okay with them, I like the look of them quite a bit more than I expected. Tomorrow, I leave on a road trip, so I'll see how they affect the range.

One fun little detail - when my car was still in the shop last night, I pulled up the app to show a friend what my MX looks like, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the wheels were already updated.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
When I bought my inventory X last year, they swapped the 22s for 20s. But they had to revise the Mulroney sticker to reflect the change and my delivery was delayed until they did that. Am guessing since you already took delivery of the car, that wouldn’t be the case?

I understand it's fair that the 22's reduce range, cost more to replace, are stiffer riding, and are more susceptible to blowouts, but I don't understand all this hate everywhere about them. Your range hit is negligible compared to the range hit that comes from hard acceleration that all of you guys do daily.

They do have some advantages. First of all, they look amazing. Since they're matte black, you don't really have to clean them that much (in fact to me, they look better when dirty). The biggest benefit is that they improve handling by, like, a LOT. Your Model X will corner much better, never "bounce" around corners. You can take turns at much higher speed, never lose grip under hard acceleration, and best of all, you will have much better stopping power since they have a larger footprint than the 20" wheels. So, in my experience, the 22" are actually safer when driving. You are more likely to prevent a collision as your heavy Model X will be more agile with them.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D