Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 3 month FSD trial for taking delivery by Dec 31st.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahh, but Costco will refund you the difference if something you bought goes on sale up to 30 days after you bought it...

You think this is bad, last week the grocery store put standing rib roasts on sale for $5.99 a pound. I bought one and ate it back in September for $12.99 a pound. Can you believe that?!? I can’t believe how little the grocery store cares about its customer relations.

While this offer may push some people to take delivery by 12/31, it also gives Tesla the opportunity to test current waters among a limited pool of buyers to see the FSD conversion over the next three months. This information could help determine how to best roll out their monthly FSD subscription option.

The risk with any trial offer is that if the product doesn't live up to the hype, you will get a poor conversion rate and potentially lose sales from people that might have otherwise purchased it (then or in the future) if they hadn't been given the opportunity to extensively test it out first.

Reactions: BeeGood
I bought a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid on September 30.

On December first they started a 0% financing promotion.

Should I be eligible for that promotion, because I bought a car months ago?

Of course not. This is something most people just inherently understand, whether talking about steaks or cars. You’re eligible for the current promotion if you buy another car, just like I’m eligible for the current promotion if I buy another steak. Weird how that works eh?

Funny that you mention Chrysler. Back in the early 1990s, Chrysler ran a promotion called the "Guaranteed Rebate" which stated that if the rebate on a car you purchased went up during the model year, you could get a check for the difference. So, for example, if you bought when the rebate was $1,000 and it eventually went to $1,500, you would get a check from Chrysler for the additional $500.

While this offer may push some people to take delivery by 12/31, it also gives Tesla the opportunity to test current waters among a limited pool of buyers to see the FSD conversion over the next three months. This information could help determine how to best roll out their monthly FSD subscription option.

The risk with any trial offer is that if the product doesn't live up to the hype, you will get a poor conversion rate and potentially lose sales from people that might have otherwise purchased it (then or in the future) if they hadn't been given the opportunity to extensively test it out first.
This is a good thought process, those that were on the fence might figure out that it’s not worth the cost after trial.

On the flip side of the coin, you might get more people purchasing that either A) wanted to try it before the committed or B) get hooked on some of the features and will now purchase FSD when it wasn’t on the radar before.

it’s basically the entire reason Costco gives our sample. It might persuade you to purchase something you wouldn’t before.

Personally I’d rather have some free supercharger miles than 3 months of FSD. If I wanted FSD I would have bought it anyway with the car so the promotion would be meaningless. Most people who don’t buy it choose not to because they don’t think it’s worth $10K. Tesla used to allow free EAP trials to all new owners so they could test the features out and see if they wanted it. To call this a big “promotion” is a bit of a stretch, as it only serves to help Tesla sell more FSD licenses anyway.

Personally I’d rather have some free supercharger miles than 3 months of FSD. If I wanted FSD I would have bought it anyway with the car so the promotion would be meaningless. Most people who don’t buy it choose not to because they don’t think it’s worth $10K. Tesla used to allow free EAP trials to all new owners so they could test the features out and see if they wanted it. To call this a big “promotion” is a bit of a stretch, as it only serves to help Tesla sell more FSD licenses anyway.
They are doing both. You get the free year of supercharging AND 3 free months of FSD

You are now comparing financing to a software update that Tesla could give to their customers. Tesla offers me software updates that Tesla owners get. It’s not a physical component, it is a software perk.

But it isn’t surprising. Tesla plays these games quite a bit. Their customer service and relations are god awful.

The "its just software" argument does not hold any water, because its "software that costs 10k". There are plenty of instances of tesla dropping the ball from a customer service perspective, but THIS is not one of them.

Reactions: BeeGood
I took delivery of my car yesterday. I had the option of getting it today though. Oh well. I wasn't planning on getting it anyway. Price is one semester of college tuition for my daughter.

Now, YOU have a valid reason to try to get this. Someone who bought their car "last quarter" is no different than someone who bought their car in 2016, as was pointed out previously, but "Yesterday" is a valid thing to ask.

This is simply an incentive, offered by Tesla, to encourage customers to take delivery by EOY, instead of putting delivery off until next year.

The stock price will benefit if Tesla is able to deliver lots of cars this year.

Bingo. It's just a way to press the person who says "eh, I'm busy, I'll just get it next week" into taking delivery by EOY. Makes no difference to the buyer when it delivers but makes a HUGE difference to Wall Street.

I have the opposite problem -- it doesn't really matter to me whether my customers receive their deliveries on 12/31 or 1/1, but for them, it's the difference between having the money to pay for it, or their budget turning into a pumpkin. We always have a mad dash end of year scramble to deliver product by EOY... not for our sake, but for theirs.

Yup, this is what I’m thinking too.

Objective 1A: Push as many cars out the door by EOY
Objective 1B: Test Tesla owner’s appetite for the forthcoming FSD subscription so they can price accordingly.

I have it...$10,000 to change lanes automatically. Hell of a deal.
My take is 10 grand just to 'summon' your car, and show off to your friends your car drives itself. Ha ha. To me, it's absolutely useless, and I wouldn't have it even for $1K, but to each his own. Having said that, I took delivery of an M3 LR yesterday, so I supposedly qualify for the 3-month free FSD, so my daughters can mess with it. Ha ha. By the way, how the heck can you know when FSD is activated? What specific features are there? Right now I can summon my car forward and backward, which is all I could really need, if ever. But it's not activated yet for sure. Maybe in January, just like the free supercharging? Thx.

This is a good thought process, those that were on the fence might figure out that it’s not worth the cost after trial.

On the flip side of the coin, you might get more people purchasing that either A) wanted to try it before the committed or B) get hooked on some of the features and will now purchase FSD when it wasn’t on the radar before.

it’s basically the entire reason Costco gives our sample. It might persuade you to purchase something you wouldn’t before.

Sure, it goes both ways. That's what free samples and free trials are all about. Of course, most consumer free samples/trials are for relatively low cost items.

The Tesla FSD free trial is somewhat unique in that the cost for Tesla to provide the trial is basically zero and is easy to do but could end up generating thousands of dollars in revenue for them. I think most people willing to pay full price are already sold on the feature but it could convince some to sign up for a monthly subscription plan, depending on terms, when it becomes available.

Unless the conversion rate or feedback from the 3 month trial "experiment" is disappointing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 30-day (at least) free trial as part of FSD when they launch their monthly subscription option e.g., try it free for 30 days and if you want to continue using it, pay $XXX/month, $X,XXX/year or $XX,XXX lifetime.

I really don’t understand why they don’t offer everyone a free trial of FSD. It cost them nothing and they may end up selling more FSD upgrades as a result. It makes no sense to use this as an incentive. The incentive is for Tesla to sell more licenses, not for the buyer to get a free trial.