TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free air at gas station.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Eardoc, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Eardoc

Eardoc Member

I'm a new model s owner and I had my first experience with low tire pressure warnings. I pulled into my local gas station and used their free air hose to top off my tire pressure. I realize some gas stations charge for air and water for cars but this one is still free. I didn't buy gas and didn't shop in their convenience store. As I pulled out I wondered if I should continue to use the free air at this station.

Where do tesla owners top off tire air pressure?

2. animorph

animorph Member

On our trip it turned cold and set off the tire pressure warning. I pulled into a gas station and filled the tires using my Tesla Tire Repair Kit! Much better using it for that than actually repairing a tire. I've usually kept a 12V air compressor in my cars, and it has come in handy often enough.

• Like x 3
  3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I've got two gas stations roughly equidistant from me that offer air — one charges, one is free. I've only had to put air in the tires once, and it was at the free one. I didn't buy anything during that visit, but I've been there before and since as a convenience store patron.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

I bought a Husky 12-Volt/120-Volt Home and Auto Inflator at Home Depot and keep it in the lower compartment of the trunk. I bought this model because it is digital and I can set it to stop at a desired air pressure and don't need to constantly check with another tire pressure gauge. I used it quite regularly for the first two months that I owned my Tesla because I got two screws in two different tires in those first two months.

• Like x 2
  5. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

Technically, it is illegal to charge for air or water if you purchase gas in California......BUT, I have NEVER had an issue when pulling into a gas station and politely asking the attendant to turn the air/water on without making any purchase.

• Like x 3
  6. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Agreed with bakerboy. If they have an issue, buy a coffee or cruise to the next station or pay the $1. I have gone to the station next to my work a few times to top off the tires and they don't care whatsoever.

7. Takumi

Takumi Member

I use (not yet, but my previous cars) Discount Tire. I tip the tech if it's really cold or hot out. they use a machined that automatically stops it at the pressure you ask them to. You can probably go to any other tire stores and they'll top it up for you for free.

TIP! Check the valve cap if you have someone else do it for you since inexperienced or lazy "techs" may not secure it properly.

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I use a bicycle pump for adding a few pounds it is quick, easy, always available and a short work out.

• Like x 4
  9. f-stop

f-stop Member

I use the free air hose at my local self-serve gas station at which for years I gave them tons of $$$ for gas. No one bats an eye, although I do wonder if anyone even notices an electric car pulling into the gas station at all. I do also have a 12V air compressor I keep in the frunk for emergencies, but my local gas stn is only a couple blocks away and therefore convenient.
    On a long road trip I've also pulled up to some self-serve pumps to use their squeegee (something that's missing at almost all Superchargers)

10. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I've used a bicycle pump to top off my tires for years. Faster and quieter than my 12V pump, which has gathered dust in my garage. And, yes, the nice workout is a bonus. :)

• Like x 1
  11. RayW

RayW Member

Maybe Elon will see this and start adding air hoses and windshield washer buckets at Super Charger stations

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

who would maintain those amenities?

13. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

If you were in an ICE car with a full tank and needed air, would you have stopped there? Why would it be any different in an EV when you need air?

Yes, it's polite to buy something when you use air, or a restroom, or whatever. It makes it all a customer interaction. And it does good for the EV ecosystem to be polite and to be profitable for them.

As for cleaning the windshield, a week after I got my car I went on a road trip -- in the winter. I stopped at a Target and bought a spray bottle, squeegee/scrubber, and a bottle of windshield fluid. Topped off the car's washer tank, filled the spray bottle, kept them in the frunk, and didn't need to stop at a gas station the whole trip.

• Like x 1
  14. croman

croman Active Member

Air compressor in garage. I even fill up my brother's leaf and my leaf. EVs need to stick together and avoid gas stations altogether (I now buy washer fluid from Costco and can store 2 gallons in trunk side wells). No way I'm ever letting my daughter near one of those places.

15. KF94563

KF94563 Member

Any Costco in North America with a tire center has a hose for members to top off the pressure in the tires. All of the stores in my area have upgraded to nitrogen inflation systems with digital pressure gauges that will adjust the pressure to whatever setting you choose. Looking at the cars I've seen using the facilities, I don't think they are concerned if you bought the tires there or are even a member. (I'm keeping my local Costco plenty busy, so they get their patronage from me anyway).

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

In California, Stations IIRC are REQUIRED to provide air/water for free. Where they attempt to charge, you can go in and request a token to turn it on.

• Informative x 1
  17. XJmaxxG8

XJmaxxG8 Member

I was on a trip and had to add air due to the cold temps. I used the free air at the gas station and definitely noticed smiles and pointed fingers from station patrons. The humor of the situation was not lost on me either.

18. Beryl

Beryl Member

My experience: Every tire store not only has free air but they will fill your tires to your specifications for free.

19. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

+1 for Costco.

And it's been Nitro at both of the ones I tried (CA and TX), which is what the car had in it to begin with, so... great!

20. Tangible

Tangible Member

There is a large supply of hot air available from the department at Tesla that projects availability date for promised features.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1