Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free air at gas station.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new model s owner and I had my first experience with low tire pressure warnings. I pulled into my local gas station and used their free air hose to top off my tire pressure. I realize some gas stations charge for air and water for cars but this one is still free. I didn't buy gas and didn't shop in their convenience store. As I pulled out I wondered if I should continue to use the free air at this station.

Where do tesla owners top off tire air pressure?

I've got two gas stations roughly equidistant from me that offer air — one charges, one is free. I've only had to put air in the tires once, and it was at the free one. I didn't buy anything during that visit, but I've been there before and since as a convenience store patron.

I bought a Husky 12-Volt/120-Volt Home and Auto Inflator at Home Depot and keep it in the lower compartment of the trunk. I bought this model because it is digital and I can set it to stop at a desired air pressure and don't need to constantly check with another tire pressure gauge. I used it quite regularly for the first two months that I owned my Tesla because I got two screws in two different tires in those first two months.

Reactions: Shaggy and MoonChou
I use (not yet, but my previous cars) Discount Tire. I tip the tech if it's really cold or hot out. they use a machined that automatically stops it at the pressure you ask them to. You can probably go to any other tire stores and they'll top it up for you for free.

TIP! Check the valve cap if you have someone else do it for you since inexperienced or lazy "techs" may not secure it properly.

I use the free air hose at my local self-serve gas station at which for years I gave them tons of $$$ for gas. No one bats an eye, although I do wonder if anyone even notices an electric car pulling into the gas station at all. I do also have a 12V air compressor I keep in the frunk for emergencies, but my local gas stn is only a couple blocks away and therefore convenient.
On a long road trip I've also pulled up to some self-serve pumps to use their squeegee (something that's missing at almost all Superchargers)

I didn't buy gas and didn't shop in their convenience store. As I pulled out I wondered if I should continue to use the free air at this station.

If you were in an ICE car with a full tank and needed air, would you have stopped there? Why would it be any different in an EV when you need air?

Yes, it's polite to buy something when you use air, or a restroom, or whatever. It makes it all a customer interaction. And it does good for the EV ecosystem to be polite and to be profitable for them.

As for cleaning the windshield, a week after I got my car I went on a road trip -- in the winter. I stopped at a Target and bought a spray bottle, squeegee/scrubber, and a bottle of windshield fluid. Topped off the car's washer tank, filled the spray bottle, kept them in the frunk, and didn't need to stop at a gas station the whole trip.

Reactions: croman
Air compressor in garage. I even fill up my brother's leaf and my leaf. EVs need to stick together and avoid gas stations altogether (I now buy washer fluid from Costco and can store 2 gallons in trunk side wells). No way I'm ever letting my daughter near one of those places.

Any Costco in North America with a tire center has a hose for members to top off the pressure in the tires. All of the stores in my area have upgraded to nitrogen inflation systems with digital pressure gauges that will adjust the pressure to whatever setting you choose. Looking at the cars I've seen using the facilities, I don't think they are concerned if you bought the tires there or are even a member. (I'm keeping my local Costco plenty busy, so they get their patronage from me anyway).