Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free airport parking in Honolulu is back!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The answer to free parking...

Dale,
Thank you so very much for bringing this matter to our attention and for your patience in waiting for a response.

The Attorney General’s office has determined that while the language of the statute is not as clear as it could be, it noted that several people testified in opposition to the bill because they felt it would allow the airport to charge after 24 hours, that the legislative intent was that electric vehicles not be charged for using the public parking lots.

Therefore, we have asked AMPCO to process a refund to you. Please provide a receipt or the license plate number of your E-vehicle to the attendant at AMPCO's office located at the exit booth area of the Honolulu International Airport. You don't have to park your vehicle in any of the parking structures to get to AMPCO's office. Their office is located after the lei stands. You may also call 861-1260 to get further directions on where to park for their office or verification of refund.

Sidney A. Hayakawa
DOT/Airports Division
Administrative Services Officer (AIR-A)
Office 808-838-8704
Fax: 808-838-8067

dpodoll - Are you saying that airport parking is again free for an unlimited amount of time like it used to be? Can we park our cars for a week or two while we go off island without being charged? (This is of course assuming the vampire load will not deplete our batteries.) Do you have anything more definitive than this note?

Mahalo.

Dpodoll, Dale, can you expand on this a little please. Did the law get revised to only allow 24 hours? Are you saying that DOT has checked with the AG and the AG says, we are back to free parking for the entire airport parking? Like leave it there a week and when you leave, they will not charge us for the parking?

dpodoll - Are you saying that airport parking is again free for an unlimited amount of time like it used to be? Can we park our cars for a week or two while we go off island without being charged? (This is of course assuming the vampire load will not deplete our batteries.) Do you have anything more definitive than this note?

Mahalo.

I managed to do 8 days while still driving the car (limited trips). with a range charge at a charger close to the airport, you should make 14-15 days without the 5.0 firmware.

I escalated to issue to the Attorney General (through the airport management office) and the response was parking is FREE. I believe the limit is 30 days because at that point the airport considerates it an abandoned vehicle unless you inform them ahead of time it will be there more than 30 Days (Still FREE). What more can I say? I pushed it and they (Attorney General) agree with me. No change in law - This is the attorney general's interpretation of the current law - PARK FOR FREE

I escalated to issue to the Attorney General (through the airport management office) and the response was parking is FREE. I believe the limit is 30 days because at that point the airport considerates it an abandoned vehicle unless you inform them ahead of time it will be there more than 30 Days (Still FREE). What more can I say? I pushed it and they (Attorney General) agree with me. No change in law - This is the attorney general's interpretation of the current law - PARK FOR FREE
Big mahalo! It used to be this way. When I drove one of the early Leaf's on the island I parked it at the airport for extended periods free. Then the law was changed to a 24 hour max airport stay, confirmed in writing for me by Senator Mike Gabbard, also a Leaf driver. So this is big news if we are back to unlimited days at the airport. This is a huge convenience for EV drivers.

Would it be possible for you to make available a .pdf of your reply from the Attorney General's office so we can bring it with us to the airport when we park for longer than a day should we be hassled at the pay booth? Thx.

My complaint went to the airport management office that instructed the parking contractor to limit us to 24 hr. I requested a legal review. The end result is the e-mail I included in the OP. The AG correspondence was between them and the airport management office. If someone wants something else, recommend you contact:

Sidney A. Hayakawa
DOT/Airports Division
Office 808-838-8704

I have complete confidence that there never was a "change to the law", just a misinterpretation. That misinterpretation was not made by airport authorities, it was directed by someone in the Department of Business Economic Development & Tourism (DBEDT)

I have complete confidence that there never was a "change to the law", just a misinterpretation.
Your confidence is misplaced. There was in fact a change to the law in mid 2012 which those of us who have been driving EVs long enough remember quite well. That law specifically restricted free EV parking at public places to 24 hours and to meters for 2.5 hours. Here is my reply from Senator Mike Gabbard on July 19, 2012 asking whether the bill proposed to change the law had passed. You see that it did:

Aloha Dave,

Thanks for your email. You are referring to SB 2746 which was recently signed into law by Governor Abercrombie as Act 168 and took effect on June 27, 2012: Hawaii State Legislature

The bill keeps the incentives for EVs in place through 2020 with some modifications. Here are the specifics:

· Allows EV owners drivers to continue to be exempted from HOV restrictions

· EV vehicles are also exempt from state or county parking fees for up to 2½ hours of metered parking or the maximum time the meter allows, whichever is longer, and for up to 24 hours at other parking, such as airports

I hope this helps.

Mahalo,
Senator Mike Gabbard
Chair, Energy & Environment Committee
Hawai’i State Capitol, Room 201
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Ph: 586-6830 Fax: 586-6679

The link in his email is stale since the bill passed over a year ago. The Hawaii Revised Statues showing the law that went into effect can be found here now: HRS

The law clearly states there is a 24 hour maximum. This is why we have asked you for official documentation from the Attorney General to the contrary.

Your confidence is misplaced. There was in fact a change to the law in mid 2012 which those of us who have been driving EVs long enough remember quite well. That law specifically restricted free EV parking at public places to 24 hours and to meters for 2.5 hours. Here is my reply from Senator Mike Gabbard on July 19, 2012 asking whether the bill proposed to change the law had passed. You see that it did:

Aloha Dave,

Thanks for your email. You are referring to SB 2746 which was recently signed into law by Governor Abercrombie as Act 168 and took effect on June 27, 2012: Hawaii State Legislature

The bill keeps the incentives for EVs in place through 2020 with some modifications. Here are the specifics:

· Allows EV owners drivers to continue to be exempted from HOV restrictions

· EV vehicles are also exempt from state or county parking fees for up to 2½ hours of metered parking or the maximum time the meter allows, whichever is longer, and for up to 24 hours at other parking, such as airports

I hope this helps.

Mahalo,
Senator Mike Gabbard
Chair, Energy & Environment Committee
Hawai’i State Capitol, Room 201
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Ph: 586-6830 Fax: 586-6679

The link in his email is stale since the bill passed over a year ago. The Hawaii Revised Statues showing the law that went into effect can be found here now: HRS

The law clearly states there is a 24 hour maximum. This is why we have asked you for official documentation from the Attorney General to the contrary.

The implication was that there was a law change recently that stimulated the policy change. Not so. My documentation came from the airport management office that directs the parking contractor how to operate. They (airport management) are the ones who got the AG opinion when I asked to see the legal review (which had not been done when they changed their policy a few months ago). All I need is the e-mail in the OP here. Pretty sure it will work for you too.

Here's the bill: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/bills/GM1271_.PDF

Page 2 lines 1 - 3 are the lines that have been misinterpreted to mean there is a 24 hour limit, when in fact it has to do with billing increments. They are exempting weekly, monthly, and annual increments. Airport works in 24 hour increments. This is the logic I presented to the airport manager, and it appears that the AG agrees.

I'll let you know when I go get my refund.

Still recommend doubters contact the airport manager:

Sidney A. Hayakawa
DOT/Airports Division
Office 808-838-8704

Dale

- - - Updated - - -

Another option is

Contact AMPCO Parking for more information: (808) 861-1260

It's over guys we won!

Dale--So do I understand correctly that because of the arcane wording in the law that was changed June 27, 2012 free airport parking for EVs is not in fact restricted to 24 hours as Senator Gabbard indicated?

That would be a kick. I was involved in the comments on the bill, corresponded with Senator Gabbard several times while the bill was being considered, and sent emails to the legislature opposing it. There is no question that at the time the legislature meant to restrict airport parking to 24 hours max with their bill because they felt the privilege was being abused and revenue was being lost.

But you are saying that the wording of the law did not actually restrict airport parking to 24 hours because the airport does not charge incrementally as indicated in the bill. Correct? I love it.

I will also fax Mr. Sidney A. Hayakawa for general clarification and post his response.

Awesome work - thanks!

I recall that someone here parks in Kukui Plaza, which is a C&C regulated facility (for parking rates) - was there any feedback from the facility on special/free parking for EVs?

That was me who parks at Kukui Plaza and yes, EV parking is free :). I still have my parking card though since I've already have the monthly fee coming out of my pre-tax benefit at work. The only issue for me if I cancel my card is that I can't get in the garage if the lot is full, which it does in the morning when HPU is in session. I'm thinking that the Harbor Court city lot is probably free too.