Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free app for viewing TeslaCam and Sentry videos on your Android device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I update to your new version?

I just tried the usual way (android phone) but when I go to the tesla cam app in the app menu there is no option to update nor is their an update notice when launching the app itself.
If you have not gotten Google Play store's push notification about update available, open play store > swipe right from left edge of screen to bring up menu > "My apps & games" > this should show available updates for all the apps you have on your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: snailboat
Has anyone found a solution for using the Android TeslaCam app to access files on an SMB share? I tried one, the app could see the directories and even count the files, but couldn't actually play them.

It's great that my Pi Zero is automatically uploading them to my network, but it sucks to have to use a PC to view them.

If anyone was having trouble with videos in this app after upgrading their car to the 2019.24.4 firmware update, I just published an update last night that fixes the issue.

Also, I finally figured out the issue with OnePlus devices - the ES File explorer app that seems to ship with those devices blocks other apps from using the USB storage. If you just uninstall ES, the sentry reviewer app works fine on a OnePlus. There are plenty of other file managers that don't have the same issue that can replace ES.

OMG I think this is what has been causing all my file access issues that I have been complaining about. I do have ES File Explorer installed. What other file manager do you recommend that can browse photos and videos? I'd want a professional paid file manager by a reputable developer that does not mine your personal data so privacy is super important. Seems like replacing my file manager should fix my stability/file access issues.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Well, I still can't watch any of my vids on the OnePlus 5T. I turn on the OTG storage then if I try "select USB DRIVE" it says, there was a problem opening the removable drive. So I try SELECT FOLDER, where I see .cache, Android, LOST.DIR, System Volumes, and TeslaCam. Hitting TeslaCam yields RecentClips and SavedClips. RecentClips brings up a bunch of folders (?) that are white with red folder icons in the center and dates at the bottom. If I try to "select" any of those it just says 'selected folder is not named TeslaCam, please select TeslaCam folder.' If I tap on SavedClips (instead of RecentClips) I see a list of folders with dates. Tapping any one of those simply brings up the same, large white folders with the red icon in the center.
So in short, I am not able to see any of the vids unless I plug the USB dongle into my PC. It seems like I'm close using the app, but no cigar.... Oh, and I don't have ES file explorer on my phone.

radio

I think you're just one step away from getting it to work - you want to pop into the TeslaCam folder (so that you're looking at the RecentClips and SavedClips folders) and then hit "select". That way you're selecting the root TeslaCam folder, and the app can read all of the RecentClips and SavedClips from there.

OMG I think this is what has been causing all my file access issues that I have been complaining about. I do have ES File Explorer installed. What other file manager do you recommend that can browse photos and videos? I'd want a professional paid file manager by a reputable developer that does not mine your personal data so privacy is super important. Seems like replacing my file manager should fix my stability/file access issues.
I use the one just named File Manager by ASUS (the computer chip manufacturer) or Files By Google (from Google itself). Both are free and have all the features I personally need.

Has anyone found a solution for using the Android TeslaCam app to access files on an SMB share? I tried one, the app could see the directories and even count the files, but couldn't actually play them.

It's great that my Pi Zero is automatically uploading them to my network, but it sucks to have to use a PC to view them.
I'd be interested to hear what you got to almost work. I haven't put any work into explicitly supporting SMB - not a lot of free time with a day job and young kids, but I plan on supporting it eventually.

I use the one just named File Manager by ASUS (the computer chip manufacturer) or Files By Google (from Google itself). Both are free and have all the features I personally need.

I'd be interested to hear what you got to almost work. I haven't put any work into explicitly supporting SMB - not a lot of free time with a day job and young kids, but I plan on supporting it eventually.

It's one that Google published, then pulled a couple of years ago. It actually mounts the share so that the downloads app is able to see it. My share showed up when I chose select folder and it let me select it. All the directories in my SavedClips folder showed up, and after a bit showed file counts, but when I selected one, I get "clip is missing or corrupt" for the all the video files.

google/samba-documents-provider

Android Samba Client 1.1 (Android 6.0+) APK Download by Developed with Google - APKMirror

I can use FileCommander (a very nice file app, BTW) to access the share and play videos, but that only works inside FC, of course.

Last edited:
Make sure the "use legacy player" option in the event list is not checked. The original media player that the app used to use doesn't work with videos made since 2019.24.4.

I also had a hiccup after installing 28.3.1 where my car saved a bunch of tiny corrupt 1kb videos until I manually rebooted the system.

• Informative
Reactions: Jan Fiala
Make sure the "use legacy player" option in the event list is not checked. The original media player that the app used to use doesn't work with videos made since 2019.24.4.

I also had a hiccup after installing 28.3.1 where my car saved a bunch of tiny corrupt 1kb videos until I manually rebooted the system.

Thanks, problem solved!

P.S. Would it be possible in the future to maybe integrate all minute clips of one event into one seamless video? So that you can go trough fast trough all of the small clips just dragging the finger over the time line?

Yeah, I'm working (in limited free time) on integrating a video editing library that would allow the clips to be fused together. I haven't gotten it to the point yet where I can performance test it to see if fusing all ~10 videos for an event can be done fast enough to make it useful for viewing, but I'm hoping that it will at least be good for generating trimmed-down videos for Youtube or the like.

Hey, first post here! Just wanted to let everybody know that I made a free Android app for viewing TeslaCam and Sentry videos on Android devices. This requires an OTG adapter to plug your USB stick into your phone. Once you have one, just plug it in, run this app, find your TeslaCam folder and you can review each event easily, scrub through it to see if anything happened, and delete it if you'd like.

Keep an OTG adapter in the car and you can review your Sentry videos as soon as you get in and see the 'X events recorded' notification.

The app is called TeslaCam / Sentry Reviewer on Google Play here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snailboat.teslacamreviewer

Picture of it in action:
3FynXpF.jpg

I am constantly updating it and adding new features, so please let me know if you have any trouble with it or would like a feature to be implemented. I'm working on adding zooming, exporting, and some other features now. All current functionality is and will remain totally free but I may add a single-time 'premium' in-app purchase soon that enables some bells and whistles. May add an iOS version soon as well!

Thank you. You are the Sentry King. Made this a fully functional option. For the novices like me, what is an OTG adaptor?

An OTG adapter just adapts a full-size USB item (like the TeslaCam USB drive) to the USB port on your phone or tablet, whether that is micro-USB or USB-C. This is a USB-C OTG adapter for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Transfer-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B078NKPGW9/

Google Pixel phones and many other devices come with an OTG adapter in the box now, so many people already have one stored in a drawer somewhere and forgotten.

Thank you. You are the Sentry King. Made this a fully functional option. For the novices like me, what is an OTG adaptor?

It's an adapter that has a USB plug on one end and a plug for your phone on the other end. OTG stands for "on the go," and when you use it to connect a USB drive, it signals to your phone that it needs to act as the computer in this situation, not the accessory. This is the adapter I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771GBS5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an adapter that has a USB plug on one end and a plug for your phone on the other end. OTG stands for "on the go," and when you use it to connect a USB drive, it signals to your phone that it needs to act as the computer in this situation, not the accessory. This is the adapter I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771GBS5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks a million for developing this. It makes the SENTRY worthy! Ordered the OTG and downloaded your app. You the MAN!!

@snailboat Thanks for updating the app so fast! I just got V10 on Sunday and was thinking that they moved Sentry clip to a different folder, the app would not work but you already updated it. Then I saw that it does not have the rear camera and I don't even know where you could put the rear camera on the phone screen as 3 video filled it up. Then today I updated again and saw that you put it in... works really well too. You can clearly see that the rear camera quality is so much better than the other 3.

Now that they updated the Sentry mode to delete old folder when running out of space, my flash drive won't get filled up. I am turning SM on at home. I park facing the street in front of my house. Anyone try to get to my home at night would get recorded. It is like a giant watchdog. One flash of the headlights would scare the bad guys away.

Thanks for the quick update for new V10 firmware. By the way, I tried to give u a dollar for coffee a few weeks ago, but it didn't not seem to work bc I didn't see 1 dollar deduction from my account. Only a charge of 3.99 for the premium.

Thanks guys. The missing purchase thing is weird, but I have seen some oddness with the billing library I use - it's Google's latest and greatest, and therefore most buggy, so every once in a while I see a purchase get auto-refunded because something went wrong.