Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free app for viewing TeslaCam and Sentry videos on your Android device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys. The missing purchase thing is weird, but I have seen some oddness with the billing library I use - it's Google's latest and greatest, and therefore most buggy, so every once in a while I see a purchase get auto-refunded because something went wrong.

It works for me. I did the coffee thing after reading the post above it doesn't work. I do have existing credit the play store though... and it deducted from my credit.

Has anyone had this issue:

Basically, on 'Recent' and 'Sentry' folders, the app cycles thru event tabs forever then eventually shows playback failure message. Other apps on my phone also have issues - VLC cannot play videos in these folders either. However, on a PC they all display/play well.

Car setup:
- 2017 Model S
- SD Card: Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC
- USB Adapter: Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card

Phone details:
- Adapter: Vanja Type C Card Reader, 3-in-1 USB 2.0
- Model: Pixel 2 XL

Sent OP a direct message, but I figured the broader community might have heard of some similar problems

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
How do we make VLC media player the default player for this app?

I don't think the app controls that. I think it just looks at the file extension and the OS launch the default player. My Pixel 3XL used to be able to watch Tesla video with the default player, but after it updates to Android 10, it gives error. I have not done it myself, but I think you need to change the default player on the Android OS for movies.

I don't think the app controls that. I think it just looks at the file extension and the OS launch the default player. My Pixel 3XL used to be able to watch Tesla video with the default player, but after it updates to Android 10, it gives error. I have not done it myself, but I think you need to change the default player on the Android OS for movies.
That's correct. Once you install a second media player, when you long-press a video it should ask you which media player to use and it will allow you to select a default there.

If you already had two media players installed and chose one as your default in the past, Android makes it a little painful to remove the default setting. You have to remember which app you set as the default and then go into it and unset it as the default using these steps: Set or clear default apps - Android Help

• Informative
Reactions: rlb4
I'm new to this app and sentry mode. I had sentry mode turned on yesterday at a restaurant. When I came back the car said there were 2 sentry mode events. I went to the store and after returning it said the was 1 sentry mode event.

When I got home I plugged my 500g Samsung T5 SSD into my Samsung S9 to view the files. Under Sentry I had 2 bars with dates and times but in those bars they both said "0 Clips".

My dash cam footage was viewable but nothing with the sentry mode.

Was coal rolled and have everything I need except a quality front cam vid to see his license plate. Is it pretty common for the front cam to be less quality? Frustrating that I had the video but it's not quality enough to do anything about it. (obviously not blaming your amazing app, thankful that you have made it, frustrated with Tesla)

I had the same issue actually. Luckily the coal-roller had been behind me a few minutes earlier so I got a license plate from the rear camera. Doesn't matter, though, since I was in upstate NY and I couldn't find anywhere to report the illegal exhaust system to the state.

Anyway, I read a good idea the other day: anytime somebody coal-rolls you, just imagine them as a scared squid inking behind it as it flees.

I had the same issue actually. Luckily the coal-roller had been behind me a few minutes earlier so I got a license plate from the rear camera. Doesn't matter, though, since I was in upstate NY and I couldn't find anywhere to report the illegal exhaust system to the state.

Anyway, I read a good idea the other day: anytime somebody coal-rolls you, just imagine them as a scared squid inking behind it as it flees.
Haha, I like that! Unfortunately he didn't have a front license plate (of course in a state that requires it).

I just supported this developer by purchasing the Premium Upgrade/Premium Mode. No clue yet as to what I gained as I haven't tried anything yet. I don't generally use this program on my mobile device. I usually pull out the USB Drive and use my laptop.

I'm going to purchase an OTG. Any suggestions? I have an Android Note 8.

I look forward to using all the feature real soon. Thank You!

I think most of the newer Samsung phone came with OTG adapter. They called it USB transfer adapter or something.. for use to transfer your old phone's apps/data to the new one. If not, just get one from amazon that will fit your phone's usb slot (USB C I think?).

I didn't remember that my phone came with one and I bought this one from Anker:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NKPGW9/

Both works fine.

Reactions: Timmy T.
I just supported this developer by purchasing the Premium Upgrade/Premium Mode. No clue yet as to what I gained as I haven't tried anything yet. I don't generally use this program on my mobile device. I usually pull out the USB Drive and use my laptop.

I look forward to using all the feature real soon. Thank You!

Check the box your phone came in, you might already have one. If not, this is pretty comprehensive: Reliable TeslaCam/Sentry Drive on iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows | LivingTesla

Reactions: Timmy T.
Not sure if this is happening to anyone else but I'm getting lots of artifacts during playback. My playback screens cycles with red, green, and blue flashes. Playing individual camera videos are completely normal though so it's not an issue with the video files.

If it's a Samsung device, that's something I heard of a couple of months ago and it started happening to people after a Samsung update. It should act more reliably if you keep playback speed at 2X or below. I still have to get my hands on an affected device to see if I can figure out a workaround in the app.

Any chance for an SMB option? What is this app written in? I'm considering using Flutter to make a cross platform viewer to work with my Raspberri Pi Zero, p.s. I also own this app but since my files are wireless on the Pi i cannot view them even though my phone can connect using a file explorer supporting SMB/CIFS. I dont want to hookup cables every time to view sentry.

Reactions: gmtom1