TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Free Autopilot Trial?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bushcaddy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bushcaddy

Bushcaddy Member

Does anyone know if us Canadians are going to get the 14 day fee Autopliot trial?

2. Kira

Kira Member

I hope so. Would be nice if it was 18.42 days with the exchange rate ;)

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 1
  3. noicepls

noicepls Kill Urban ICE - Save Polar Ice

Good one. Might have to be even longer though, starting from the time the Ministry approves Summon.

• Like x 1
  4. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

Agreed, a test/grace period after delivery would help Tesla increase sale of AP.

However, AP has some quirks that should addressed as I can see misuse = disaster.

After a DIY PPF full install, I'm finally taking the 3 out onto the 401; aka construction truck alley for my daily commute to work. Overall impression is AP is a godsend. No more stress and worry IF a few best practices are followed:

1. Merging lane = bad place to sit especially during the morning rush. AP will drastically slow down at the last moment when being cut off. Cruising in the middle lane I found no issues. Cause would be the narrow Field of View of the distance sensor in the front.

2. Autosteer warning doesn't chime anymore? I was expecting a chime; but instead I noted a flashy blue interface on the speedo. I can see some issues here should it disengage and the car goes into another lane. I suppose this is when the steering wheel will vibrate because of lane departure (more testing required).

3. Far left lane is pretty good place to be (setting 135km/h) as most drivers will tend to sit at 120km/h here. Should they move over, AP speeds past and resumes 120km/h until the next left lane sitter is met.

** Relating to point 2. Knowing which mode you're using is the key! Adaptive cruise control alone that requires 100% steering is pretty awesome feature already except you can slam into the barriers/other lanes. So - if the user is unaware Autosteer has disengaged, this could be dangerous. I can see myself using adaptive cruise control on 95% of the time as it'll technically never crash the car as long as I am driving/steering. This allows for full input while still being relaxed and not worrying about a head on collision.

However, the 5% chance that I am distracted by something could pretty much total the car because it's just so damn fast! Feels way faster than 0-60 in 5 seconds especially after a left/right turn when the car is already in motion.

Anyone have any other tips when using EAP?

5. Maverick09

Maverick09 Member

Great post @5_+JqckQttqck

For anyone who regularly commutes on GTHA highways, EAP is probably the best investment you can make for your sanity and health. My commute from Hamilton to Pearson every day is ow bearable...a few minutes of driving to get into the perfect lane, and then let AP do the heavy lifting (stop-go-stop-go-stop-go) while I get to enjoy my podcast and coffee. I arrive at my office or back home much more refreshed.

With AP engaged I find i'm much more aware of traffic conditions and other drivers,instead of going into zombie driver mode.

Some of my key points for using AP:

1. Acknowledge the systems limitations. For instance - with AP engaged and the car travelling at 120km/h with some stretch of road in front of you but then if you see all traffic lanes coming up to an immediate stop. I will use the right scroll wheel to reduce the speed in order to have the system slow you down in a reasonable manner and to avoid a lurching slowdown once AP reacts to the car in front of you

2. Trying to find the right distance between you and the car in front of you. I currently use 2 car lengths. It seems to provide the best combination of response time (avoiding lurching stops) and not leaving a massive gap inviting cars to continually cut in front of you during rush hour traffic. If the highway is free flowing I will increase the car length to 3 cars.

3. I find resting my arm on the drivers door arm handle and my hand on the steering wheel at the 7 o'clock position, resting my hand against the spoke creates enough of a force which minimize the nuisance alarms.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. RedSafari

RedSafari Member

@5_+JqckQttqck - EAP will definitely give a loud buzz if it disengages and needs you to take over. To see it in action, try cruising in a lane that disappears in a merge (and be ready to take over). When it gets to the end, loud beeps, like in a frontal collision warning, will sound off and ask you to take over.

• Like x 1
  7. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

#7 AFGTA, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    I'm doing a software update from 28.1 right now. Hope it's the EAP trial!

8. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

No such luck. Updated from 28.1 to 28.5. Release notes says minor improvements and bug fixes.

9. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

If you do any 400 series highway driving at all for your commute to work or road trip. EAP is a MUST! It frees your mind for really focusing on a podcast or enjoying the scenery.

10. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

80+% of my driving is on 400 series highways. Daily round trip commute from Georgetown to Scarborough of 160k on 400/407. Looking forward to the free trial

• Like x 1
  11. insaini

insaini Member

Got my 14 day trial this morning ! Along with an email from Tesla letting me know

• Like x 2
  12. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

So does it cost you extra to purchase since it wasn't optioned initially or do you get the original cost since you bought it after the trial? Any special pricing with this promotion/trial run?

13. insaini

insaini Member

No special pricing - just a simple 14 day trial of EAP ... after the 14 day trial it will again be $7900 to purchase as I did not purchase it as an option when I first bought the car

14. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

If they were smart about it, they'd offer a discount to push people over the fence ;)

Anyone from Tesla monitoring these posts?

15. Insilin

Insilin Member

Yeah, I was also hoping there would be a discount to $6600. Would've made it more tempting to grab if I enjoy it enough

16. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

What's your commute / road trip frequency? That's the answer to the question :)

17. Insilin

Insilin Member

My commute is all city driving at the moment so it's not worth it in that sense. I have done a couple road trips to Montreal, and want to do one to Halifax in the fall. That's the only reason I would want it.

18. Blu-Ion

Blu-Ion Member

Absolutely, huge loss for Tesla to offer the free trial and not charge the original $6600, bad policy in my opinion.

Once Full Self Driving is offered, they should do the same, within a 2 week or one month timeframe, more people would buy

19. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

What does no EAP equal to? Just adaptive cruise control? That feature alone is already pretty good.

20. Insilin

Insilin Member

You don't even get adaptive cruise control. You just get regular cruise control